Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Viking Cowboy

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Somebody tell Bravo that watching an insubordinate douchebag is not enjoyable. I hate him already!

Kyle is a dick. Watching the second episode, and damn if he isn’t a dick. 

(Will an episode 2 thread be opened?)

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

Like an annoying deckhand who uses a squeegee for drinking rather than working, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast.

Chef Jess is good at starting galley fires and yoga poses.  And eggs.  So far.

Lewis is a conscientious Bos’n, but he’s letting Kyle walk all over him.  Not good.

Nathan also seems like a good deckhand – he should deck Kyle.

Wait, Lewis is giving Nathan crap because Nathan suggested guests wear vests in the water?  And that Kyle was “offended”?  WTF?  Make Nathan Bos’n and get rid of both Kyle and Lewis.

As predicted, Norway is the star of the show so far.  Makes me want to consider there my next holiday spot.

Chef Jess served octopus as an appetizer.  In my experience, octopi are sentient beings – they’re intelligent, sensitive, and aware.  Tragically, from small to large, they have a life span of less than 3 years.  Jess might as well have served dog.  Yuck.

So there’s an overall breakdown in communications already.  The “chef” and interior crew aren’t talking, yet chav Faye seems blissfully unaware (but grabs her breasts).

Captain Kerry and Nathan seem the most levelheaded so far.  Lewis is just too weak to be an effective Bos’n.  The interior crew are like a female Three Stooges but without the comedy.

Chav Faye: “We’re 5 star service and no plates.”  Yes, dear, that’s *your* job.

And now we have a made-up squeegee shot routine.  Come on, Bravo, it’s getting too obvious.

What will happen next week?  Will the impending engine failure turn out to be a big nothing (as always)?  Will the deck crew kill each other (or the right one)?  What remarkable Norway sight will we see?  Stay tuned, unless you can find anything else…

• Love 6
19 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Kyle is a dick.

He's so arrogant, even down to the way he walks.  It's hard to explain but he kind of leans his face forward like he's getting ready to head butt someone.  That and the kiss are so aggressive.  And then later in the episode he wraps his arms around her from behind and she says nothing.  Ugh.  That should be strike 2.

Edited by Oosala
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Tanukisan said:

Jess served octopus as an appetizer.  In my experience, octopi are sentient beings – they’re intelligent, sensitive, and aware.  Tragically, from small to large, they have a life span of less than 3 years.  Jess might as well have served dog.  Yuck.

I have really mixed feelings about octopus (octopi, thank you for that), especially after watching the documentary “My octopus teacher.”  It was amazing! Highly recommended.  I realize now that they are beautiful, intelligent creatures but I still secretly want to eat one of their legs. I felt bad about that but then I reminded myself I also really like chickens and cows are nice too.  Chickens can be really smart, they recognize individual people and even pets too!  We got a new cat one time and all of our chickens came up to our sliding glass door to look at her and then they discussed it amongst themselves.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Nunyabiznis said:

Chickens can be really smart, they recognize individual people and even pets too!

With apologies to the Mills Brothers, "You always eat... the one you love...."  Yeah, I get it.  I suppose if God intended us not to eat chickens or cows or any of their ilk, He wouldn't have made them so tasty.  (:    But the whole octopus thing just gets to me.  I mean, I have a farm, and the neighbours do too, but we don't farm Octopus.  Or dolphins.  Or elephants.  You get the idea.  (:  Oh, and to stay on topic, did you ever wonder where these boats get their provisions from?  Do they shop organic, or vegan, or non-GMO, etc.?  Or is it just the cheapest, easiest supplier?  They certainly order copius quantities of booze...   (:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Seems pretty obvious they're setting Kyle up for the rapid ejection.

If they're able to replace him quickly, you have to wonder if the plan was to have him say and do outlandish things and then quickly replace him for a bit less, not too much less drama.

Also a good way to establish Captain Kerry's bona fides as a chain of command, propriety manager.

Yeah Lewis seems indecisive, unwilling to confront subordinates who are misbehaving, while Kerry is not going to let the situation fester, like we've seen other BD captains do.  But again, if they have a ready replacement, then the plan probably was to have Kyle start out, generate some awfulness on film, then move on.

But kind of a tough situation if Lewis is like Captain's pet, suppose to report to him.  That undermines Lewis' authority in the eyes of his charges.

I thought the caves sounded boring but for extreme sports types, they got to do some repelling.  Still a yawner, you often see caves near these beautiful landscapes.  I prefer the latter.

The one time I visited Norway, I didn't see any sign of water sports.  I think kayaks would be one thing but jet skis and slides or dragging along inflatables via tender?  You don't get that vibe up there.  There are huge cruise ships but not these private yacht charters.

Still it wouldn't be surprising if there are things like zip lines and paragliding up there, licensed to operate in what must be national parks.

Unless Bravo paid them a lot to be able to set up these things for the show.

Positives first. Scenery is stunning. Cave was cool, but I don’t know if I could have gone in there.

Now, for the rest.

Just found out that Kyle’s last name is Dickard. How fitting! 🤣

Again, I am bothered by the aggression shown toward women on the BD franchises. I would like to think that Kerry/show is going to swiftly deal with Kyle, possibly one of THE worst “Bravolebrities” ever (and after two episodes, that’s saying something). But I don’t know if that will be the case, despite the previews. Look at what Ashton and the “brus” got away with on BD Thailand, Pete on BDM, Bryan on BDM…Yes, there some crappy guests, too, but crew HAS to abide by professional codes of conduct. This is as much on the producers to handle, as it is on Kerry.

I like Kerry, and maybe it’s just Kerry’s style, but the way he approached Kasie about the cave kinda bothered me, too — like he was also blaming her in a way. I know that’s not the case, and he was angry, but I felt she was being put on the defensive just a bit.

I’m also over Kyle’s constant bullying of Nathan (and to some degree, his boss Lewis). The utter disrespect shown over the lifejackets (uh, safety?) and utter GROSSNESS in the cabin, in addition to the incident with Kasie? Uh, nope.

Please, Bravo, don’t let this DICKard spoil this show.

I can’t say the food is wowing me yet, but service definitely needs to improve. I am liking the Top Chef touch of showing what the dishes are, though. Good addition.

Set a table, yet forget the plates, and having to open the cabinet in front of the guests? 🤦‍♀️

Edited by RoseAllDay
Reworded some thoughts.
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Positives first. Scenery is stunning. Cave was cool, but I don’t know if I could have gone in there.

Now, for the rest.

Just found out that Kyle’s last name is Dickard. How fitting! 🤣

Again, I am bothered by the aggression shown toward women on the BD franchises. I would like to think that Kerry/show is going to swiftly deal with Kyle, possibly one of THE worst “Bravolebrities” ever (and after two episodes, that’s saying something). But I don’t know if that will be the case, despite the previews. Look at what Ashton and the “brus” got away with on BD Thailand, Pete on BDM, Bryan on BDM…Yes, there some crappy guests, too, but crew HAS to abide by professional codes of conduct. This is as much on the producers to handle, as it is on Kerry.

I like Kerry, and maybe it’s just Kerry’s style, but the way he approached Kasie about the cave kinda bothered me, too — like he was also blaming her in a way. I know that’s not the case, and he was angry, but I felt she was being put on the defensive just a bit.

I’m also over Kyle’s constant bullying of Nathan (and to some degree, his boss Lewis). The utter disrespect shown over the lifejackets (uh, safety?) and utter GROSSNESS in the cabin, in addition to the incident with Kasie? Uh, nope.

Please, Bravo, don’t let this DICKard spoil this show.

I can’t say the food is wowing me yet, but service definitely needs to improve. I am liking the Top Chef touch of showing what the dishes are, though. Good addition.

Set a table, yet forget the plates, and having to open the cabinet in front of the guests? 🤦‍♀️

This! I was like, what did *she* do??

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Good by Kyle I hope.  He is useless and nothing more than a bully.  The fact that he told the bosun that Nathan was wrong was all you need to know.  They had no life jackets. I find him to be a pig with the females.  I hope he is gone because of this too.  Nathan has been very patient with him I think.

Honestly the chief stew sucks.  If you cannot communicate with the chef you suck.  You clearly cannot.  Two services and it's been you the problem.  Really, your interior couldn't put out plates?  Really?  Honestly I am still trying to find why she thinks there is too much talking?  Dinner service you talk with your chef on when things go out.  Second course be on intercom and then go about.  I find the chief stew useless.  In fact  find them all useless.  Most of this crew is useless.    What a shame.  

Honestly Cap you go to the stew and make her feel (at least to me.  I'd be pissed he came to me like that) before Kyle.  You know the one who has been a total douche the WHOLE time.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, Nunyabiznis said:

We got a new cat one time and all of our chickens came up to our sliding glass door to look at her and then they discussed it amongst themselves.

This one of the most charming things I've read on Primetimer. Thank you for sharing! There is an adorable YouTube video of a chicken who races out each day to greet the school bus.

If they're able to replace him quickly, you have to wonder if the plan was to have him say and do outlandish things and then quickly replace him for a bit less, not too much less drama.

This is now standard formula for Below Deck, which should be called Out the Door.

Again, I am bothered by the aggression shown toward women on the BD franchises.

I had hoped this franchise trope was gone forever, but I think production is testing the waters. If ratings have declined, they must have thought "Let's bring back the misogynists. That'll fix it."

Kyle doesn't have a chip on his shoulder; it's a boulder.

Norway is enchanting. Some of my ancestors settled in Montana because it reminded them of northern Norway.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1

IMO the captain talked to the stew first to see if she was offended by the cave shenanigans as a test of her reactions since this is only their second day. He's gathering information before confronting the person he already anticipates is a problem. 

The bosun needs to control his crew, which I don't think he can do. He should have been on top of the life jacket situation from the first, as should the captain. Isn't it a liability issue? 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 11/12/2022 at 1:42 PM, OlderThanDirt said:

IMO the captain talked to the stew first to see if she was offended by the cave shenanigans as a test of her reactions since this is only their second day. He's gathering information before confronting the person he already anticipates is a problem. 

The bosun needs to control his crew, which I don't think he can do. He should have been on top of the life jacket situation from the first, as should the captain. Isn't it a liability issue? 

To me, Kerry’s tone was a tad aggressive with Kasie. Of course he needed to get her take on what happened, but my first impression was, wait, wut…he’s going to go after her for this? But I think he was still hot over finding out about it from the guests, as well as the total inappropriateness that Kyle showed in front of the guests.

To me Kasie seemed a bit unsure about how to respond at first. Even if she was okay with it — which I doubt — it was still unprofessional and harassing, and cannot happen again. Kyle is thinks he is God’s gift when in fact he’s just a garden-variety jerk.

Agree that Lewis is letting Kyle walk all over him. Previews show Kerry talking to Kyle, which is how it should be since Kyle won’t listen to Lewis.

Right now, Nathan is looking more like bosun material, IMO.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, Nunyabiznis said:

We got a new cat one time and all of our chickens came up to our sliding glass door to look at her and then they discussed it amongst themselves.  

A heron flew down and grabbed one of my hens and then dropped her when I ran out. She didn't make it, but the girls encircled her body and went still. It was like they were having a chicken funeral. My husband told me to put a box over the body and I did. The girls stayed in place for about 10 min then walked away solemn and quiet. It took a good half hour before they were back to "normal". They started chatting amongst themselves but it wasn't rowdy. That really surprised me and have me looking at them differently now. Amazing creatures and definitely not dumb 

• Sad 2
  • Love 1

Ohh I see what happened with the plate situation. Kasie was supposed to finish the table at jes’s request but then she got called to the wheelhouse so I’m pretty sure Kasie was completely thrown off and forgot that she was supposed to finish setting the table. She walked into the kitchen and bunch of orders from the chef and second stew. So I totally see how that ended up happening. 

• Love 1