Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: For Every Joy There Is a Price To Be Paid

• Start Topic

On 3/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Oregonrain said:

Poor planing again on Nicole's part. She was right in saying that Mohomoud was being inflexiable regarding  her choice in dress but she could have brought modest clothing with her to Egypt that is more suitable to her style. She could have brought a modest swimsuit that is not a burkini. I have seen suits with long sleeve rash guards and knee shorts. While not a full burkini, still covered up enough to satisfy the modesty requirements. If Mahomoud objects to that, at least she can say that she tried and can use that as proof of him not compromising on anything. Same with regular dress. She is already dressed very modestly in my opinion but objects to wearing the hijab. That is totally understandable but he objects to her wearing anything other that the full covering instead of modest clothing with a head covering. THere are hijabs made of lighter fabrics and more colors. He seems to expect her to wear the abaya which is the dark covered sheet covering you from head to toe. That is no a religious requirement because if it were, all muslim countries would be that strict. Some countries allow women to dress modestly with a head covering similiar to how she is already dressing. Egypt is not one of the more strict countries which tells me that it is Mohomoud's issue and not completly the norm in Egypt. Many women go uncovered in Egypt.

I am wondering, are these variants in requirements similar to those of the Amish? Some ordnungs are very strict, and others more permissive - are various Muslim communities the same in this regard?

Regardless, she is being a stubborn brat about the whole thing. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Not Buyin It said:

I am wondering, are these variants in requirements similar to those of the Amish? Some ordnungs are very strict, and others more permissive - are various Muslim communities the same in this regard?

There are actually two variables at play…firstly religious requirements, then cultural requirements.   These are layered together to determine the family or community practices. 

• Like 2

Re Alcohol and Islam- I always understood it was absolutely forbidden. In the strict Muslim countries  that haave also had much less European influence  ( Saudi Arabia,for example) it is absolutely forbidden. Morrocco and Tunisia had the French influence and also have a bit more tourism so I think they look the other way with tourists, same I think with Dubai. But in the strict sense, Islam forbids alcohol. In other religions wine is used in the rituals but in Islam it is absolutely not. How Nicole could just say that Makhmood does not like her to drink is just mind boggling to this teevee watcher.

WHAT DOES THE QURAN SAY ABOUT ALCOHOL?

Drinking alcohol is considered haram, or forbidden, in Islam. As proof of the prohibition, Islamic scholars and Muslim religious authorities typically point to a verse in the Quran, the Muslim holy book, that calls intoxicants “the work of Satan” and tells believers to avoid them. Additionally, they cite sayings of Prophet Muhammad and the negative effects that alcohol can have.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Nicole harps on how Mackmewd wants her to dress, covering herself completely, how she should behave, how she should pray, etc...Nicole has never mentioned anything about their sex life, I find that interesting.

Nicole says that she typically sits in her room for 12 hours a day, WTF? Can't she do something more constructive with her time, Mack's mother is home all day and the two of them don't interact, Mother Mack can't teach her how to cook or have her help clean or go to the market, go to a museum, anything? 

It has been four months that Nicole has been sitting in her room for 12 hours a day, her roots have not shown and her hair length has not changed so maybe she gets out to the salon on occasion.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Nicole harps on how Mackmewd wants her to dress, covering herself completely, how she should behave, how she should pray, etc...Nicole has never mentioned anything about their sex life, I find that interesting.

Nicole says that she typically sits in her room for 12 hours a day, WTF? Can't she do something more constructive with her time, Mack's mother is home all day and the two of them don't interact, Mother Mack can't teach her how to cook or have her help clean or go to the market, go to a museum, anything? 

It has been four months that Nicole has been sitting in her room for 12 hours a day, her roots have not shown and her hair length has not changed so maybe she gets out to the salon on occasion.

…or take language or religion lessons?

• Like 6
On 4/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Similar reason why I stopped going to SeaWorld. You’ve probably heard the story of Shamu, the killer orca whale, right? She was captured in the wild in 1965 when she was 3 years old. Her mother was killed by harpooners right in front of her! She was abducted and sent to SeaWorld San Diego, where they performed those brutal tricks on her like withholding food in order to perform dangerous stunts. In 1971, someone had to ride on Shamu’s back for one such stunt, but the woman fell off and was literally bitten by Shamu! The lady was sent to the hospital and Shamu died a few months later of blood poisoning and a uterine infection.

Imagine. Just imagine. How many more years would she have lived if she was still kept in the wild? I would have easily said 100.

There is a documentary called Blackfish about captive orcas that was well done although very sad.

On 4/8/2023 at 7:51 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Could it be a wig?  Although we saw it wet once I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 4/7/2023 at 4:31 PM, Not Buyin It said:

But that's her whole reasoning for designing new attire for Muslim woman. There's nothing available that's modest, comfortable and nice looking. I think she dresses modestly, and don't think a headress should be a crime. Her question regarding underwear under that Muslim swimsuit was innocent and not offensive.

• Like 2
On 4/8/2023 at 7:51 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

OR... that's an expensive wig she takes good care of.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, goofygirl said:

OR... that's an expensive wig she takes good care of.

I really think it’s a wig in her Egypt scenes but it could be her real hair (or a different wig) in her THs because that hair has some darker roots, looks silkier and hangs “flatter.”

On 4/8/2023 at 8:51 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

This. 

• Like 2
On 3/29/2023 at 4:30 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Riding camels is NOT okay. They are often mistreated and abused by those who “train” and own them in captivity. Just like elephants. Or tigers and bears who “pose” for pictures. My 17 year old daughter had to do a research project for science class and wanted to warn you guys.

I didn’t know this about camels- I thought it was appropriate to ride them like horses. I’ll look more into that, as I have a trip to Morocco planned next year.  Thank you. 

• Thanks 1