Type keyword(s) to search

Cocaine Bear (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

I don’t find the true story that inspired this film very amusing. That poor bear. And the fact that they had it stuffed to be a Kentucky tourist all because he unknowingly and overdosed on that bag of coke just makes me cringe.

Yes, I’m an animal lover, sue me.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
On 11/30/2022 at 9:47 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Whoever's responsible for cutting that trailer needs a raise, because I went from no interest whatsoever, to 90% sure I'm going to see this.

I"m with you, at first I was like, "i'll pass" but after watching it and seeing decent actors are in this, I'm in!!!!!

• Like 2

I went to a matinee show and there were a lot of people in the theater!  It's surprising to see so many well-known actors in this, but I guess they just wanted to star in a silly movie with their friends.  I wasn't expecting to see Matthew Rhys in this!  It was a mini "The Americans" reunion.

My theater had big laughs with the park ranger's scenes, also when the ambulance appeared.

I couldn't tell, but was the tourist eaten at the end?  I thought I heard a yell when the family was in the cave.

I didn't know that Ray Liotta passed away.  His character's lack of care towards his grandson was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I saw a matinee and my theater was almost filled! This was great from beginning to end. Loved it. My favorite scene was the whole segment with the rangers to the paramedics. I miss those 80s rainbow stripped bags 😆

• Like 4
10 hours ago, peridot said:

I went to a matinee show and there were a lot of people in the theater!  It's surprising to see so many well-known actors in this, but I guess they just wanted to star in a silly movie with their friends.  I wasn't expecting to see Matthew Rhys in this!  It was a mini "The Americans" reunion.

I didn't know that Ray Liotta passed away.  His character's lack of care towards his grandson was hilarious.

Yes about The Americans!  I said the same thing when I saw Matthew Rhys, Kerri Russell, and Margot Martindale.  And to your point about Ray Liotta's character:  "I'm tired of watching my kid's kid!"

For a Saturday matinee, my theater was pretty full too.  And it looked like a decent cross section of ages as well.  This makes me happy.  I had so much fun with this movie.  It's such a great example of everyone knowing what type of movie they were making and excelling at it.  So far, this is this year's Bullet Train for me.  I'm happy for Elizabeth Banks after the financial disaster that was the most recent Charlie's Angels.  I'm also glad they went hard R here with the violence and language because then I don't think it would have been as fun.  (Although, that much cocaine depiction probably put them there regardless.)  My theater also seemed to like the ambulance scene the best with the standoff at the gazebo coming in second.  But the line of the movie was probably "You got a dusty beaver here."  "I know, I'm working on it."  Margot Martindale is a national treasure.  (My second favorite line from her was "I'm wearing boots.") I understand this movie won't be for everyone, but if the trailer looks like your thing it's a recommend.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 2
(edited)

In real life, this is a weird but sad story about an innocent animal that was killed because of some asshole and the drug trade, but...this time, the bear gets her revenge! 

This movie was delightfully ridiculous and I had a great time watching it. You could tell that everyone making it knew exactly what kind of movie this was and just went in ready to have a great time with its goofy B Movie premise. The theater I was in was pretty full and everyone was laughing it up the whole time. 

This movie has a great cast who are all clearly having fun, we even get a The Americans reunion between Matthew Rhys, Kerri Russell, and Beloved Character Actress Margot Martindale! Back in the 80s again! Was this Ray Liotta's last movie? What a wild way to end an amazing career, being eaten by coke addled bears. 

I think my favorite part was everything with the park rangers, Margo Martindale is such a hoot. "Its from Europe." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2

We went to see it in the theater based on the talk here, and it was fun.  There were only three other people in the theater, but it was a Monday afternoon.

What an ignominious way for Ray Liotta to end his career, but he was a good sport, I guess.  Thinking back to his death, at the time, he got so many tributes regarding Goodfellas, but not for another favorite of mine, Corrina, Corrina.  I was waiting for Whoopi Goldberg to say something, but I don't think she did. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

Saw it today over the new Shazam movie. I probably made the right call. Ninety-one minutes . . . what was the last franchise-fueled film that went under two hours?

I had fun. Yeah, I know “based on a true story” is code for “we made up 99 percent of what you’re about to see,” but the real story is depressing. Why not get a bear ingesting cocaine, fluctuating between goofy and murderous as she goes for her next fix.

That ranger was never gonna make it to Yellowstone, was she? Shooting the delinquent in the head was a fun surprise, as was her getting dragged while strapped to a stretcher. Lots of fun stuff didn’t get spoiled in the ads, and I’m happy about that.

Oh, and great that we got cubs hooked on coke like their mom. I can see a franchise blossoming from this movie, but I hope that doesn’t happen. We should only get the one Cocaine Bear. Anything else would be derivative overkill.

• Like 1

I didn’t enjoy this. Some parts were funny for the sheer craziness but it felt like something was missing. Maybe it was the writing but for such a great cast there was a lack of charisma and after Jesse Tyler Ferguson is mauled it just became boring.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, Lantern7 said:

Saw it today over the new Shazam movie. I probably made the right call. Ninety-one minutes . . . what was the last franchise-fueled film that went under two hours?

I had fun. Yeah, I know “based on a true story” is code for “we made up 99 percent of what you’re about to see,” but the real story is depressing. Why not get a bear ingesting cocaine, fluctuating between goofy and murderous as she goes for her next fix.

That ranger was never gonna make it to Yellowstone, was she? Shooting the delinquent in the head was a fun surprise, as was her getting dragged while strapped to a stretcher. Lots of fun stuff didn’t get spoiled in the ads, and I’m happy about that.

Oh, and great that we got cubs hooked on coke like their mom. I can see a franchise blossoming from this movie, but I hope that doesn’t happen. We should only get the one Cocaine Bear. Anything else would be derivative overkill.

I saw Shazam today. It’s pretty awful lol.

Saw this on Peacock and it was a deeply stupid movie but in the best way possible.  All it needed was more actors from The Americans and more cocaine.     Honestly this is the kind of dumb violent movie that I enjoy.