Type keyword(s) to search

Avery Barkley: Voice of Reason

I hated him at first, and now I think he's great. I can't recall ever completely changing my mind about a TV character like this before. (Oh! Except for Dawson Leery, where initial like turned into burning hatred.)

(And if anyone thinks of a better thread subtitle, please, feel free to get it changed! Some of these are easier than others.)

• Love 1

I adored Jonathan Jackson the actor who plays Avery from the day he first showed up on General Hospital at the age of 11. I really like him on Nashville because it gives him a chance to show off his musical talent.

I was watching an old episode of One Tree Hill today, it was during season six where they did the USO show and I would swear that Johnathan Jackson was playing guitar in the band that backed up Hailey.

(And if anyone thinks of a better thread subtitle, please, feel free to get it changed! Some of these are easier than others.)

I often refer to him as "Avery Barkley, Fixer Of All Problems." Not sure that's any better, but LOVE.

• Love 1

Since they did a complete turn-around and changed the character 100%, yes, he's now likable. Does the change make any sense? Not really. Neither does most of the rest of the show, so it really doesn't matter. But they could have had the original Avery character leave town for Atlanta permanently and created a completely new character to be the nice guy, Bluebird employee, back-up guitarist, and most interesting person in the Zoe/Gunnar/Scarlet/Avery/Juliet quadrangle. Instead they did a total 180 and Jonathan Jackson got to stay on the show. Good for him, but it's not like there's a lot of consistency to the character.

I was watching an old episode of One Tree Hill today, it was during season six where they did the USO show and I would swear that Johnathan Jackson was playing guitar in the band that backed up Hailey.

It was indeed Jonathan! The actress who played Hailey, Bethany Joy Lenz, used to be married to one of Jonathan's bandmates. In the USO episode, Hailey sang a song that Jonathan wrote, "Feel This", so as a cute insider nod, Jonathan and his band backed up Hailey.

• Love 2

I think that General Hospital made a huge mistake not using JJ's musical genius. Hell, even The Young and The Restless used a song that he co-wrote with Steve Burton. It is Who Killed Romeo.

Got the album and it's excellent overall. Great rock music - beautiful, heartfelt writing and musical arrangements. Agree with the glowing review.I never really watched JJ on GH so only started following him on Nashville. Now I can't explain it but I've become a huge fan girl of his (and I am too old probably but can't help myself).  Have listened to some of his Enation previous songs too- and some of them are amazing- Feel this and Eyes of Grace come to mind. His piano and guitar playing on this record are incredible- and he's got amazing vocal range. With so many talented singers on Nashville whose styles probably better fit the show's country theme and genres, I don't see him getting as many singing opportunities now in the show. I guess his songs on the show don't sell as well on iTunes, but I do hope they'll use his talents and continue to show him writing/playing/producing with the other actors.  

• Love 2

Jonathan Jackson & Steve Burton are opening a restaurant in Franklin, TN on the outskirts of Nashville.  The name of the BBQ place is called Jack and Jameson's Smokehouse.  Jack and Jameson are their sons' names.  Don't know when it's opening, but I'll be there!

Jonathan Jackson & Steve Burton are opening a restaurant in Franklin, TN on the outskirts of Nashville.  The name of the BBQ place is called Jack and Jameson's Smokehouse.  Jack and Jameson are their sons' names.  Don't know when it's opening, but I'll be there!

Wait, does Jonathan Jackson have a son named Jack Jackson or Jameson Jackson? Because both of those are horrid. 

JJ's kids are:  Caleb Jackson, Adora Jackson, Titus Gabriel Jackson

SB's kids are:  Makena Grace Burton, Jack Marshall Burton

No idea who Jameson is.  Your guesses are as good as mine.  I'll be seeing JJ & Enation this Friday at Mercy Lounge so if I get the chance to talk with him (yeah, right) I'll ask who Jameson is. 

RE: Jonathan Jackson and Unchained Melody. Thank you Lillybee for linking/sharing this performance.

Wow. That is one of the best renditions of this song I have ever heard. The guy can really belt it. I used to think Sam Palladio had the best vocal range on the show but I think it might be JJ? If not he's pretty close.

Agree- too bad he doesn't get to perform this song on the show. In fact, though, he hardly gets to sing at all anymore. I guess the writers/producers don't think he connects with the audience? Maybe he had a lot to do in season 1 so they are focusing on other characters- but wish they'd let him sing more.

Am interested in the how they pick who sings what - too many guest vocalists this year I think. Seems the quality of season 4 music to me has gone down just as the quality of the show has.

Love the song and the singer- but do still wish he'd get a haircut!

Doesn't JJ have a recording contract in real life? Perhaps his singing on the show is contractually limited. I noticed that he is also one of the artists that is only performing at certain concerts.

But anytime or anyway he can perform on the show is generally appreciated and encouraged by me :)

Loved that line in the show that he said, "Avery, who is that?" or something. I love his character, but the chemistry he has with everyone almost works against him. He's always supporting someone else. I hope that they are leading up to Avery having his own story lines. Would love it if they had him get his own place that is in his taste (so we can see what his taste actually is) or if they introduced his parents (please be Luke and Laura).

4 hours ago, Kanena said:

Would love it if they had him get his own place that is in his taste (so we can see what his taste actually is)

Wasn't he living in his own place when he and Juliette first got together?  Or am I remembering wrong?  I recall Juliette coming to see him with her pink macaroni casserole or something and they had a big romantic moment in which the camera cut away too soon. (There had been so much build up and we kind of got short-changed because the scene was so short.)  And Juliette disliked his taste in furniture and replaced it, causing a big argument.

I much prefer him to stay with Juliette and build their relationship.  They're my favorite Nashville 'ship'.  I would like to see a lot more of Avery performing though.  JJ is super talented!

Luke and Laura as his parents would be fun.  I wonder if they would/could do it?

I want Avery to get his own storylines. However, I really enjoy him as a music producer, which makes it seem like he is supporting others, but I think that is where he shines. I truly believe that he would be an amazing producer. And while I like him performing, I really think its hard to work that into the script. Like Deacon, he has been shown to be about the music, but not about performing. I wonder if they could make his band the opening act for Juliette, that way we get them together & JJ performing.

The best thing they ever did for the character was drop his romantic relationship with Scarlett and hook him up with Juliette. Because I think that is the best chemistry the show has. I love Deacon & Rayna, but Juliette & Avery can do all ranges of emotions couples & work partners have. I like seeing them get frustrated with each other as much as I love them being loving with each other. And personally, it does matter his romantic partner because I've found every other romantic relationship he has been in on the show to be a snoozefest.

I have hopes that they can find good things for Avery regarding letting his music shine. And hopefully putting him in a stable relationship with Juliette will allow that.

On 1/15/2017 at 11:52 PM, AnnaRose said:

Luke and Laura as his parents would be fun.  I wonder if they would/could do it?

I would *love* to see Genie, aka Laura, and JJ act together again. (I believe Geary, aka Luke, is retired now and living abroad.) But Avery's parents were already cast; they showed up while Juliette was pregnant and things didn't go well - Avery was angry about their criticism, telling Juliette to ignore what was said.

28 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I would *love* to see Genie, aka Laura, and JJ act together again. (I believe Geary, aka Luke, is retired now and living abroad.) But Avery's parents were already cast; they showed up while Juliette was pregnant and things didn't go well - Avery was angry about their criticism, telling Juliette to ignore what was said.

Oops... I totally forgot that we had already met Avery's folks.