Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Jumping right into a VoiceOver. The CW will never change.

Owl coin alert!

Ok Rule #1 about throwing a party in high school is to put away the valuables. Also my head hurts from the relationship anvils for Turner and Stephanie. Not against it just wishing for a bit of subtlety.

Bruce is dead but Misha Harvey's here. 

Nice move grabbing a walkie and misdirecting. Bad move stealing the cop car.

Turner found the Bat Cave in record time. I do like the pacing so far.

I love that maroon coat Harvey's wearing at the funeral. I want one.

I get this is part of Turner's origin story but I'd rather Harvey do the eulogy. Misha would sell it better.

Cressida is Turner's Alfred. I like her.

Duella gives good crazy eyes.

Harper's ready to confess to killing Batman to keep Cullen safe. That's love.

A real twist would be if Bruce went nuts and arranged all of this as an elaborate suicide. Wouldn't explain why Turner would be set up rather than the money coming out of his own account so it won't happen but still would be interesting. Right now I think we haven't yet met the person behind the murder.

It makes no sense for Bruce's lawyers to refuse to represent Turner. Even if they thought he did it he's the sole beneficiary to the Wayne fortune and is entitled to a defense. Criminal defense lawyers would be crawling over each other to represent him for the paycheck alone.

Nice to see the Gotham police are as corrupt as ever.

Carrie Kelly is adorable but she revealed her identity way too easily. I know it's on purpose but be careful sweetie. Don't be like Barry and reveal yourself all around town. Gotham will make you pay for it.

Court Of Owls!

• Like 2

Okay, so this is a world where Bruce Wayne adopts an orphan, yet brings another kid into his quest to end crime in Gotham. Kinky. I'll probably still miss Batwoman, though. And the kid's name is Turner, which . . . huh. Just . . . huh.

Also, Castiel is Harvey Dent, and he's more or less Turner's uncle. And one character claims to be the daughter of the Joker, born and raised in Arkham Asylum. Riiiiiiiiight.

If nothing else, this does look promising. Could be the next Gotham. Could be the next Birds of Prey, which I don't think should ever be talked about. Minimum, the show has enough clout to get away with a friggin' beheading at the very end.

1 minute ago, edhopper said:

They kill Batgirl and keep this?

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of WB execs. Wait, sorry, wrong vigilante . . . .

• Like 1

I only tuned in for Misha, to check out his next project.  He seems very excited about it.  I will say right of that the "cool young thieves" were annoying as hell, especially miss joker's daughter.  I hate smug and she's the most smug of the lot of them.  I'm not sure how much I'll be able to tolerate of any of the young cast.  I may be keeping a finger on the FF button.

Pilots tend to usually end up being rough, but even then this was.... kind of a struggle to get through.  Got a little better at the end once they finally confirmed the Court of Owls involvement, but all that build up was a chore to watch at moments.

Not surprised the younger cast in particular seemed to be affected the most, as they are no doubt probably trying to get a feel for the characters.  Strangely, I thought the actress playing Duela/Joker's kid was probably the strongest, but the character itself was obnoxious and I just wanted someone to tell her to cram it (although, I guess that's in character: like father, like daughter?)  I guess Robin and Tuner's BFF were decent enough too, but Turner himself was pretty wooden and the actress playing Harper Row felt like she's trying to do her best Zendaya impersonation and kept coming off short.

Fun seeing Misha Collins, but while I usually do a solid job at separating actors from their previous work, it's probably going to take an episode or two for me to see him as Harvey Dent and not just Castiel pretending to be a lawyer for one hell of a undercover mission that the Supernatural gang is trying to figure out!

Nice to know that no matter the universe, the GCPD completely sucks.

What's the over/under that a) Brody will either be a member of the Court of Owls or will be related to one of the members and b) Turner and Duela hook-up because there is no way this show is not going to have Batman's son and Joker's daughter become a thing!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

What's the over/under that a) Brody will either be a member of the Court of Owls or will be related to one of the members

It usually takes me a while to remembered everybody's names. Was Brody the asshole that Turner's BFF was hooking up with? In that case I'd say he is too young to be a member himself, but he could be the son of a member.

• Like 1

So, we have the Joker's daughter. I couldn't catch who the other kids parents were.

TV Guide implied that it was Misha Collins' show, with the kids as background characters; very disappointed.

9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

It usually takes me a while to remembered everybody's names. Was Brody the asshole that Turner's BFF was hooking up with? In that case I'd say he is too young to be a member himself, but he could be the son of a member.

Yeah, that was him.  He probably is too young, so I agree that if there is a Court twist of some kind with him, it will be his parents being part of it.  Either way, I suspect he will have some kind of significance here because I don't see him just being a random jerk.

I didn’t hate it which is a good start.

Regarding Brody,

Spoiler

His parents have been cast so more than likely he isn’t just some random and his family being the Court of Owl might be a good guess. 

The episode is alright. The cast isn’t the worst. I can deal with the Joker’s daughter being obnoxious as it fits with being the Joker’s kid. i do have to agree with many other who found the adopted son both wooden and also not needed. It feels like they could have just been a little more creative and told almost the same story without Turner and just the other 5 teens. 

Also could have done without the interrogation/exposition scenes to not only give out backstory but also tell the audience the diversity of the character. I am sure there were more organic ways to let the audience know that Harper is bi and Cullen is trans. 

I do think the show has potential so I’ll keep watching to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this.  However, I felt the weak part of the plot was the adopted son who was totally unaware of who his adopted father was.  Also, once it was known that Bruce Wayne was Batman, I'm surprised that stately Wayne Manor wasn't immediately overrun by people searching for the Bat Cave and other Bat technology/souvenirs.  I also imagine there will be a plethora of lawsuits for assault, etc. directed against the estate.

If the story keeps moving and they don't get into an overload of teen angst, I will be watching.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, Tyro49 said:

So, we have the Joker's daughter. I couldn't catch who the other kids parents were.

The other kids who were falsely accused are Harper Row and her brother Cullen Row. Their father is just the run-of-the-mill abusive parent, not a supervillain. Duela, Harper, Cullen, Stephanie, Carrie and Harvey are all from the comics. Only Turner, Brody and Cressida are original characters.