Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: That's Why They Call It a Missile

• Start Topic

It always hits me out of left field that a season has only 8 episodes and is then just over all of a sudden.

I know, a lot of shows nowadays only have 8 episodes in a season, but with a ~27 minute comedy? Those kinds of shows used to have 30+ episodes a season. Sure this show has some CGI in it, but other than that it's a simple show on indoor sets. They generally aren't that time consuming to shoot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/30/2022 at 4:58 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

I know, a lot of shows nowadays only have 8 episodes in a season, but with a ~27 minute comedy? Those kinds of shows used to have 30+ episodes a season.

Maybe on American TV, but this is a Brit production, and the UK has a proud tradition of 6 episode series or seasons, like AbFab, Benidorm, Miranda, Peep Show and Fawlty Towers.

1 minute ago, sugarbaker design said:

Maybe on American TV, but this is a Brit production, and the UK has a proud tradition of 6 episode series or seasons, like AbFab, Benidorm, Miranda, Peep Show and Fawlty Towers.

It's a co-production between HBO and Sky UK, so only half UK. By splitting the difference this should have like 20 episodes. ;)

Also quite a few of the shows you listed had 6 to 9 episode seasons, not consistently 6. I'd also add Coupling and Spaced in the mix, since we are talking iconic british comedies.

And sorry, Avenue 5 is nice and all, but I wouldn't put it on the level of any of the shows you or I just mentioned. For only 8 episodes under 30 minutes, a year, it should be better. I mean I like it a lot, but I don't love it.

4 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

And sorry, Avenue 5 is nice and all, but I wouldn't put it on the level of any of the shows you or I just mentioned.

I also didn't put Avenue 5 on the level of the shows I mentioned.  I was just making a point that a 6 episode series was fairly common.

5 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I mean I like it a lot, but I don't love it.

I do love it, I love it's profound cynicism.  If this were a total USA production there would be a young couple playing out a will they/won't they romance.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

If this were a total USA production there would be a young couple playing out a will they/won't they romance.

Well to that point, I'm looking forward to what happens between Ryan, Charles and Karen.

• LOL 2
On 12/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

It's a co-production between HBO and Sky UK, so only half UK. By splitting the difference this should have like 20 episodes. ;)

Also quite a few of the shows you listed had 6 to 9 episode seasons, not consistently 6. I'd also add Coupling and Spaced in the mix, since we are talking iconic british comedies.

And sorry, Avenue 5 is nice and all, but I wouldn't put it on the level of any of the shows you or I just mentioned. For only 8 episodes under 30 minutes, a year, it should be better. I mean I like it a lot, but I don't love it.

You can't compare a broadcast tv show to a cable show. Cable/premium cable comedies are usually 10 episodes a season.

On 12/5/2022 at 3:16 AM, Skyfall said:

You can't compare a broadcast tv show to a cable show. Cable/premium cable comedies are usually 10 episodes a season.

Usually the episodes aren't under 30 minutes, but well over an hour. This is the worst of both worlds.

Also this isn't that premium, apart from the occasional CGI it's just the same 10 in-door sets over and over. It's basically a souped up sitcom.

• Useful 1
On 12/6/2022 at 4:35 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Usually the episodes aren't under 30 minutes, but well over an hour. This is the worst of both worlds.

Also this isn't that premium, apart from the occasional CGI it's just the same 10 in-door sets over and over. It's basically a souped up sitcom.

Cable comedies are 30 minutes. Silicon Valley, Veep, Insecure, etc

Premium cable = HBO, Showtime, etc

Edited by Skyfall