Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: The Better Part of Valor

jewel21
  • Start Topic

After a teenage boy is taken into Chastain for falling unconscious from a suspicious pill, Conrad takes action to find the boy's brother before he meets the same fate. Meanwhile, Dr. Bell deals with being served court papers from a former patient.

Airdate: 11/15/2022

The truth is Governor you miscalculated because you think Randolph Bell is like you. Vain, self-important, small-minded, hungry for money and power. But the thing about men like that, men like you, is that more than anything they're afraid. Sad, really, but Randolph Bell is not afraid. Because he's not fighting for himself, he's fighting for what's right.

Yikes. Someone needs to play the first few seasons of this show to Kit because Bell has been all of those things ten times over. Or at the very least, play those seasons for the writers. I know they're going for growth but he's some of those things right now getting Conrad to give him a prescription rather than be honest with Kit and his doctors about how he's doing. At the very least they're bringing up his HODAD days.

And Jessica, again, shows poor moral fiber by lying for Bell to get him out of a mess of his own making. Devon lying for Bell was also a very poor decision. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I think in a deposition you are under oath. They can be used in court hearings and trials later.

Shame on Cade too for being willing to lie and cover up her father’s addiction. I’ve seen the addict doctor trope enough times now on other shows, and lying generally only gets you in worse trouble later. If he actually hurts a patient is she just going to keep ignoring it? Fiction or not the hospital has a right to know that someone’s been working on their patients while under the influence. I hope she gets disciplined or fired if it’s ever found out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Didn't it occur to anyone that Kit shouldn't be the one giving the award to her own husband? (Both Cade's and Billie's dresses looked very pretty.)

The Governor is both a cartoon villain and someone that I can well believe exists as a number of people in real life. But I'm already tired of this storyline.

I liked Cade forcing her father to go into rehab rather than covering for him and doing the dosing herself.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This whole episode was ridiculous. Cade throwing Narcan to  Conrad as he bolts out the door to save the world, a cartoonish attorney that says and does anything while a incompetent hospital attorney sits there ad objects but does't end that ridiculous line of questioning. There is no case there. If they want to go against Bell, they have to build the case against him based on things he actually did. Go to the press, make a fuss. Besides, who initiated the lawsuit? The woman's husband? Because it looked like the governor did but that's not how it works. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

This show is making it hard for me to stay interested and invested in the characters.

Dr. Ian Sullivan’s addiction arc is overstretched and boring.

Governor Betz vs Dr. Bell drama seems to be doomed from the start. Issues re hospital fundings - repetitive.

It’s good to see Marshall again.

Cade’s dress and makeup at the award ceremony was on point.

Hey show, why cast Ian Anthony Dale just to be an arm candy to boring Billie? Why? 😣

• Love 1

The thing the governor doesn’t understand is this: if he succeeds in destroying Bell’s career, sure, that will give him some personal satisfaction. But then Bell has nothing left to lose—and plenty of time on his hands to crusade for Chastain funding, dig up dirt on him, and embarrass him even further. Bell’s life won’t be destroyed. I’m sure he’d prefer to keep operating, but he’s old enough to retire, undoubtedly has plenty of money, and it looks like maybe his experimental MS treatment has stopped working so he may have to quit anyway. Plus he has a badass wife. Kit may regret her talk with the governor, but she didn’t let him intimidate her one bit.

Did anyone else wonder if Cade was going to meet with an unfortunate “accident” in her father’s office? Both scenes that took place there had an ominous feel to me. Like Ian just might get desperate enough to make sure she never tells anyone.

15 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Hey show, why cast Ian Anthony Dale just to be an arm candy to boring Billie? Why? 

THIS. It’s obvious the show just wanted a hot guy to make Conrad jealous, but if you’re gonna cast Ian Anthony Dale, give the man a storyline, FFS!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

This episode is definitely making it feel like the finale season with all of the dirty laundry being aired - I am shocked the writers even decided to remember HODAD (and why wasn't Jessica deposed? Or is it depositioned?)

Cade left that bottle of propofol in her dad's office.... so who returned it to anesthesia nurse?

I despise the governor storyline so I'm fast forwarding through that crap. I also don't give a crap about the addict Dr. I like the actor but give the character something else to do. 

7 hours ago, Court said:

I despise the governor storyline so I'm fast forwarding through that crap. I also don't give a crap about the addict Dr. I like the actor but give the character something else to do. 

The addict doctor trope is done to death on medical shows anyway. Anyone who’s seen more than one medical drama can figure out how it’s going to go. I know doctors can deal with addiction too, but it’s so predictable already that I’m more like “here we go again…”

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/1/2022 at 7:35 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

The addict doctor trope is done to death on medical shows anyway. Anyone who’s seen more than one medical drama can figure out how it’s going to go. I know doctors can deal with addiction too, but it’s so predictable already that I’m more like “here we go again…”

Not to mention, it's extremely damaging to all the many, many chronic pain patients who need painkillers in order to maintain some semblance of life quality. Yes, people can become addicted; but the vast majority of people prescribed meds for legitimate conditions take them responsibly and do not. It's become a stereotype that misinforms many people about the realities of opioids and other prescription painkillers, simply because it's such a common storyline on TV. 

On 11/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, statsgirl said:

The Governor is both a cartoon villain and someone that I can well believe exists as a number of people in real life. But I'm already tired of this storyline.

IMO it's too easy for them to make the Governor into this evil person who just doesn't understand or care about the needs of hospitals. It would have made for a more complex story if they had approached it from the POV of a decent enough person who is simply faced with having to make budget cuts SOMEWHERE, and simply doesn't know where or how is best, because no matter where, it's a program that somebody desperately needs. Chastain is looking at it entirely from their own POV only. But if the Governor were to keep all their funding, it's likely to affect some other programs, just because that's how budgets work these days. But of course nobody addresses any of this.