Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2023 at 5:33 PM, Badger said:

They cut a scene right after Dr. Turner and Nurse Crane are telling Heather they have to notify her parents about the baby.  Violet is in Cyril and Lucille's flat and he tells her that his stitches have been removed, and the nurse says he is doing well.  He and Lucille have decided that it will be a good use of their savings for him to buy a ticket to Jamaica; he has holiday and sick leave so it will be two weeks. She asks when is he going.  He says Nurse Crane is driving him to the airport in the morning.

Violet says that she can't think of anything better than for him to be in the sun with the person he loves and for them to sort out any problems

Why didn't we see this?  I'm sure all of our US viewers were wondering what happened with this couple.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 12

The writing was on the wall for Cyril once Lucille left the show. It's possible the next episode has some throwaway line about Cyril taking a job in Jamaica to be with his wife, hence the decision to cut those scenes from this episode. That said, I still don't know why PBS has to edit the episodes.

• Like 9
22 hours ago, Daff said:

Which the husband adamantly, irrationally, specifically forbade. 

Not irrationally. He had been taken into care himself and it was a bad experience. He was afraid that the children would be taken away from him and put into care, either in an orphanage as Colleen had been or sent abroad as we saw three children from another family sent to Australia. As the ending voice over for that episode said, being on the ship was the last time that they were happy. The father saw it as a no-win situation but at least this way, the family was together.

It's the mother that I don't understand. Was this a Kramer vs Kramer situation, where she felt that she was being stifled in her family? Okay but she hadn't contacted them for months. She was okay leaving her three children in conditions that she wouldn't tolerate and she didn't contact that to make sure that they were alright? And not checkiong if they were emotionally suffering with her being gone?

• Like 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The writing was on the wall for Cyril once Lucille left the show. It's possible the next episode has some throwaway line about Cyril taking a job in Jamaica to be with his wife, hence the decision to cut those scenes from this episode. That said, I still don't know why PBS has to edit the episodes.

I liked his character, a lot and would like to have seen him get a proper goodbye. I used to never really notice the cuts, but so far this season they are becoming more and more glaringly obvious. I don't like it. 

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Not irrationally. He had been taken into care himself and it was a bad experience. He was afraid that the children would be taken away from him and put into care, either in an orphanage as Colleen had been or sent abroad as we saw three children from another family sent to Australia. As the ending voice over for that episode said, being on the ship was the last time that they were happy. The father saw it as a no-win situation but at least this way, the family was together.

It's the mother that I don't understand. Was this a Kramer vs Kramer situation, where she felt that she was being stifled in her family? Okay but she hadn't contacted them for months. She was okay leaving her three children in conditions that she wouldn't tolerate and she didn't contact that to make sure that they were alright? And not checkiong if they were emotionally suffering with her being gone?

Yes, that was so sad. 

• Like 5

SPAM is quite a delicacy in Hawaii - they even do SPAM sushi. I don't eat it now any more than Vienna sausages but when I was a kid my father would sometimes cook it for my brother and I and call it "Army food". 🤣 He also called the charms and lifesavers in the glove compartment of our car "K rations". He wasn't career military at all but I guess he had a certain nostalgia for the mess hall stuff they had was introduced to during WW II - he was also stationed in Hawaii - maybe that added to the mystique. 😂

I think for better or worse the show sometimes has to skip over or over-simplify points they are attempting to made so as a watcher I fill in the blanks and give it context based on what I know from being a fan of period fiction and history.

Even adult cancer patients were often not told their diagnosis at the time because it was considered to be so scary. People didn't even like to name it and literally it was the C word. 

I think the kind of extreme skin problems the father had would have made him a pariah. People would be frightened that it was some kind of terrible communicable disease like leprosy. It is unclear why the wife left - surely it couldn't have been as simple as lack of sexual attraction since when she reappeared she seemed to be a normal caring woman. A mystery why she left with no contact with the boys rather than just leaving and setting up somewhere in the neighborhood. I am not clear as to the extent of the social support network at that time - would there be money from the state - i.e equivalent to Aid For Parents With Dependent Children?

They really used that poor boy as an anvil in terms of laying on the tragedy. His mother had deserted the family. The father not only couldn't earn a living but seemed to be incapable of being any kind of parent. Psoriasis shouldn't have sapped his energy to the point where he was incapable of being a stay at home father. So the boy obviously had a deadly horrible disease and to add to the tragedy of a young life nipped in the bud, he was a smart hardworking boy who would have been able to get through University if he wasn't dead within a year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

The judge, or the arbiter, or whoever was deciding Heather's fate . . . why did everyone keep calling her "Your Worship?" Is she a member of the clergy? Or is it a British thing? I thought it was so weird.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The judge, or the arbiter, or whoever was deciding Heather's fate . . . why did everyone keep calling her "Your Worship?" Is she a member of the clergy? Or is it a British thing? I thought it was so weird.

According to Wikipedia, "Worship is an honorific prefix for mayors, justices of the peace, peace commissioners, and magistrates in present or former Commonwealth realms. In spoken address, these officials are addressed as Your Worship or referred to as His Worship, Her Worship, or Their Worship."00

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, amarante said:

They really used that poor boy as an anvil in terms of laying on the tragedy. His mother had deserted the family. The father not only couldn't earn a living but seemed to be incapable of being any kind of parent. Psoriasis shouldn't have sapped his energy to the point where he was incapable of being a stay at home father. So the boy obviously had a deadly horrible disease and to add to the tragedy of a young life nipped in the bud, he was a smart hardworking boy who would have been able to get through University if he wasn't dead within a year. 

This seems relevant:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/16-old-diagnosed-leukemia-dies-143957864.html

• Sad 1
20 minutes ago, natyxg said:

I liked this episode, but I kept waiting for them to explain why Joey's mom left like that. Zero explanation, note even when she came back.

It would have been nice to have a bit of background information on that. 

• Like 3
On 4/25/2023 at 2:07 PM, amarante said:

A mystery why she left with no contact with the boys rather than just leaving and setting up somewhere in the neighborhood.

I think this is a case of Bad Writing, a disease that sometimes leaves viewers disappointed.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2