Type keyword(s) to search

Shrinking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just watched the pilot. Jason Segel just doesn’t work for me in this role. I also didn’t think this needed Harrison Ford as stunt casting. I read about how Brett Goldstein got him for the part but I don’t think he really adds much to it. I won’t be watching any more. 

2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Just watched the pilot. Jason Segel just doesn’t work for me in this role. I also didn’t think this needed Harrison Ford as stunt casting. I read about how Brett Goldstein got him for the part but I don’t think he really adds much to it. I won’t be watching any more. 

You should give it a chance…Harrison Ford is hilarious. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
On 6/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, DEL901 said:

You should give it a chance…Harrison Ford is hilarious. 

Ok, I watched more. I love Ted McGinley. And he’s perfect in this, throwing 1% of all possible energy into a nice guy part. And he looks great. 

• Like 6

On The Ringer Watch podcast, Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan briefly discussed the new Indiana Jones movie.

https://www.theringer.com/2023/7/5/23784934/movies-are-stuck-endless-ip-loop-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-the-idol-finale

Apparently for a good part of that movie, they use AI and digital effects to construct a digital Indiana Jones, from the first two movies timeline.

IOW, Indiana Jones as played by a Harrison  Ford in his early 40s.

But 81-year old Ford speaks the dialog mouthed by the digital avatar of his young self.

They talk about other implications of AI such as directors in post production making the actor smile in a scene when he or she did not when that scene was shot.  This is in the context of the fact that the actors guild could go on strike and the fact that the writers guild is already on strike and they've flagged use of AI as one of their important issues.

But the discussion made me think about Shrinking, because people remarked how good Ford looks for a 80 year old man.  Could Apple have splurged the money so they could use digital effects to de-age Ford's character?

Probably not, to do it for the whole series, every scene he's in.

However it's technically feasible.

• Useful 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, aghst said:

On The Ringer Watch podcast, Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan briefly discussed the new Indiana Jones movie.

https://www.theringer.com/2023/7/5/23784934/movies-are-stuck-endless-ip-loop-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-the-idol-finale

Apparently for a good part of that movie, they use AI and digital effects to construct a digital Indiana Jones, from the first two movies timeline.

IOW, Indiana Jones as played by a Harrison  Ford in his early 40s.

But 81-year old Ford speaks the dialog mouthed by the digital avatar of his young self.

They talk about other implications of AI such as directors in post production making the actor smile in a scene when he or she did not when that scene was shot.  This is in the context of the fact that the actors guild could go on strike and the fact that the writers guild is already on strike and they've flagged use of AI as one of their important issues.

But the discussion made me think about Shrinking, because people remarked how good Ford looks for a 80 year old man.  Could Apple have splurged the money so they could use digital effects to de-age Ford's character?

Probably not, to do it for the whole series, every scene he's in.

However it's technically feasible.

Technically feasible, yes.  But the budget for Indy 5 is rumoured to be $295,000,000, with a big chunk of that going towards de-aging Harrison Ford.  It is still too expensive for television, even with Apple’s deep pockets.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 1

Yeah probably.

I think it may also slow down production, if the digital fx takes long rendering times.

But there have been commercials featuring presumably de-aged versions of some rather well-known celebrities.

• Like 2
(edited)

The CGI in Indy 5 is a complete recreation and a long sequence, and there is a lot of other CGI. They were able to do it because they had all that footage from the other Indy films and from the Star Wars Original Trilogy, from what I’ve read. 

If they wanted to de-age Harrison a bit (doesn’t look like they are), it’s not budget breaking. Apple could fish that much money out of the executive suite’s couch cushions. They’re doing similar things to Indy with Hamill on Mandalorian, so it’s feasible. But there’s easier ways with makeup to make him look younger.

Edited by ML89
  • Useful 1

Just finished this (got free Apple for three months) and I LOVE this show.  The cast gels so well together. Harrison Ford seems to be having fun, he’s had some of the funniest lines. Still so jarring for me to see him the same age as my dad cuz I will always irrationally remember him as Han Solo from Empire Strikes Back. Jessica Williams is fantastic in every scene. I saw where she and Jimmy were going, but I don’t hate it. Also sorta got used to Christa Miller’s face, but she seriously needs to stop. Oh and Michael Urie! I haven’t seen him since Ugly Betty (though I’m sure he’s worked since then), he’s great too. I was even happily surprised by Jason’s acting. 

So happy it was renewed for a second season, although not at all crazy about that last scene, seemed a little too dark.

Edited by IntrovertRed
  • Like 5

I loved it.  Harrison Ford was hysterical.  Jason Segal kind of annoys me but he was great in this.  I loved the entire cast but Ted McKinley was just awesome, he made the best out of a small role.  I didn’t notice any weird plastic surgery on neighbor Liz but I’m also unfamiliar with the actress and don’t know what she looked like before.  I liked that she was a wife and mom and that wasn’t made into a whole “thing”.  That’s a perfectly acceptable choice.

I don’t really see that many ethics violations other than Sean going to live with his therapist.  In real life we don’t see what’s really going on in people’s personal lives so it’s very likely if we did we would probably not agree with everything we saw.  It seemed to me they kept it professional when in client sessions.  As far as Jimmy telling the girl he couldn’t see her anymore if she stayed with her boyfriend, I saw nothing wrong with it.  He didn’t feel he could help her anymore so why keep seeing her and taking her money?  Let he find another therapist who could be more helpful.

• Like 3