Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: A Pauper's Grave

• Start Topic

Ivy's got a suitor! Good for her. Haha. Maybe if she butters him up enough Eliza won't have to keep letting herself into the morgue :P

It's always a nice time when the secondary cast gets their turn in the spotlight. Moses and Ivy were great.

I kind of want William to quit his job, but then we'd lose those police connections. He desperately needs a win. :(

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Wow: they’re really taking down the toffs, as it were.  I *knew the vicar’s wife was off; just not…that off.   At least William learned from that burn, and so wasn’t willing to walk away from the Chief Coroner, even after the man’s secret backstory so clearly matched his own.

Glad that the wealth was spread amongst the supporting cast, and I hope they tease out that dick-measuring between William & Moses for at least as long as the one between William & Eliza.  But I’m with @HoodlumSheep as re: the fact that Duke needs a win.  Preferably in the next ep.  While it’s true that this might have been considered a tie, *she was holding the gun at the end.

Mad props for giving us shirtless Stuart!  Here in the cheap seats, I so enjoyed the view.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Kudos to the poster who predicted that the Duke was getting affection from “loose” women, though this particular woman seems less a pushover than expected given how irritated she was with  even the idea that he had a wife. I loved Ivy during this scene and the entire episode. 
I called the vicar’s wife as the grave robber, not because I’m particularly clever, but because I’ve been trying to read mysteries with a dissecting eye to see how writers place their clues and misdirection. She just seemed the obvious choice. 
Poor William. I don’t like that he’s having trouble at work which he doesn’t deserve.  I might be a bit prejudiced because the actor is so charming. Nice to see Fitzroy coming along. As for William’s mean boss, at least you can see the man coming like a charging bull and making him look good would be all it would take to pacify him. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntieMame said:

I called the vicar’s wife as the grave robber, not because I’m particularly clever, but because I’ve been trying to read mysteries with a dissecting eye to see how writers place their clues and misdirection. She just seemed the obvious choice. 
Poor William. I don’t like that he’s having trouble at work which he doesn’t deserve.  I might be a bit prejudiced because the actor is so charming. Nice to see Fitzroy coming along. As for William’s mean boss, at least you can see the man coming like a charging bull and making him look good would be all it would take to pacify him. 

I thought the Vicar's "wife" looked familiar. I looked her up and she was Mr. Bean's girlfriend, among other roles. 

• Love 1

Enjoyable episode.  I particularly liked Ivy in this episode.  I much prefer more Ivy versus the obsequiously eager cousin of Rupert's.  Also liked Moses' role in the investigation.  Hope we see more of Clementine too, she was a hoot.

William's boss is a complete ass, especially when he offered whiskey to that other detective, who is probably aware of exactly what the boss is doing but still plays along.  Good for William for not rising to take the bait, but I agree with others that he needs to have some good things happen for him at work.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I thought this one was cute. I had no clue who did what but I liked Eliza hiding out and working it from her end and William (Ha! he's got himself a side-piece!!) working it from his end and they both ended up at the same place.

Really enjoyed William and Moses. I love the rivalry! Though in that time and place I don't consider him (Moses) a real contender for Eliza's affections. I love how Fitzroy seems enamored of Eliza and William is kind of bugged by it. It makes me smile. 

Ivy! You go girl! 

Edited by taanja
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

Kudos to the poster who predicted that the Duke was getting affection from “loose” women, though this particular woman seems less a pushover than expected given how irritated she was with  even the idea that he had a wife.

That was me, and my conjecture came from a few lines from last season. I assumed that during the time frame when Eliza and William were going out to dinner each week, that he had put a pause to his side dalliances. Going out to dinner was pretty much courting back then, and I hate to think that William wanted to have his cake and eat it too. So I was a bit annoyed at him that he went right back to his loose women. I also was annoyed that Eliza knew about it and didn't seem the least bit annoyed! Why aren't more people annoyed! lol

Although I didn't enjoy the behavior, I did enjoy the shirtless scene, and I love when his hair gets wavy. I wish it could be like that all of the time, but I suppose that was considered unkept. I also liked William's clothes being thrown at him, and the on going joke that Eliza is not his wife! Really curious to know how Ivy tracked him down.

I'm finding the mysteries this season to be much more complicated and convoluted than last season. I don't want something that is obvious and easy to solve, but I'm finding them difficult to follow, and I don't always understand how Eliza manages to put the pieces together.

Eliza took a bit of a backseat this episode, but I really didn't mind, since it gave a chance for others to shine. And despite being stuck in a room, she still managed to solve the case. lol

Really liked Ivy's storyline, and happy to see at least one of the women on the show grabbing the bull by the horns! Maybe she'll inspire Eliza to go after William.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

That was me, and my conjecture came from a few lines from last season. I assumed that during the time frame when Eliza and William were going out to dinner each week, that he had put a pause to his side dalliances. Going out to dinner was pretty much courting back then, and I hate to think that William wanted to have his cake and eat it too. So I was a bit annoyed at him that he went right back to his loose women. I also was annoyed that Eliza knew about it and didn't seem the least bit annoyed! Why aren't more people annoyed! lol

Although I didn't enjoy the behavior, I did enjoy the shirtless scene, and I love when his hair gets wavy. I wish it could be like that all of the time, but I suppose that was considered unkept. I also liked William's clothes being thrown at him, and the on going joke that Eliza is not his wife! Really curious to know how Ivy tracked him down.

Ha! I was a little annoyed that William is back to having a side-piece. But then I remember -- this is Victorian England -- a time when many husbands had mistresses - so a single man fooling around? No Big Deal.

I figured Ivy asked around and William ---not keeping his dalliance a secret---- was pretty easy to find.

Yes!!!! the inside on going joke of Eliza being William's wife will never get old!

I never "get" the mystery so I don't even try! I am only watching for the character relationships!

• Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 10:35 AM, AuntieMame said:

I loved Ivy during this scene and the entire episode. 

I can’t believe she stepped out of her comfort zone as she did! So proud of her! Just thinking this episode, too, that Scarlet grossly underestimates her, doesn’t fully appreciate her and generally, takes her for granted. Ivy fully deserves to dish any amount of snark she serves up to Scarlet. But she never will. 

Edited by Daff
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 10/31/2022 at 7:35 AM, AuntieMame said:

Nice to see Fitzroy coming along.

Although I wouldn't assign any great deal of common sense to him yet, though, since he managed to put his boot in an enormous, hard to miss by sight or smell, pile of horse flop.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Although I didn't enjoy the behavior, I did enjoy the shirtless scene, and I love when his hair gets wavy. I wish it could be like that all of the time, but I suppose that was considered unkept. I also liked William's clothes being thrown at him, and the on going joke that Eliza is not his wife! Really curious to know how Ivy tracked him 

Really liked Ivy's storyline, and happy to see at least one of the women on the show grabbing the bull by the horns! Maybe she'll inspire Eliza to go after William.

I’m impressed @pezgirl7, then again, I should probably be paying more attention. Television is a place where I multitask and work on knitting and embroidery and jewelry making. Once I watch the first episode or so and get the characters sorted I shift my attention back and forth.  

Buy me a ticket for the shallow train because boy he is a handsome man, but it isn’t just the looks; it’s the understanding, somber charm of the man too. Definitely a guy with It and the kind of man who could make you literally weak at the knees. 

20 hours ago, Daff said:

I can’t believe she stepped out of her comfort zone as she did! So proud of her! Just thinking this episode, too, that Scarlet grossly underestimates her, doesn’t fully appreciate her and generally, takes her for granted. Ivy fully deserves to dish any amount of snark she serves up to Scarlet. But she never will. 

One of the things I don’t like about Eliza is that she’s written to have a huge case of Not Like the Other Girls. She wants to be seen for her brains and talents and not treated with contempt but is willing to apply sexism to the women around her without thinking. She does it to Ivy but she also did it to the young woman who knows printing and is so fond of fonts. And that woman is clearly intelligent. I loved it when she called Eliza out on the circumstances that were making it possible for Eliza to pursue a certain degree of freedom. In that moment font girl wasn’t just a quirky flibbertygibbet but pointed and fierce. Ivy also keeps showing her intelligence and her staunch loyalty and Eliza keeps not noticing, intent on her own legend. I hope the writers do something about this because climbing on the backs of other women isn’t feminist in any era. 

11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Although I wouldn't assign any great deal of common sense to him yet, though, since he managed to put his boot in an enormous, hard to miss by sight or smell, pile of horse flop.

Agreed, but it’s still nice to see some improvement from a cringing mass of self hatred and sabotage. I think William is starting to be a decent boss and mentor to Fitzroy even if the role was thrust upon him. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

Ivy also keeps showing her intelligence and her staunch loyalty and Eliza keeps not noticing, intent on her own legend.

It wouldn’t matter if Scarlet were man or woman, she can’t shed the roles of child (to be cared for and protected) and nurse maid/surrogate mother (the protector). While she’s bold enough to venture into the outside world alone, (because she has some skills, and a few forms of protection), she can’t seem to move that home relationship into a more adult form. If Ivy gains a suitor, however, she may have to change her attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2