Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Passion’s Harvest and a Sheldocracy

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 10/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

I thought the end with Sheldon taking over was going to be a dream sequence. I know people coddle Sheldon but Sturgis has shown himself able to stand up to him.

I've already deleted this episode so I can't go back and check (until it hits eternal reruns of course) but I didn't think Dr. Sturgis was coddling Sheldon.  Wasn't it just Sheldon doing his presentation in class and some of the kids reacting as if they were prepared to go along with him?  I found that funny (and sadly true to life in the sense that there are always going to be willing followers).  Did Dr. Sturgis also go along with the idea of a Sheldocracy?

On 10/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

I would have like it if Dusty was played by Pastor Rob.

I too was expecting that when ‘Marie’ walked into the bar. But that would have been too much of a fantasy— Mary knows she shouldn’t entertain thoughts like that while awake.

• Like 1

At the end… Why didn’t Mary just go to her own bedroom and lock the door?  More comfortable to sit on her bed, than to sit on the edge of the bathtub—and occupy the only bathroom in the process. (I know, because then we don’t get to hear the ‘garage sink’ punchline. But still.)

• Love 2

When I made the comment about Sheldon’s acting being wooden, I meant now. The first 4-5 seasons, he was exhibiting all the grownup Sheldon personality traits, e.g. selfish, self centered, know it all, narcissist. But Ian was natural and relaxed as he portrayed those traits. He didn’t stand all stiff and talk like a robot. Not sure if he’s more self conscious as he goes through puberty, but that’s not how Jim Parsons acts. He may be an ass (adult Sheldon), but he always came across as natural. All I can think of when I hear Ian talk now is the robot on Lost in Space. “WarningWillRobinson.” (said in a run together monotone).

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Wasn't it just Sheldon doing his presentation in class and some of the kids reacting as if they were prepared to go along with him?

IIRC, I think they had a WTF look on their faces (much like me).  They didn't know what was going on.  Was it part of his presentation?  Was it a joke?  It was odd.  

22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Star Trek is full of examples of ethical dilemmas. Sheldon could have examined any of those.

Yes! The Prime Directive would be an excellent example. Especially when Kirk violated it every other episode.

• Love 5
On 10/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, ChitChat said:

was expecting him to have had some huge 'aha' moment with the assignment and to have presented it in a very unique way.

To me that would've been hugely out of character for him.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

And I guess Meemaw blew most of it on her sports car.

Well she does have to pay back Dale for the bail money/fines.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I've already deleted this episode so I can't go back and check (until it hits eternal reruns of course) but I didn't think Dr. Sturgis was coddling Sheldon.  Wasn't it just Sheldon doing his presentation in class and some of the kids reacting as if they were prepared to go along with him?  I found that funny (and sadly true to life in the sense that there are always going to be willing followers).  Did Dr. Sturgis also go along with the idea of a Sheldocracy?

Coddling was a poor choice of word on my part. Sturgis didn't go along with Sheldon, but he also seemed powerless to stop the situation.  I can see Sheldon starting his overthrow, Sturgis loudly saying "SIT DOWN", and Sheldon's eyes going wide as he says "Yes sir" and sits.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well she does have to pay back Dale for the bail money/fines.

I believe it was implied that she will be paying him back with....something other than cash....(wink wink)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I believe it was implied that she will be paying him back with....something other than cash....(wink wink)

She offered, he countered with "it's too much money for one time" and she said never mind.  I didn't think for a moment that was actually how she's going to pay the money back.

Edited by proserpina65
On 10/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, shapeshifter said:

Is there a legal significance (with possible plot significance) to Georgie not being legally adult when the baby is born?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe it's because a child is tangible proof of an inappropriate/illegal relationship. IIRC Mandy is 28 - just imagine if the roles were reversed and a 28-year-old guy had a baby with a teen girl. There would likely be charges pressed. You hear about it less with women but no doubt the danger of the situation still holds for Mandy, even 30+ years ago. 

Re: Mary's imagining herself in the scenes she was writing - Anyone else remember the episode of The Carol Burnett Show where a character was writing and they did exactly this?? It was hilarious!

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe it's because a child is tangible proof of an inappropriate/illegal relationship. IIRC Mandy is 28 - just imagine if the roles were reversed and a 28-year-old guy had a baby with a teen girl. There would likely be charges pressed. You hear about it less with women but no doubt the danger of the situation still holds for Mandy, even 30+ years ago. 

Re: Mary's imagining herself in the scenes she was writing - Anyone else remember the episode of The Carol Burnett Show where a character was writing and they did exactly this?? It was hilarious!

Age of consent in TX is 17.  There are not legal issues here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, shapeshifter said:

In the less-than 20 minutes of script they managed to include:

• [MANDY] . . . now I'm living in a garage with the 17-year-old who got me pregnant. 
  • [GEORGIE] I'll be 18 before you know it. 
  • [MANDY ( crying )] But not before you're a father!

Is there a legal significance (with possible plot significance) to Georgie not being legally adult when the baby is born?

42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was wondering specifically about Georgie's legal relationship to the baby, since the dialog specifically stated that Georgie would still be 17 (a minor) when the baby was born. 
Like, if Mandy decides to give the baby up for adoption or to leave the state with the baby——including but not limited to, if she starts a relationship with a supportive adult who lives out of the state, or if Mandy gets a great job offer with childcare benefits out of the state——does Georgie have any legal say in the matter in Texas at the time of the show (1990s) if Georgie is a minor?

Oh well. If it matters to the show, we'll find out.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was wondering specifically about Georgie's legal relationship to the baby, since the dialog specifically stated that Georgie would still be 17 (a minor) when the baby was born. 
Like, if Mandy decides to give the baby up for adoption or to leave the state with the baby——including but not limited to, if she starts a relationship with a supportive adult who lives out of the state, or if Mandy gets a great job offer with childcare benefits out of the state——does Georgie have any legal say in the matter in Texas at the time of the show (1990s) if Georgie is a minor?

Yes, Georgie would have the same rights he would have otherwise. Same as a teenage mother has if she gives birth before 18.  He also has the same responsibilities to pay child support, minor or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, Georgie would have the same rights he would have otherwise. Same as a teenage mother has if she gives birth before 18.  He also has the same responsibilities to pay child support, minor or not.

Thanks. I was wondering that scrap of dialog was foreshadowing that the baby would "go away" from the show because of Georgie's age, but that makes more sense.
--Not that the plots on this show necessarily make sense.😉🙃

But it was probably just emphasis on Georgie's age in case any viewers forgot,
or maybe because the actor is about 25.  <-- Correction! Montana Jordan is 19.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

One thing we've been shown is that Georgie is a decent kid.  If Mandy wants his help he's there for her but I don't see him objecting if she were to leave the area for better opportunities.  They'd do a Special Episode (well given this is a 17 minute show they'd do a Special 3 minutes) about him having to let go and then they'd move on.  Which, is where I really hope they go with this storyline.  The sooner it's over, the better!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But it was probably just emphasis on Georgie's age in case any viewers forgot, or maybe because the actor is about 25.

Are you sure?  According to Wikipedia and Famous Birthdays, he's 19. Normally, I would have just taken you at your word, but him being 25 now would have made him 18 or 19 when the show started and he didn't look that old to me back then.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Are you sure?  According to Wikipedia and Famous Birthdays, he's 19. Normally, I would have just taken you at your word, but him being 25 now would have made him 18 or 19 when the show started and he didn't look that old to me back then.

You are correct!
Montana Jordan is 19 now.
I will correct my post above. 
This is why I prefer a laptop to doing everything on my phone. 

Anyhoo. I suppose they still could've just included those lines to remind us how young he is. 

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just Googled it - there is apparently something called the "Romeo and Juliet Law" in TX that allows for consent below age 18. However, that stipulates there cannot be more than 3 years' age difference between the two consenting partners - and we know there's about 10 years between Mandy and Georgie. So unfortunately, yes, there could be legal issues.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

I just Googled it - there is apparently something called the "Romeo and Juliet Law" in TX that allows for consent below age 18. However, that stipulates there cannot be more than 3 years' age difference between the two consenting partners - and we know there's about 10 years between Mandy and Georgie. So unfortunately, yes, there could be legal issues.

That would only apply if Georgie were younger than the age of consent, which he is not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2022 at 7:54 AM, shapeshifter said:

I think the larger issue isn't his age but the fact that he isn't married to her. I don't the biological father has rights unless he is married to her. I could be wrong on this and someone will hopefully correct me if I am.  

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think the larger issue isn't his age but the fact that he isn't married to her. I don't the biological father has rights unless he is married to her. I could be wrong on this and someone will hopefully correct me if I am.  

Custody rights after the baby is born?  Of course, they do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1