Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Doodad

• Start Topic

The characters are finally path breaking! When the Sheriff was telling Tommy off I was yelling at the screen for him to do exactly what he ended up doing.

I love that they got the hitman with a wall bang (another path break in a video game, clipping someone through a wall) and they shot him several more times to make sure. I also appreciated that we saw a realistic knife kill where the bad guy had to stab someone about 57 times and the guy still didn't just keel over. Another show which shall remain nameless just had a guy get shanked with a tiny little knife and after one poke and a bit of twist he dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I still can't really keep the factions straight for the future plot but I think there are about four different groups working at cross purposes. It doesn't make a lot of sense yet but I'm glad they are starting to fill in some of the blanks.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Could someone explain what the future police lady said about two timelines? She said Burton died and Flynne married Tommy, which timeline is that and how does it come to be?

Edited by showme
Typo
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, showme said:

Could someone explain what the future police lady said about two timelines? She said Burton died and Flynne married Tommy, which timeline is that and how does it coming into being?

The timeline that the Inspector mentioned where Flynne married Tommy and Burton was killed during the Texas civil war is the Inspector's "true" timeline. The one that evolved into the world where she, Lev, Wilf etc. live. The Flynne she was talking to is from an alternate timeline, or "stub" that was apparently created when Cherise and the Research Institute sent information back in time that led to the development of Burton's haptics, but also accelerated the timeline for their Jackpot.

20 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I still can't really keep the factions straight for the future plot but I think there are about four different groups working at cross purposes. It doesn't make a lot of sense yet but I'm glad they are starting to fill in some of the blanks.

I agree. We are at the Met, the Klepts, the RI and the Neoprims? (ETA, I'm also confused about the physical presence to those in future London. We have Periphials, whatever Cherise is, whatever Beatrice is, whatever the dead guy who guards Cherise is, etc.)

Is Beatrice developing a crush on Connor? We know he would oblige.

Oh Tommy.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wow. I’m going to watch this episode again immediately. I loved it but I want to see if I missed anything. 

I liked Inspector Lowbeer a lot better this time around. She did seem like she belonged to future London this time, but at an intriguingly higher level than any we’ve yet seen. Everyone has respect not only for her personally but for her position. I loved when she told Flynn that she’d over promised with her answers; Flynn was close to something. 
 Not only are we not sure what is going on, at this point I’m up in the air about who the antagonists really are. Every faction is convinced they’re working toward a better world and every faction is willing to make the world worse to achieve it. We must destroy the village in order to save it. Depressingly human as Cherise would point out. It’s definitely a full time job to keep us from destroying ourselves, apparently even after we’ve already done so. 

Loved that Beatrice’s liking for Connor was instinctive and intuitive. Seems the peripherals/zoids are human. 

Poor Tommy. I liked the Sherriff’s monologue as mercenary and pragmatic as it was. I’m glad that Tommy finally committed to a path. Not sure how he is going to manage this as the assassin was getting killed at the same time the sheriff and Pickett were being killed. Time of death will establish this which makes Bob a poor fit as a patsy. Liking Tommy better even before he used the doodad. He had a lot less of that ‘aw shucks’ stereotyping this this episode. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2022 at 12:48 AM, AuntieMame said:

Poor Tommy. I liked the Sherriff’s monologue as mercenary and pragmatic as it was. I’m glad that Tommy finally committed to a path. Not sure how he is going to manage this as the assassin was getting killed at the same time the sheriff and Pickett were being killed. Time of death will establish this which makes Bob a poor fit as a patsy. Liking Tommy better even before he used the doodad. He had a lot less of that ‘aw shucks’ stereotyping this this episode. 

I don’t think Pickett is dead.

• Love 1

I was mostly impressed by a gun that could shoot through a brick wall and kill someone. I didn't care for the whole "training" sequence for the peripherals in the tower. Seemed a knockoff of a video game.

I will probably have to watch this again for some of the conversations about the factions in future London, which left me a bit confused.Not sure why Lowbeer would be concerned about accelerating the Jackpot in a different timeline (or maybe she's not).

• Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 1:43 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

I don’t think Pickett is dead.

Yeah, the Sheriff got 5 or 6 real bullets dead on, but Pickett "only" got the doodad, which so far has been shown to hurt, not kill.  

I wonder how they are going to wrap all this up with only one more episode. 

• Like 2
On 11/30/2022 at 4:10 AM, Rickster said:

I was mostly impressed by a gun that could shoot through a brick wall and kill someone. I didn't care for the whole "training" sequence for the peripherals in the tower. Seemed a knockoff of a video game.

I will probably have to watch this again for some of the conversations about the factions in future London, which left me a bit confused.Not sure why Lowbeer would be concerned about accelerating the Jackpot in a different timeline (or maybe she's not).

Agree wholeheartedly about the video game aspects of the set piece in the tower. But this is cyberpunk so I suppose we have to expect some of that. I didn’t see Conner falling for “robot lady” coming so that made up for some of the more predictable parts of the sequence. 

I’m trying to decide when to reward myself with the last episode. Then I think I’m going to binge the entire season to assess it as a whole. 

On 11/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah, the Sheriff got 5 or 6 real bullets dead on, but Pickett "only" got the doodad, which so far has been shown to hurt, not kill.  

I wonder how they are going to wrap all this up with only one more episode. 

Oh I don’t think they’re going to wrap it up. I think we will be left on the edge of the proverbial. 

To me Pickett seems the kind of enemy you shouldn’t leave alive. I was referring to Bob the assassin being dead and at an inconvenient time and place to be a readymade patsy for Tommy. Bummer because I’m starting to like Tommy.  

Hopefully Pickett will be quick on his feet and make a pragmatic temporary alliance with Tommy. Pickett can’t afford to have any outsiders looking too closely at recent events, including those at his home. This is big enough that it could attract the attention of Feds as well as staties. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Housekeeping.
  • Like 1
On 11/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, showme said:

Could someone explain what the future police lady said about two timelines? She said Burton died and Flynne married Tommy, which timeline is that and how does it come to be?

The timeline that ISN'T the stub. Apparently the communication is only possible by going diagonally back in time. Apparently they cannot go directly sideways, either. I'm not sure season 2, assuming there is one, would be from the prequel or something new.

• Like 1