Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: DC Superheroes Night

• Start Topic

I, along with everyone else on the planet, knew that was Michael Bolton as soon as he opened his mouth. And as soon as he said he had an album coming out in the spring, it made sense that he'd be a one-and-done. Not much fun pretending someone is Richard Marx when it's completely obvious.

Looks like Medusa might not win in a walk after all.

• Like 6

Yeah all 3 of the singers were strong tonight. But I could tell Wolf was the one and done. His costume was very basic compared to the others.  

Is Bolton having health problems of some sort? He wasn't moving much on stage (and that was an obvious double for the clue package), and even unmasked he didn't seem to look that great. They didn't even mention him showing up a few seasons  back in the Duets challenge too and seemed to keep his time on camera as short as possible, just long enough to promote his new songs. 

I'm a little surprised they scheduled 2 bell acts back to back, but I guess that's how it worked out. Gargoyle's clearly on for 2 or 3 eps while Squirrel can do more. 

So 5 songs and 3 were hero related. I guess that mostly works. I wonder if Bolton picked the Doors because he wanted that one. "Kiss from a Rose" would probably have worked just as well and fit the DC theme better. I honestly did not really expect Kryptonite to be the final song; I figured it would be one of the solo songs, but I'm glad it was done. 

• Like 4

I would rather have listened to an entire episode of Nicole Scherzinger singing.  She looked amazing in her Catwoman suit and she sounded great on "Holding Out for a Hero".  Just like when she sang "Phantom of the Opera" last season, I feel cheated that we didn't get to hear more.  They should have her record the full song and put it on the website.

I thought Jenny looked great as Harley Quinn and I liked Robin's Robin costume and the chryon that he "doesn't need Batman".  On the other hand, yeeech to Ken Jeong.  I loathe Ken Jeong and the opening shot of him leaning back trying to look sexy and mysterious with his "come hither" look.  No.  Just no.  As Nick would say "sit yo ass down".

I thought Gargoyle was better than Squirrel.  But neither were as good as Debbie Gibson.  I would love to get confirmation that Debbie didn't want to do more than one show, because based on what she said on the show and in EW, she loves the show and loved the experience.  I think she should have been on the show for longer, but it seems obvious that the show is scripted and that they would have to save Medusa with the bell since they wanted to also advance Pentatonix.

What is wrong with Michael Bolton?  I get that he's old, but something about him just seemed off.  When they took the mask off, he just stood there with zero expression and a complete dead blank stare.  Does he have any kind of mental cognition issue?  When he sang his signature song, he was like a robot.  Just stood there completely still.  Opened his mouth and sang with no emotion or expression.  It was like someone pulled the string on his back and singing just came out of his mouth, like an old-fashioned kid's doll.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Taeolas said:

s Bolton having health problems of some sort? He wasn't moving much on stage (and that was an obvious double for the clue package), and even unmasked he didn't seem to look that great.

He never moves when he performs. Besides his voice, that was part of the giveaway.

I was mildly amused they called it DC Superheros night and then had 3/4 judges dressed as characters mostly known for being villains (recent origin-story retcons aside).

• Like 1

I wonder if he's dealing with significant pain? And just trying to power through? He mostly just looked tired to me.

My conspiracy theory on Debbie Gibson is that she could only do one episode because it was already scripted that the person she was replacing would be a one and done. So she couldn't move on even though she ended up being the superior singer because it would throw off the schedule.

This is my favorite Michael Bolton song. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Ok, that was hilarious!  

On 3/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, blackwing said:

What is wrong with Michael Bolton?  I get that he's old, but something about him just seemed off.  When they took the mask off, he just stood there with zero expression and a complete dead blank stare.

I think he was shocked that he was the one let go. 🤷‍♂️

• Love 1
18 hours ago, P2C2E said:

My conspiracy theory on Debbie Gibson is that she could only do one episode because it was already scripted that the person she was replacing would be a one and done. So she couldn't move on even though she ended up being the superior singer because it would throw off the schedule.

Ah... yes, I see.  Since I too believe the show is already scripted in advance, this does make perfect sense.

27 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I think he was shocked that he was the one let go. 🤷‍♂️

He might be a better singer vocally, but Squirrel and Gargoyle were pretty good as well.  And they were a lot more entertaining.  He just stood there.  When Robin and Nicole both guessed him after his performance, I knew he was gone, because the pre-scripted nature of this show usually doesn't allow the panelists to give correct guesses on the first try for someone who will continue far into the competition.

• Like 1

That would be a twist I could see them doing some future season. Hell I'm surprised they haven't done a Reunion/"All Stars" season where they bring back folk in new costumes to have another run for the trophy. 

In any case, the bell has been run for this round so the next 2 eps should have 4 reveals happening. And I wouldn't be surprised if in the 3rd group the 2nd episode has the bell. This show is that predictable. :) 

• Useful 1
On 3/10/2023 at 1:15 PM, blackwing said:

Ah... yes, I see.  Since I too believe the show is already scripted in advance, this does make perfect sense.

He might be a better singer vocally, but Squirrel and Gargoyle were pretty good as well.  And they were a lot more entertaining.  He just stood there.  When Robin and Nicole both guessed him after his performance, I knew he was gone, because the pre-scripted nature of this show usually doesn't allow the panelists to give correct guesses on the first try for someone who will continue far into the competition.

I thought Michael Bolton had the best voice out of the three. He did just stand there so he was not entertaining. He did look like he was in pain. The other two were good though.

I agree that once Robin and Nicole guessed him, then he was a goner. There are plenty of times when I know that both of them know somebody just by their voice but they won't guess them if it's not their time to go.

Edited by realdancemom
Added Robin and Nicole guessing
23 hours ago, Bali said:

Okay, can anyone tell me what Nick's costume was supposed to be?

I don't think he was supposed to be anyone. He was wearing a designer coat, and the colors were a bit reminiscent of a comic. Reminded me a bit of Dick Tracy.