Type keyword(s) to search

Bobby's Triple Threat - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

When Frank left I thought Bobby said "see you next month."  Wonder if that means he'll be judging again or referred to another event.  

Frank sometimes judges on Beat Bobby Flay. Those New York chefs seem to be a tight community. 

• Like 3
On 8/22/2024 at 2:59 PM, AZChristian said:

Frank sometimes judges on Beat Bobby Flay. Those New York chefs seem to be a tight community. 

I'd never seen or heard of him before and I thought he was a complete wanker.  I don't mind that he often scored more harshly than a lot do, but by his own admission he judged based on whether he personally liked a dish, not on the actual merits of a dish.  That's fine when it's you or me picking a restaurant or at the supermarket, not when you're supposedly an industry professional judging a cooking competition.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

This show needs to be cancelled.  Its overly long and pretentious opening, ridiculous judging, and everything in between make it a really difficult show to watch.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, woofy said:

Its overly long and pretentious opening, ridiculous judging, and everything in between make it a really difficult show to watch.

I'm sorta there myself.  That long opening bit was OK for the first show or two of the first season but now it's just annoying.  This season I'm watching only when the guest chef interests me which means I've skipped more than I've watched.  I'm not sure I think the scoring is on the level also.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I still enjoy the show, though do I wish they would go with blind judging. I agree the opening is dumb and overlong. I always fast forward past it.

• Like 6

And what's with the lockers for life for the winning guest competitors?  Does that mean they can go to a pretentious looking fake private club with a bar made of stained particle board and have a fake drink and stash their chef's jackets as long as they remember to pick them up before the sound stage is needed for a different show?

• LOL 11
13 hours ago, Ancaster said:

And what's with the lockers for life for the winning guest competitors?  Does that mean they can go to a pretentious looking fake private club with a bar made of stained particle board and have a fake drink and stash their chef's jackets as long as they remember to pick them up before the sound stage is needed for a different show?

I'm guessing (just guessing) that chefs have lockers with their name on them at the restaurant where they work.  I think this "locker" is just s symbolic gesture saying that they belong there.  Maybe it makes sense to chefs and restaurant workers.  It doesn't make sense to the average viewer, however.

• Useful 3

I recognized Silvia by face and voice, but don't remember a single thing about her performance on Top Chef.  Other than waiting too long to sear the breast, there was some very good cooking in that episode.  I loved Tiffany and Brooke's reactions when Silvia and Voltaggio came down to the final second. 

I don't know Ayaka at all, but loved Tiffany's reaction to Frank in that episode.  And him being referred to as "the worst guest in the dining room".  I think he's too much in that way only a white man can get away with; he just gets called "tough".  Michael's score of 4 - ouch.  But it was telling that Frank clearly thought that was Ayaka's dish, so how much did her gender and/or race subconsciously influence his scoring?  They need actual blind judging on this show!

For how many dishes he complained he couldn't taste the chorizo, I started to wonder if the dude just actually can't taste chorizo.  I wanted all the clams & chorizo dishes; I love that combination (also shrimp & chorizo).  And I really wanted both of Brooke's dishes, especially once she got a score of ten.

• Applause 1

Did they run out of name-brand cheftestants to take on "The Titans"?  I have enjoyed seeing the likes of Scott Conant, Michael Symon and Marcus Samuelson stretching the competitive muscles they may not have flexed in a while.

I didn't catch Kaleena Bliss's credentials except that she was a cheftestant on Beachside Bingo Brawl, which I didn't find interesting and didn't watch.  And the judge for this episode is described in the guide as "Bobby's protege."  Oh, okay, whatever. 

Meh.  Do better, please.  You're losing us.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 9:06 PM, candall said:

Did they run out of name-brand cheftestants to take on "The Titans"?  I have enjoyed seeing the likes of Scott Conant, Michael Symon and Marcus Samuelson stretching the competitive muscles they may not have flexed in a while.

I didn't catch Kaleena Bliss's credentials except that she was a cheftestant on Beachside Bingo Brawl, which I didn't find interesting and didn't watch.  And the judge for this episode is described in the guide as "Bobby's protege."  Oh, okay, whatever. 

Meh.  Do better, please.  You're losing us.

Kaleena was just as qualified as plenty of other chefs, though. As noted in an above reply, she was top 6 on her season of "Top Chef" (and had a really amazing run in "Last Chance Kitchen"), she beat Bobby Flay, and she won the entire season of

Spoiler

Beach Side Brawl.

I like her a lot, although I know a lot of people found her cold on "Top Chef." I just thought she came across as a perfectly nice introvert.

Edited by paramitch
missing word
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, paramitch said:

I just thought she came across as a perfectly nice introvert.

I like how open she is about having chronic anxiety, and how she balances challenging herself while still knowing when it's time to say "This is too much for me".

• Like 4
On 8/30/2024 at 2:06 PM, Bastet said:

I like how open she is about having chronic anxiety, and how she balances challenging herself while still knowing when it's time to say "This is too much for me".

On 8/30/2024 at 1:20 AM, paramitch said:

Kaleena was just as qualified as plenty of other chefs, though. As noted in an above reply, she was top 6 on her season of "Top Chef" (and had a really amazing run in "Last Chance Kitchen"), she beat Bobby Flay, and she won the entire season of

Hide contents

Beach Side Brawl.

I like her a lot, although I know a lot of people found her cold on "Top Chef." I just thought she came across as a perfectly nice introvert.

I know I'd rather sit down for a beer/cup of tea with Kaleena than Bobby Flay.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I watched Kaleena's episode, and felt for her with how her nerves were clear to everyone in the first round.  It was good to see her calm down after getting the lay of the land.  I have no idea why she didn't use more eggplant in her final dish.  She still would have lost, but would have been at least one point closer.  I liked Brooke's answer to how she felt going up against her:  I'm the one who taught her how to compete, and she's done a whole lot of it since the last time I saw her.  It was nice to hear Kaleena say she hopes Brooke is proud of her, and to hear Brooke say she is.

• Like 3

I can't stand Katsuji, so I enjoyed Michael calling his confidence "cute".  He wasn't anywhere near as bad on this as he was on Top Chef (although I strongly suspect there was more than the two juvenile "my tongue" remarks they showed), but I'm bummed he won.  I don't like tongue, so didn't want either of the final dishes, but I would have loved to taste everything in the first two rounds.

• Like 2
On 9/5/2024 at 6:32 PM, Bastet said:

I can't stand Katsuji, so I enjoyed Michael calling his confidence "cute".  He wasn't anywhere near as bad on this as he was on Top Chef (although I strongly suspect there was more than the two juvenile "my tongue" remarks they showed), but I'm bummed he won.  I don't like tongue, so didn't want either of the final dishes, but I would have loved to taste everything in the first two rounds.

I did not enjoy Katsuji at all. I found his comments about tasting his tongue were unnecessary, tantamount to sexual harassment, and not cute.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I did not enjoy Katsuji at all. I found his comments about tasting his tongue were unnecessary, tantamount to sexual harassment, and not cute.

I wonder whether that was why Michael seemed to jump to Brooke's defense very quickly?  There are some companies wherein saying something like that could put your job in jeopardy.  (Especially twice in just a few minutes.) 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I liked Michael Jenkins and am very interested to hear what you all have to say.  I don’t believe I’ve seen him before. 

Michael Jenkins is someone I always enjoy and I was hoping he'd win.  I've seen him on FN a few times, but I suspect that his everyday job prevents him from having the time to appear more.  That Triple Threat kitchen clock got him.  The Titans have such an advantage knowing how the kitchen is laid out and how this competition works, and yet some of these guest chefs almost or do beat them.

I am so very fond of all three Titans and hope this show is renewed.  

• Like 6

I didn't remember Ashleigh from Top Chef.  Even after Googling and reading an account of her last episode (with pictures), I still didn't remember her at all.  Anyway, I didn't care for her sttitude last night so, although I was happy she beat Brooke, I was glad the Titans won overall.  Thanks to Tiffany.

I've always liked Wylie Dufresne but the way he used to wear his hair was just awful.  He's quite attractive with a regular man's haircut. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, mlp said:

I've always liked Wylie Dufresne but the way he used to wear his hair was just awful.  He's quite attractive with a regular man's haircut. 

I like Wylie too and he looks 1000x better with this new haircut!

I have zero recall of Ashleigh and I've seen every Top Chef season.  Bobby and the team were funny giving Tiffany major credit for the Titans' win (and rightfully so)!

• Like 3

I liked Ashleigh on Top Chef, but she was a bit much here.  The Titans are lucky she screwed up with the meat in round two, because she was really good in the other two rounds; Tiffany was on fire, but if Ashleigh had taken proper time with her meat (two different preparations) and only lost by a point or two instead, things might have been different.  If it had been closer going into the final round, I wonder if Brooke wouldn't have felt confident enough that nailing a pork dish wouldn't result in enough points being knocked off for not being a liver dish to lose.

Poor Michael; had he known he was cooking for Wylie Dufresne, he would have gone all out.  I can't stand Dufresne, but he didn't bother me this time.

• Like 2
On 9/18/2024 at 9:22 PM, Bastet said:

I liked Ashleigh on Top Chef, but she was a bit much here. 

Agree - she had Chopped levels of bravado.  

I am getting real tired of the "Michael has so much going on right now and there's only 30 seconds left and he hasn't even begun plating omg" cut to commercial break.  Every episode.  

• Like 1