Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Frenemies - Chapter Twelve: The Last Will and Testament of Sylvester Pemberton

Trini
  • Start Topic

As the team devise a plan to deal with their latest threat, Sylvester takes matters into his own hands and leaves Courtney, Pat and the JSA fearing for what comes next.

Jennifer Phang directed the episode written by Turi Meyer & Alfredo Septien.

Airdate: 11/30/2022

001-st-season3-episode12.jpg

002-st-season3-episode12.jpg

I knew Sylvester was sus!  I didn't see it coming that he was actually Ultra-Humanite, and that Dragon King was in Ultra-Humanite's body.  It makes sense for Sylvester to be Ultra-Humanite, though.  He's gotta split up the new JSA, they did something nobody else did, they beat the ISA.  And Shade could see through it all, he wanted Sylvester gone from the beginning.  Should have listened to Shade.

Pat's buried in the woods?  There's somebody else buried in the woods that we've been waiting to return.  It's time for Grundy to rise and save Pat.

Loved Cindy protecting Jakeem and Mike.  She's truly changed, and should be in the JSA.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The JSA is lucky that the Ultra-Humanite is a method actor with a massive ego, aren't they?  If the plan was to just kill them then he could have easily pulled it off any number of times, but he just had to go the theatrical route and drag it out.

Unlike some Arrowverse shows they're not going to kill off one of Courtney's parents just to up her angst even though being buried alive should be pretty definitive. 

• Like 1

What an incredible, yet horrific, twist. But I wonder about the times "Sylvester" flew off the handle. Intentional, to keep the kids off balance? Just Dolores Winters chewing the scenery? Something wired up wrong during the brain transplant?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

That was a good twist! And a very good episode. Though I do find it hard to believe the cosmic staff would allow "Pat" to do half the things he wanted in this episode, especially the ending. 

Looks like we will have a very good series finale (idk why the new kids on the block arent promoting it as series finale) which is a shame since we could've gotten a really good S4 with how things are going.

• Love 3

I suspected that something was up with Sylvester from day one, but I never saw this coming, its actually a great twist. Sylvester never even came back to life, this has been the Ultra-Humanite from day one, its so dark and I love it. It all does make sense. His obsession with getting revenge on the ISA and his angry outbreaks was all a part of his plan to manipulate the JSA, he deliberately drove the kids away from each other, we know that the Ultru-Humanite is a master actor, he probably thought that the Shade might catch on to who he was so he wanted him gone, even the flashes of him talking to people Pat knows was clearly research for his big performance.  This looks like its setting up for one wild series finale. 

So can the staff not tell who Sylvester really is? Was it not paying attention during the whole evil monologue? Its the one piece that doesn't totally fit, but maybe we'll get more next week. Or is Sylvester still in there deep down and his outburst were him trying to get out? 

I'm glad that Cindy is going to get to confront her father, even if he's now a giant gorilla. I love her with Mike and Jakeem, at least their team up is something good to come out of Not Sylvester's manipulations. 

Courtney' speech about how Pat is her hero and her father was really sweet, Pat better come out of this alright. I know that being a parent in a superhero show is a risky job, and its not looking good for him, being buried alive in the middle of nowhere, but Pat's such a major character even outside of being dad, I think he'll be alright. 

Sad that the show is ending, but at least we seem to be setting up for a real conclusion. 

• Love 4

The whole time I was like, 'They better NOT do anything to Pat!', and then the ending -- noooo!  😩  I don't know how they're going to save him, but they better! They cannot kill him off after that sweet speech from Courtney.

We all suspected something was off with Starman, right? So glad that is confirmed; but - hooo boy - that is a crazy twist! It mostly makes sense, the main part that I don't buy is Ultrahumunite being able to wield the staff.

So Dragon King is alive after all... but in the Gorilla. Also did not see that coming! I don't know how the JSA are going to defeat all three of the most diabolical ISA members, but I feel like they all going to have to die like for real for real. Cosmo better come back to Courtney!

I hate that they waited until the second to last episode, but I'm so glad that Jakeem is starting to be more confident and making wishes on his terms.

---

I've had my issues with some things, but overall this series has been really good; and I'm going to be sad that I'm probably not going to be seeing another comic show with such solid season arcs for a while.

• Love 4

Holy Brain-Swap, Batman!  Ultra-Humanite's body was actually Dragon King this entire time and the actual Ultra-Humanite was none other than Sylvester this entire time!  I figured something was going to do down with him, but I wasn't predicting all of that!  Not sure if this was always part of the plan, but the flashbacks do show how everything lines up and the part he played in causing issues amongst the JSA.  Joel McHale did great work after that reveal and really showed his sinister side in that final scene.  Things are certainly looking dire for Pat right now, but I have to think he'll be saved somehow.  Just don't see this show killing him off like that.

Looking forward to seeing Cindy face off against her dad now and hopefully will get some closure there.  Her, Mike, and Jakeem have become quite an effective trio: in their own little weird way!

Glad that Rick is finally getting help.  And that was what led to Courtney putting all of the pieces together.

Courtney's speech/defense of Pat was great.

I am confused over why the Cosmic Staff is still following Syl.  Its shown before it's capable of understanding some words, but I guess it doesn't know that Starman isn't actually Starman?

Looks like we are in for one hell of a series finale!

• Love 3

Sylvester was Ultra-Humanite. I should have figured, but the presence of Ultra-Humanite's body didn't make me question if that was the same mind. Nope . . .Dragon King into Humanite, Humanite into Starman. And holy shit, that guys loves twisting the knife. If he had done the "you got something on your face" bit while burying Pat, I wouldn't have been shocked.

Is the next episode the series finale? I get how and why the bubble burst for the series, but it's a shame we're not getting a farewell season (as opposed to a farewell season). For pity's sake, Mister Bones was teased in the S2 finale, and we got Keith David's lovely voice for two episodes total. Bit of a rip-off.

Good news: Cindy is gelling with Mike and Jakeem. Anyone else think that her dad might have put black widow stuff in her, and she'll wind up devouring the boys?

On 12/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

So can the staff not tell who Sylvester really is? Was it not paying attention during the whole evil monologue? Its the one piece that doesn't totally fit, but maybe we'll get more next week. Or is Sylvester still in there deep down and his outburst were him trying to get out?

On 12/2/2022 at 2:03 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I am confused over why the Cosmic Staff is still following Syl.  Its shown before it's capable of understanding some words, but I guess it doesn't know that Starman isn't actually Starman?

I think UH has the mental power to trick and then override Cosmo's bond with Courtney.

Gotta post in the "Stars and Stripsey" thread . . .

• Love 1

So I've been binging the last few episodes (the news of the cancellation made me too sad to watch it for awhile) and I figured Sylvester was really the Ultra-Humanite once he mentioned that the Ultra-Humanite had switched bodies a few times.  I saw no point in mentioning that unless it was going to come in to play.  Wasn't sure who was in the Ultra-Humanite body though.  Initially I thought it was Sylvester and that the two had been brain-swapped while the Dragon King was still alive.  Didn't guess that it was actually the Dragon King himself in there.  

This is my favorite show right now and I'm bummed that it's been cancelled!  I was watching The Rookie the other day and thought, "How has this ridiculous show made it five seasons and Stargirl only got three?"

On 12/9/2022 at 2:56 PM, Snapdragon said:

This is my favorite show right now and I'm bummed that it's been cancelled!  I was watching The Rookie the other day and thought, "How has this ridiculous show made it five seasons and Stargirl only got three?"

I often ponder how so many quality shows have gone off the air while The Kardashians are still on the air, or how The Fast & Furious series keeps pumping out movie and movie.