Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: A Launch Party and a Whole Human Being

Bort
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree. I feel like George and Mary are both in emotional affair territory with George and Brenda closer to crossing the line. 

I think based on what we are being shown that this is true, but the way that George and Brenda behaves makes me wonder if they are toying with a "reveal" that more happened then the audience has been told.  Especially given the way they were interacting at the hospital.  

• Like 1
On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Kaycee said:

Billy has a crush on Missy and she appears clueless about it.   

On 3/5/2023 at 4:13 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She knows, and has dealt with it in the past. He's not exactly subtle, and she's unusually perceptive.

I think she is taking the "ignore it" path, which is smart. She can't control Billy's feelings and taking the 'friendly neighbors and classmates' position is fine. I think this situation needs more representation on TV and I'm glad the writers haven't turned Missy into being rude for no reason or turned Billy into a creeper. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
On 3/6/2023 at 3:49 PM, ChitChat said:

Pastor Rob was attentive and seemed to care about Mary's problems.  That wasn't something she was getting from George at the time. 

In fairness, George was not getting that from her either. Hell, that brief period of rekindling they had earlier this season turned out to be because she wanted a baby for no better reason that she was feeling bored and List without the church.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

I don't think George and Brenda crossed into a physical relationship. George's heart attack halted the momentum at the bar where the whole thing started.

From that drunken night came a huge level of guilt. Working through that isn't straightforward and they are, or were, having an emotional affair that started that night. The level of awkwardness between Brenda, Mary, and George is a dead giveaway that something is wrong. Add that to Mary's crush and emotional affair with Pastor Rob and it's a tinder box ready to light up.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

In fairness, George was getting that from her either. Hell, that brief period of rekindling they had earlier this season turned out to be because she wanted a baby for no better reason that she was feeling bored and List without the church.

That was such a weird way for them to end the closeness that Mary and George seemed to have developed.  I guess it was inevitable if they're sticking with the imploding marriage storyline though.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I felt bad for Sheldon when he shared that his project was a complete failure. The timing was completely inappropriate (per usual) but working so hard on something you believe in so much, just to see it fail is devastating. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I forgot to mention that I felt bad for Sheldon when he shared that his project was a complete failure. The timing was completely inappropriate (per usual) but working so hard on something you believe in so much, just to see it fail is devastating. 

I wondered about that - would it really be the kind of thing that they would have expected to have a rush of people sign up for as soon as it was launched?  I can't remember now if that was ever talked about.   I mean were they expecting individuals to sign on or institutions?  Because why would that happen at 5 pm?  Seemed a funny time.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I wondered about that - would it really be the kind of thing that they would have expected to have a rush of people sign up for as soon as it was launched?  I can't remember now if that was ever talked about.   I mean were they expecting individuals to sign on or institutions?  Because why would that happen at 5 pm?  Seemed a funny time.

I doubt it, IIRC, they were building a searchable database. But to Sheldon it was a project he worked super hard on, was really excited about, and saw a need for it, so why wouldn't people want to sign up the moment it went live? Someone should have attempted to set expectations (not that he would listen).

It reminded me of TBBT episode where they were attempting to build an app and identified that it would be for just a small number of people and I can't remember if they launched it or decided to let it die.

Early on, I think in the episode YS was being interviewed for before going to college he became upset and said "I'm just a kid". Yea, he's a PITA, and he's older now, but he's still a kid.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, appositival said:

(This is total speculation, but I don't want to take chances if I'm right)

That might be what he actually meant about following his heart.  It might not have been about Mary.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, appositival said:

I'm not actually worried about Pastor Rob because ...

Hide contents

I'm pretty sure Pastor Rob is gay.

I kind of want that to happen because it would blow Mary's narrowly religious mind.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, appositival said:

I'm not actually worried about Pastor Rob because ...

Reveal spoiler

I'm pretty sure Pastor Rob is gay.

20 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That might be what he actually meant about following his heart.  It might not have been about Mary.

9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I kind of want that to happen because it would blow Mary's narrowly religious mind.

You're not alone but I really don't want to see this storyline. I don't think they could do it justice.

• Like 3

I'm really not sure where we really are with cannon now, with the almost kind of emotional affairs coming out, but but I think its probably easy to fit them into what we know about the Coopers later. Sheldon is almost incapable of reading the room, as we saw here, and his self centeredness is one of his defining traits, especially in BBT, so we can probably guess that some of this information can be fit into cannon filtered through Sheldon's own lens and not really understanding what was going on.

Awww baby Connie! Mandy's mom looked so salty that they named the baby after Connie, that's what you get!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

It's a classic TV thing though that everyone and his uncle hangs around a hospital when in real life most would be comfortably at home waiting for a phone call.

Unless, of course you happen to be a Duggar, Bates, or someone else of that ilk.

I just can't get over Pastor Rob's mustache. It just doesn't fit his face. Probably the actor was cast as a boy-man so he had masculine characteristics but was "safe" for Mary's crush.

• Like 3
On 3/5/2023 at 12:21 PM, DonnaMae said:

Why?  He looks like he could be her son.......with a moustache. 

No disrespect to the actor, but Pastor Rob looks like a troll.  Why Mary would be attracted to him is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
On 3/4/2023 at 11:49 AM, Sailorgirl26 said:

Why does this matter? 

I'm on a diet so I notice when people may have lost weight.  It's OK to notice things about the characters and actors and mention them here.  I'm struggling with a weight issue myself and trying to get healthy so I applaud an older woman who may have dropped a few.  At our age it's a serious health issue.  It doesn't matter to me for any other reason nor do I think it has to matter to anyone else. 

• Like 4
On 3/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, Me from ME said:

I just can't get over Pastor Rob's mustache. It just doesn't fit his face. Probably the actor was cast as a boy-man so he had masculine characteristics but was "safe" for Mary's crush.

In the episode where Mary is writing her romance novel I half expected the dream hero to be Pastor Rob.  It was interesting that they didn't go there.  I am guessing (if they gave this any thought at all) it is because Mary isn't attracted to Pastor Rob for his looks but because he pays attention to her and listens to her.  It's a good message to give but it seems to be something they've touched on and I hope Mary makes it clear to George that all she is looking for is someone to talk to!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

In the episode where Mary is writing her romance novel I half expected the dream hero to be Pastor Rob.  It was interesting that they didn't go there.  I am guessing (if they gave this any thought at all) it is because Mary isn't attracted to Pastor Rob for his looks but because he pays attention to her and listens to her.  It's a good message to give but it seems to be something they've touched on and I hope Mary makes it clear to George that all she is looking for is someone to talk to!

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Mary fantasize or dream about she and Pastor Rob have torrid tumble times?  I think it was when she was writing her romance novel.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Mary fantasize or dream about she and Pastor Rob have torrid tumble times?  I think it was when she was writing her romance novel.

I think you're right and she did have some thoughts about Pastor Rob but not in that particular episode.  Turned out the dream guy was played by the actor who played the hunky physicist in an early episode of BBT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Yes, I just saw the rerun of that episode although I don't remember whether she was writing the novel at the time as I was cooking when it was on, but I couldn't help but watch the dream sequence with her and Pastor Rob in bed together rolling around, which I wish I hadn't watched again because it was bad enough the first time, LOL. 🤮

On that note, on the order of "lusting in one's heart" I think so far Mary is more guilty of that than George because to our knowledge George has never fantasized about Brenda that way at all.  And if it didn't get shown on TV I usually take it to mean it probably didn't ever happen.  I'm sure he has some sort of attraction, but is trying not to let it get as far as fantasy at this point.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
On 3/3/2023 at 6:43 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

To he honest, while I agree with the way you all are saying Sheldon is being portrayed, I think the bigger problem is teen Iain isn't the actor child Iain was.

This is something I've noticed a few times with child actors; I felt the same way about Nolan Gould (Luke) on Modern Family. Youngsters are fearless and I think that as young actors grow up, they lose that a little bit. I feel like Iain will come around. I agree that the writing hasn't been a great this year, though I'm willing to put up with it because of the emphasis on characters other than Sheldon, who I actively disliked on TBBT. I love the rest of the family. 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Kaycee said:

When Georgie came out to announce the birth, he stated the baby's names was Constance with no last name mentioned. I am betting the child's last name matches the mothers last name. 

For no reason at all, I assumed CeCe was short for Constance Cooper. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:35 AM, Yeah No said:

I agree, but I see it as a totally Chuck Lorre-esque thing to do.  I suppose it may have been a matter of trying to make everyone guilty so as to make everyone seem less guilty.  It's a shitty thing to do to Mary's character but if it is what gets her to change into more of the Mary we knew on TBBT it might not be such a bad thing.  She's got to stop being so rigid at some point.

Chuck Lorre can't write realistic female characters; I will die on this hill. I don't think he's interested in even trying to.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

This is just what I was thinking; I wondered how they had advertised it, whether hunting for grants is more of a seasonal thing (in the academic year) or what. It seems like it's something people would slowly learn about. 

• Like 3
On 3/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, MsNewsradio said:

It’s canon that George was chronically unfaithful.

The only thing that's reliably canon is adult Geogie's comment that much of what Sheldon thought was going on wasn't what it seemed, and more was going on that he didn't know about. Both Mary and George right now are themselves reading too much into each other's relationships. Under those circumstances, all bets are off.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1