Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Quarterfinal #8: Patton Oswalt, Candace Parker and Torrey Devito

• Start Topic

As a WNBA fan, I was rooting for Candace Parker, but I "know" Torrey DeVitto as Andy's daughter on an episode of Major Crimes and, while I've only seen Patton Oswalt in a couple of things, I've been sent several amusing tweets of his, so I was open.  Planned Parenthood was my favorite of the organizations being played for, but it was clear pretty early on they weren't getting more than the $30k.

I liked Torrey's volunteer activities, and admitting when she watched J! with her family she'd scoff that obviously she was never going on that show. 

Candace made me laugh with her invitations to the audience to laugh, her "We're so screwed" to Torrey when Patton hit one of his many DDs, and the fist bump those two shared when the nightmare was finally over.

My pop culture knowledge gaps got me in the first round, missing three when I normally sail through.  I almost ran the second round, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by the Jewish holiday.  Pop culture got me again in the third, but just once; I couldn't remember the name of the K-pop band.  I got everything else, though.  My initial response to FJ was "Huh?" and then I thought of Popeye (hey, he's a sailor), but realized that's not a corporate mascot, and finally the light bulb went on.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

My initial response to FJ was "Huh?" and then I thought of Popeye (hey, he's a sailor), but realized that's not a corporate mascot, and finally the light bulb went on.

My first thought was Chips Ahoy (milk and cookies) but then I realized cereal was more likely and got to Cap'n Crunch (who I knew was not wearing a Cap'n's uniform but couldn't remember what it actually was).

• Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 7:21 AM, sugarbaker design said:

FJ was an Instaget for me, and I truly appreciated PO's correct spelling of Cap'n!

This FJ reminded me of this. 

(It’s Letterkenny’s own Squarely Dan’s favorite comedian)

• LOL 3

I remembered this was on, recorded it, and just watched today.  I'm glad all three got to play in FJ, but damn, Patton just killed it.  Some of their answers were truly boneheaded, but at least they had fun, I suppose.

I tried to root for Torrey, because of her charity, but I just couldn't do it.  I did like Candace telling the audience to cheer for her.

Oh, and it took me a second for FJ, but I got it in plenty of time.

• Applause 1

I had recorded this and watched it tonight. I’m a huge Patton fan and follow his comedy closely. He’s very sharp. I think he took a pause based on the first few minutes and just….sat….back. It was a slaughter. 

• Like 2
On 1/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, Quickbeam said:

I had recorded this and watched it tonight. I’m a huge Patton fan and follow his comedy closely. He’s very sharp. I think he took a pause based on the first few minutes and just….sat….back. It was a slaughter. 

I thought the same. That he was trying to be polite and let the other two answer a few just for their egos' sakes. I knew he would do well. Seems like the comedians (especially ones who write as opposed to those who act in sitcoms) usually do.

• Like 2