Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Country Night

• Start Topic

For a very, very weird reason I know who the Macaw is.

There was a moment in his clue package where he's talking and takes a very noticeable gasp-y breath and my brain remembered.

Spoiler

It's David Archuleta from American Idol season 7. He did that gasp thing all the time. It was the reason I didn't want him to win! Plus the other clues fit. Silver medal for coming in second, pushy stage dad, performing as a kid. Being a quiet and humble person. Plus the big life change is him recently coming out. And while his voice has changed a bit as he's matured, those high notes are still the same. I love this for him.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Another solid trio of performers, but Axolotl was the obvious one for the early elimination. She wasn't bad; she was quite good actually. But compared to the other two she was  the worst of the good. 

As for Fairy and Macaw, I think Macaw was the better of the two in the end. It was close, but the right call was made. He also seemed more at ease in the costume and on the stage with how he moved around while singing, which (to me) is a factor in picking who I want to go forward. 

As for who the unmasked ones are; I vaguely recognized Axolotl but not really; mainly because I'm not a fan. Ditto for who Fairy was. But that's normal for me. I'm horrible at recognizing people on good days and I'm just out of touch of most modern 'celebrities', especially ones outside of TV/movies. :) 

• Like 3

I was disappointed for Fairy.  I think she was superior to Macaw.  I haven't looked at the spoiler to see who he is.  I thought Macaw was decent but I thought Fairy was better, her tone was more pleasing to me.  The Battle song wasn't really suited well for either of them.

2 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Another solid trio of performers, but Axolotl was the obvious one for the early elimination. She wasn't bad; she was quite good actually. But compared to the other two she was  the worst of the good. 

As for Fairy and Macaw, I think Macaw was the better of the two in the end. It was close, but the right call was made. He also seemed more at ease in the costume and on the stage with how he moved around while singing, which (to me) is a factor in picking who I want to go forward. 

As for who the unmasked ones are; I vaguely recognized Axolotl but not really; mainly because I'm not a fan. Ditto for who Fairy was. But that's normal for me. I'm horrible at recognizing people on good days and I'm just out of touch of most modern 'celebrities', especially ones outside of TV/movies. :) 

I have no idea who Axolotl is, but I don't follow wrestling.  However, I have heard the name Nicki Bella.  This woman, I've never ever even heard her name before.  But I also didn't recognise the first clue giver, who was supposed to be some kind of "comedy legend" according to Nick Cannon.

Holly Robinson Peete has had a long career on TV, she is most famous for "21 Jump Street" opposite Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco, and "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper".  She is married to former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete.

• Like 3

Don't know who the wrestler is but don't follow wresting. The only reason why I know Nicki Bella is from DWTS where she met Artem.

I know Holly mostly from 21 Jump Street and Hangin' With Mr. Cooper. I think her voice was not suited for the battle song so Macaw was better in the battle. They shouldn't have used the bell in the first show for Round 2.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

They shouldn't have used the bell in the first show for Round 2.

Yeah, it turns out that they saved 2 of the weaker contestants early on. I've been wondering if they've been told who to save before hand.

Parade and GoldDerby agree with the above spoiler for Macaw, although early in the evening last night some Parrotheads were pushing the idea that it was Jimmy Buffett. 

My wife knew that Fairy was Holly Robinson-Peete from the "21" clue.  Pretty cool that she got to sing with Oscar the Grouch who her dad introduced.

7 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I don't understand why they don't do ties (as Nicole mentioned) as that's floated through my head a couple times.

7 hours ago, realdancemom said:

They shouldn't have used the bell in the first show for Round 2.

The "Ding Dong Bell" is supposed to act as a tie, while still limiting the number that go through.  I thought that the Gargoyle did not deserve the bell at the time and I really wish that they had saved it for Axolotl.  At least they got the costume right!

Axolotl.thumb.jpg.de34d02154379c115ac38a3a68b5044d.jpg

Edited by JH Lipton
  • Like 3

They've stepped up the wardrobe for Nick and the panel with these theme nights over the last couple of seasons.  The taglines under their names have been good, too.  This helps offset the lower quality of the performer costumes compared to earlier seasons.

And they've gotten a little carried away with the background singers.  I'm trying to hear something I recognize in the voice when the performers are singing...only to be thwarted by too loud backing vocals.

This was an average group (of what I could hear), and I hope the next batch are better.

• Like 3
On 3/23/2023 at 11:14 AM, blackwing said:

Holly Robinson Peete has had a long career on TV, she is most famous for "21 Jump Street" opposite Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco, and "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper".  She is married to former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete.

At this point she seems most famous for those Lipozene commercials sge and her husband did. ;)