Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: The Good, The Bad and The Lucky

Trini
  • Start Topic

As Barry and Iris prepare for their new life, luck changes for those in Central City. Cecile takes on a case with Allegra's help, involving a string of unfortunate - and highly unexpected - events. Meanwhile, Chester and the team work with Khione to figure out her abilities.

Chad Lowe directed the episode written by Thomas Pound & Jess Carson.

Airdate: 3/15/2023

FLA906a_0057r.jpg?ssl=1

Ok I feel bad for Becky's fiance getting killed almost killed but she had that wedding dress out of the bag so that one's on her.

Wait are Iris and Barry not in this episode after the opening?

I can't wait for this Earth Mother nonsense to end. Blue Streaks is not selling it at all.

Had enough sense to wear gloves but not enough to put up their hair. Television crime scene investigation is consistent at least.

Kenny Rogers reference so I'm now preemptively sad we won't hear the song.

Chilldude you have a crush on your dead girlfriend's doppelgänger and it's creepy. 

Cecile if you would hire more lawyers you could have staffed out Becky's case and made your train. Chester and Chilldude could have watched/protected Becky instead of testing Blue Streaks for powers. Then you could have come home after Jenna's birthday and not feel like shit.

Why couldn't they have had Caitlin be successful in resurrecting Frost and then the two of them move away with Chilldude? Blue Streaks suuuuuuuuuuuuucks and these scenes are torture.

Cecile hire more lawyers and split your time evenly between Central City and wherever Joe and Jenna moved to. 

Why wouldn't Tony just ask Becky to help him? With her luck powers she could have just joined him when he bought a lottery ticket and he would pay off his debts with the winnings. I know, Bad Guy Logic is at work but the simpler, and less violent, solution is to just hang out with her.

They are really spending the final season of this show on the nothing relationship of Allegra and Chester and now a boring mystery of what Blue Streaks really is. What a waste.

I assume that GG and CP were very happy to get a full episode's pay for a little bit of easy work.  And how much time has passed?  Iris's hair looks significantly longer, but she isn't showing yet.

I cannot believe it took them so long to investigate why Becky's powers suddenly reversed themselves.  Wouldn't the inexplicable switch be the first thing to look into?

You know, it's a shame Cecile doesn't know someone who can run her to Joe and Jenna's in the blink of an eye regardless of where he happens to be at the moment.  That sure would be handy, especially if that person happened to be Jenna's brother in law.  Although maybe she's the one person who doesn't know he's the Flash because they're worried she might accidentally blab the truth that Barry is happy to intentionally reveal all the time.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me. Has anyone mourned Caitlin at ALL? Danielle Pennebaker is still on the show, so it is easy to forget her character is dead. But seriously no one seems to care or give her a second thought.

Becky Sharpe is a fun character.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Like 4
On 3/15/2023 at 6:21 PM, cambridgeguy said:

You know, it's a shame Cecile doesn't know someone who can run her to Joe and Jenna's in the blink of an eye regardless of where he happens to be at the moment. 

Not to mention those smoke bomb tele-spheres that Nash appears to have left them an unlimited quantity of.

5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Did we - in a final season that was shortened, really just have a filler episode where the 2 leads were off for majority of it? 

I got flashbacks to the last couple of seasons of Arrow where there were so many episodes centered around the mostly unwatchable New Team Arrow characters.

• Like 1

Ah, the good old "Grant Gustin and Candice Patton need an easy week" episode!  To be fair, they deserve it.  But I always kind of know what to expect when Barry and Iris disappear for a while.

Fun seeing Becky Sharpe again and I really like the actress still.  The story was pretty obvious though.  As soon as you see the future brother in-law and how all the claims about her fiance having a gambling addiction only came from him, you just knew he was going to actually be the one behind everything.  But there has been worse "metas of the week" stories, so I won't complain about it too much.

Yup, Joe's whole idea of moving out to the countryside and Cecile visiting on the weekends certainly is working out for everyone, huh?  If Jesse L. Martin really only had limited availability this season, it really wouldn't have been that hard to just not have Joe on screen during all of this stuff, instead of creating this half-baked problem to cause more angst and drama for Cecile.  Granted, as mentioned above, there are ways Cecile couldn't probably get there even quicker that doesn't rely on trains.  But I'm clearly not suppose to be thinking too much about this stuff, I guess...

So, Khinoe is neither meta nor human.  Cool?  Also, good old Chilllame continues to make everything all about him.  Quit it, Mark.  This show is The Flash: not The Chillame.

Poor bar manager was very relatable.  Really, everyone in Central City has been through the shit.  Him, every barista at Jitters, commuters getting delayed due to all the nonstop meta traffic jams, etc.

Cool getting Chad Lowe back into the director's chair.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2023 at 9:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Why couldn't they have had Caitlin be successful in resurrecting Frost and then the two of them move away with Chilldude?

I liked Frost/Chill a lot together.  So if they can't be together I will pull a hand-wavium and be okay if Khione hooks up with him.

It was nice to see  the actress is always who played Becky.  She is so entertaining to watch.

I like the idea that someone can be so lucky, they can come back from the dead via Crisis. Actually, that would fit a lot of characters. Just checking . . .. Becky was one of the "bus metas" that got killed and power-snatched by DeVoe, right?

Khinoe is neither human nor meta. She is her own thing . . .annoying. Look, we're dealing with a limited number of episodes, we're closing up plots and bringing in folks from the dying Arrowverse . . . . just establish that Khinoe (seriously, that's how her name is spelled?) has nature powers, Danielle coveted Nicole Kang's costumed look in Batwoman, and establish her as Poison Ivy, or Poison Ivy-adjacent. Maybe the plot is annoying because Mark is involved, and he really doesn't contribute much.

• Like 1

Iris looked gorgeous in her two scenes. 

"He was The Gambler. The only thing missing was a roasted chicken." That amused me far more than it should have. 

Khione trying to make ice powers work felt like a blatant ripoff of the first Spider-Man movie. So is she actually the goddess Khione if she's not human?

Allegra moving in with Cecile seems a little weird and unnecessary with the limited number of eps left but whatever. Why didn't Cecile just drive to Joe and Jemma after the big showdown? I get not bugging Barry on vacation but I know she has a car. 

Becky's fun. Good on her for being alive and finding love. 

• Like 1

The Good (with some 'buts'): Iris' hair looked great! The baby shower scene was cute! But why was it so soon and so short, and without the actual family of the expectant parents?? (And it's just sad because this means that they not going to have a proper party scene later for the lead character.) Barry & Iris had a sweet kiss. Becky is kinda entertaining but not at all a strong enough story or character for an A-plot.

The Bad: Skipped the Chillame and Klip-ins plot, so I don't know how bad it was. But I know it's bad anyway because it still makes no sense that Chillame is here and part of the Team.

Are we supposed to care about Cecile feeling like a bad mother when a) they've shown she IS a bad mother (unintentionally, but still); b) since we found out she's a mother - in Season 3 - the show has spent at most 3 episodes since then focused on that aspect of her character (even though she has two children and two "step" children); and c) she chose to be apart from her daughter, because superheroing was more important than family to her?? And again, this wasn't a good story for the A-plot.

That's not even your house, Cecile, how are you inviting people to move in??

They've done episodes with less screentime for Grant and Candice before, but never this bad. They only appeared for less than two minutes! Maybe everything wouldn't have felt so irrelevant if they had done a story that tied back to Barry & Iris or The Flash, or the next villain, but none of that happened. I mean, the lead characters just found out their future child is on the way, and the next episode they are mostly absent and the only follow-up is 30 seconds of a baby shower.

It just seems like a bad choice in the final, short season of a show named The Flash.

The Lucky: Lucky that I even bothered to watch any of this episode outside of the WestAllen scenes.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:26 PM, KaveDweller said:

It just occurred to me. Has anyone mourned Caitlin at ALL? Danielle Pennebaker is still on the show, so it is easy to forget her character is dead. But seriously no one seems to care or give her a second thought.

Fun fact: (I didn't notice, but I saw it mentioned elsewhere) images of Khione have replaced Caitlin in the opening credits; so they really seem to be done with her.  😬