Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Up In Smoke

DearEvette
  • Start Topic

When a string of marijuana dispensaries are robbed, Killian discovers a connection that could derail his personal life. Also, Suarez has a fateful meeting with Allison Cha, an influential political policy advisor, and Bentley returns to work after his shooting.

Airdate: 02/19/2023

6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

KIllian, you're going to have to work hard to get off my shit list.  Griping and whining about those dirty pot smokers while your (soon to be ex) girlfriend sells alcohol at the bar.

Yes, exactly

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

KIllian, you're going to have to work hard to get off my shit list.  Griping and whining about those dirty pot smokers while your (soon to be ex) girlfriend sells alcohol at the bar.

Interesting that the actor playing Killian teared up when his girlfriend told him he was a bully and said they were done. 
Does that indicate he's going to turn over a new leaf? 
Or is he just an old leopard who cannot change his spots?

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Another episode to love the Regina character more. Did anyone else think that promoter overheard her talking to Suarez?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Or is he just an old leopard who cannot change his spots?

Maybe if his partner (“Gibbs”)-slaps him enough times, he’ll snap out of it. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Killian's been around as a cop long enough to have learned how to be a bully, take all kinds of shortcuts, and play the "poor me" card. (Not to mention stealing what he thought was an extremely valuable piece of memorabilia.) He might even have joined NYPD because he had that type of personality.

If there's not comeuppance for his behavior (more than just the boss pulling him off a case) I will be disappointed. 

And Regina's regret and sadness about what she did as a Narcotics cop (putting away people for selling small amounts of weed) felt real and something she wrestled with. I wonder what that was at the end of the show when she broke away so quickly and said she had to go.

Also: I strongly suspect Jimmy Smits' character will be asked to run for mayor by the consultant.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 3

This was a good episode even though as far as legal  pot dispensaries go it was pure fiction.  Its a tragedy how many people in this country were put in jail for minor marijuana busts (and for just possession, not even dealing it).  Times have changed  - at least in some states - but not everybody's attitude has.  Killian is this show's poster boy for so much of what we think as white man- sorry- to- see- the old days go-  thinking.   He is narrow minded and a bully and because he is a cop, thinks he can get away with stuff. 

I loved it when Regina called him out for locking up the chef - in which he was totally trying to sabotage the man's efforts to "go straight" and I almost cheered at the tv when his girlfriend called him out and said that she no longer wanted to be with him.   I'm sure that their separation will be temporary and somewhere along the line Killian will be partially redeemed but at the moment, it's good to savor his comeuppance. 

Does anybody else think that the police chief (Jimmy Smits) will wind up in a romance with the political consultant?   She might want to try and run him for mayor but I can't see him agreeing to do that. 

And as far as romance, it was odd that Regina suddenly left when things were getting hot and heavy.  Obviously our woman has some issues.  And I still have the feeling that the undercover guy she is kinda/sorta dating is wearing a red shirt.   I hope that I'm wrong, but for a guy who seems to still be an undercover guy in the drug business, it seems a little too obvious that he has a close friendship with a female cop.   

• Like 6
14 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Its a tragedy how many people in this country were put in jail for minor marijuana busts (and for just possession, not even dealing it). . . .
I loved it when Regina called him out for locking up the chef - in which he was totally trying to sabotage the man's efforts to "go straight" and I almost cheered at the tv when his girlfriend called him out and said that she no longer wanted to be with him. 

Although a lot of fictional cop series have dealt with the change in cannabis laws (e.g, The Closer's 2010 episode, "High Crimes"), this was the first time that I noticed dialog that really captured the emotional impact of the problematic issues:

• [KILLIAN'S GIRLFRIEND] So you just use your authority and your little gold shield and you made everybody that works in that kitchen with George and George's sister and George's wife scared to death you were gonna find a reason to send him back to prison.

The casting of both Black and white actors made the message more accessible, IMO, too, even if a little sugar-coated, as usual.

ETA:  
Killian's bullying isn't confined to those who run pot shops. But the legalization of something that was previously outlawed is a great narrative vehicle to demonstrate how bullies like Killian cling rigidly to antiquated taboos rather than admit they might be wrong.

Hopefully the writers don’t wait too many episodes to show his response to his girlfriend’s shutting down his apology (like they did with the baseball bat).

Real life side note: In the early 1970s I knew a very skilled and talented sculptor who had spent 3 years in prison in New Jersey for possession of 3 marijuana cigarettes/joints.  

14 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And I still have the feeling that the undercover guy [who DI Regina Haywood] is kinda/sorta dating is wearing a red shirt. 

😢😭

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Although a lot of fictional cop series have dealt with the change in cannabis laws (e.g, The Closer's 2010 episode, "High Crimes"), this was the first time that I noticed dialog that really captured the emotional impact of the problematic issues:

You beat me to the reference. I guess the law in New York just changed, Law & Order: Organized Crime recently  had a "last marijuana convict released as part 

• Like 2

I like that they referenced the rather neat New York law that gave people with felony marijuana convictions first priority in getting licenses to sell marijuana legally. That was a very forward-thinking law, and this being such a forward-thinking show, I'm glad they paid it homage a bit. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Geez Regina, stop pulling away. If he makes you smile and he gives you comfort, go for it gurl.

REGINA:
"I have a really difficult time letting myself off that easily. Hey, what do you tell yourself?"

SEAN:
"I tell myself it's my job. Some days I hate it, some days I love it. Most days, I don't think about it."

Aren't we all, Sean... but you did a good job, man, you calm her down.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

This was a good episode even though as far as legal  pot dispensaries go it was pure fiction. 

Which parts did you see as pure fiction?

There’s definitely a problem with these shops having to deal with cash because credit card companies don’t want to touch them. That has to change for safety reasons. Even though I’m uncomfortable with legalizing pot, probably mostly reflexive due to it being illegal for so long, I wouldn’t object at this point to it being legalized on a federal level. I had no idea about the New York law allowing those who had felony convictions for pot to get first crack at a license to run a dispensary; that is clever and fair

• Like 4
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Which parts did you see as pure fiction?

There’s definitely a problem with these shops having to deal with cash because credit card companies don’t want to touch them. That has to change for safety reasons. Even though I’m uncomfortable with legalizing pot, probably mostly reflexive due to it being illegal for so long, I wouldn’t object at this point to it being legalized on a federal level. I had no idea about the New York law allowing those who had felony convictions for pot to get first crack at a license to run a dispensary; that is clever and fair

The "pure fiction" to me is that there is currently only 2 Licensed/Legal  Recreational dispensaries in NYC (which includes Brooklyn, where East New York is located).   There are many illegal dispensaries, which the city has not apparently been cracking down on.  The show made it seem as the rash of robberies were all done on Legal dispensaries.   It would've made more sense to me if it were illegal dispensaries as there are many more of them than the legal ones, but then it wouldn't have been the inside job of the guy working for the City or State agency (I forget the details) who could tip off the heist team.  

But it is correct that banks and credit card companies don't want to deal with legal dispensaries because of the federal laws.   We are about 60 years into this idiotic "war on drugs" and you'd think we'd be beyond this stupidity by now.    There are some very good books out there about the history of (what is now illegal)  drug use and how we got to be in the current situation.   Prohibition didn't work with alcohol and it hasn't worked with drugs.   As the saying goes about the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.   I will now climb off the soapbox.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

The "pure fiction" to me is that there is currently only 2 Licensed/Legal  Recreational dispensaries in NYC (which includes Brooklyn, where East New York is located).   

There have also been medical marijuana dispensaries for years here. (In fact, it was a plotline in "Person of Interest" a few years back.) But yes, because of issues with federal law, the businesses are cash-heavy, and there are companies that specialize in providing security and cash pickup.

There are so many shops in my neighborhood selling weed that they'll drive each other out of business...it really is up to the city and state legislature to write some regulations that govern the purchase and sale. (NB: It is also now legal in NY to own 10 marijuana plants to grow-your-own).

The political consultant: loved her hair.

I liked when Killian asked how long they'd have to put up with the other detective, Morales gave him a look that I had interpreted as, "How long will I have to put up with you?"

I like Killian and how his story turned out. He represents a certain demographic that has difficulty dealing with changes that take away some of his control and authority. He's a necessary element to this show and the actor pulls it off nicely.

I like every character on this show. That's a rarity for me.

Yes, bring back the handshake! I thought Regina's handshakes and Killian's handshake were more meaningful than those half-hearted bro hugs that seem more mechanical and forced than meaningful. I was okay with Jamal's reaching out for Regina, though. She went along though not exactly comfortable with the gesture.

I hope the consultant didn't hear the convo between the Chief and Regina, but I fear she did, and will use it. Then I won't think as much of her hair anymore. 

• Like 4

For those who want to learn more about the new marijuana laws in NY, we had an interesting presentation last night at my Community Board meeting. It's a very humane plan: designed to get people who served time for selling weed to get licenses to sell it legally.

In real life, the state legislature is still writing regulations on dispensaries, and it's like the Wild West out here with stores opening on every block, weed trucks, and no one really being sure how to enforce laws that haven't been written yet!

https://cannabis.ny.gov/caurd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1