Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Passion’s Harvest and a Sheldocracy

Bort
  • Start Topic

This episode was like a breath of fresh air. No depressing stuff, just fun. Even Georgie’s storyline felt lighter: Mandy was finally letting him help her, and he came through quite well!

Mary getting all sexed up from writing a (chaste) romance novel and putting the spark back in her and George’s marriage was just great. I am loving this new church-free Mary! I know this respite won’t last, but let me enjoy it anyway.

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And I loved George and Missy's confab when Sheldon needed help with his homework.  LOL.

Even funnier was how after all that, Sheldon walked out when Missy asked what “ethical” meant.

• Like 4
  • Love 13

Mary writing the romance novel was hysterical. The outcome was the perfect mix of racy and cheesy Hallmark movie. So on brand for her and I loved it. 

Sheldon and the ethical dilemma plot was also funny and I'm happy to see Dr. Sturgis is back. 

I'm also happy Mandy is softening towards Georgie (although I guess she doesn't have a choice). It makes the pregnancy plot much less of a drag. 

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Love new sexy Mary! Sheldon’s trying too hard to speak perfectly. It drives me insane. I literally can’t stand to listen to him. When he was speaking to the class at the end, it was like he had marbles in his mouth. His acting is wooden. Oh Ian, someone needs to take you under their wing.

Glad Mandy’s coming around. Sorry it took financial difficulties. It’s like the show is having an epidemic of money issues. Maybe Mary will be able to sell her “bodice ripper” to  a publisher and make some big cash!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Three flavors - chocolate, vanilla, and pink.

"I need help with my homework." "Did someone take it from you?" "Is it heavy? Do you need help lifting it?"

Seemed odd that Mandy didn't go to Connie first when she got evicted. (And I don't know about Texas, but in my state the landlord has to let you get your things out of the apartment.)

• Like 4
  • Love 11

Just started watching so during  the 7 minute commercial break I am here to ask:  where is the computer located that Mary is writing her novel with? And, who is the actor who plays Dustin?   Driving me crazy and the show has just started!  

Edited to add:  still no idea where the computer it located but saw the name of the guy who played Dustin.  I think he looked like a young Tim Matheson but otherwise he wasn't someone I know.  My damn TV channel shrunk down the credits to a tiny little sqaure in the corner because of course they didn't already have enough commercials on already.  Aaargh.

Anyway chiming in at this point to agree that this show was refreshing.  I liked all the storylines and even the idiotic pregnancy storyline didn't bother me as much this time.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Just started watching so during  the 7 minute commercial break I am here to ask:  where is the computer located that Mary is writing her novel with? And, who is the actor who plays Dustin?   Driving me crazy and the show has just started!  

Looked like the kitchen.
It reminded me of Annie Potts as Mary Elizabeth 'M.E.' Sims in Any Day Now (1998-2002) who became a housewife when she got pregnant as a teen, but eventually started a writing career at the age of Mary in Young Sheldon. Kind of cool if Mary will be following in the footsteps of MeMaw's alter ego in another TV universe. M.E. wrote on a typewriter at a little table in (I think) a pantry off the kitchen.

Oops. The computer is in the bowling alley?? She just rights in a notebook in the kitchen:

7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought it was in Mary's office in the back of the bowling alley.  At home, she is writing in a notebook.

And, who is the actor who plays Dustin?   Driving me crazy

Michael Trucco is Dusty, Mary's imaginary fictional boyfriend.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Michael Trucco is Dusty, Mary's imaginary fictional boyfriend.

I looked him up and I realize now why he looked familiar.  He played the hot motor cycle riding physicist who has a brief fling with Penny on BBT and he's 51.  Man, he looked good for 51!  My husband is feeling a little jealous.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Sheldon was completely confused and flummoxed by the ethical dilemmas in science.  So his conclusion was that he should be the ultimate arbiter of all decisions?  Makes no sense.  Except to Sheldon, apparently.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought it was in Mary's office in the back of the bowling alley. 

Yeah she was probably on lunch break.

Season 6 is already so much better than Season 5 so far. Glad Mandy finally let her guard down and is staying with MeeMaw. She probably needed to do that anyway. Georgie is so good to her. Mary is so much more likable without the church. She doesn’t need them. Their loss. And it’s helping their marriage.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

He played the hot motor cycle riding physicist who has a brief fling with Penny on BBT and he's 51. 

Bath Gift Hypothesis is one of the BBT episodes that I'll always rewatch. Looks like another member of the Lorre ensemble!

Glad you looked it up, I was thinking I'd seen him before 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Mary getting all sexed up from writing a (chaste) romance novel and putting the spark back in her and George’s marriage was just great.

Yes! And now I think I know how George might die of a heart attack. 😆

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Bath Gift Hypothesis is one of the BBT episodes that I'll always rewatch. Looks like another member of the Lorre ensemble!

Glad you looked it up, I was thinking I'd seen him before 

At first I thought it was Brian Thomas Smith, who played Zack on BBT, bit as soon as he started speaking, I knew it wasn’t him

11 hours ago, rmontro said:

So his conclusion was that he should be the ultimate arbiter of all decisions?  Makes no sense.  Except to Sheldon, apparently.

Makes perfect sense.  This is how he saw the world on BBT.  Personally I don't find it funny.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I wish someone had told Sheldon that ethics is like Heisenberg's uncertainty principal, but on the macroscopic level. Sometimes you can't tell what was ethical until the war is over and the bodies have been counted (and even that can be iffy).

Is it ethical to put a cat in a box with a randomized poison dispenser? If the cat survives it was cool. Otherwise ...

• Like 3
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Mary getting all sexed up from writing a (chaste) romance novel and putting the spark back in her and George’s marriage was just great.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, NoReally said:

Yes! And now I think I know how George might die of a heart attack. 😆

And maybe Mary puts on a blond wig as part of a role-playing bit——which Sheldon walks in on in the afternoon, similar to what Mandy overheard. I can totally buy Mary thinking it would be more embarrassing to try to explain to Sheldon why she was wearing a wig than to correct his misapprehension that he saw his father with another woman. Maybe Mary would tell Sheldon he just didn't see that at all.

Edited by shapeshifter
Forgot to spoiler tag TBBT continuity theory
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Georgie was awesome. A few seasons ago, he was willing to put himself between Veronica and her father, when Veronica's father was closer to George's size. He is still the same guy. He can be stupid, and make bad decisions, but ultimately/overall he is a good and sweet kid. He is trying to do the right thing/the best he can for Mandy, because he realizes his role in the pregnancy situation. 

I could have done without Sheldon's storyline. I liked Mary's fantasy more than I thought I would. I really hope she keeps writing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

Love new sexy Mary! Sheldon’s trying too hard to speak perfectly. It drives me insane. I literally can’t stand to listen to him. When he was speaking to the class at the end, it was like he had marbles in his mouth. His acting is wooden. Oh Ian, someone needs to take you under their wing.

Glad Mandy’s coming around. Sorry it took financial difficulties. It’s like the show is having an epidemic of money issues. Maybe Mary will be able to sell her “bodice ripper” to  a publisher and make some big cash!

But Sheldon is wooden.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

Sheldon was completely confused and flummoxed by the ethical dilemmas in science.  So his conclusion was that he should be the ultimate arbiter of all decisions?  Makes no sense.  Except to Sheldon, apparently.

It's fits with what we know of his personality, though.

• Like 3
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, rmontro said:

So his conclusion was that he should be the ultimate arbiter of all decisions?  Makes no sense.  Except to Sheldon, apparently.

That scene with him taking control kind of threw me for a second.  It was a WTH is happening here kind of moment!  It just seemed odd.  They could've written something better than that!

I admire Georgie for doing everything he can to help Mandy.  He said that he would "fix it" so that Mandy didn't have to live in the garage, and by George, he did (pun intended)!!  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And maybe Mary puts on a blond wig as part of a role-playing bit——which Sheldon walks in on in the afternoon, similar to what Mandy overheard. I can totally buy Mary thinking it would be more embarrassing to try to explain to Sheldon why she was wearing a wig than to correct his misapprehension that he saw his father with another woman. Maybe Mary would tell Sheldon he just didn't see that at all.

And then she keeps the wig on and buys him an action figure to win her over and he still doens't recognize her?  Seems a bit of a stretch.

This is just a different show.  Don't try to tie it in to TBBT.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That scene with him taking control kind of threw me for a second.

Why?  It's exactly what Sheldon would do.  He thinks he's always right and should get the final word.  In a previous episode where he had to work with other students, his idea was to do all the work and just put their names on it.  What he does in this episode flows from the same impulse.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And then she keeps the wig on and buys him an action figure to win her over and he still doens't recognize her?  Seems a bit of a stretch.

This is just a different show.  Don't try to tie it in to TBBT.

Oops. Forgot that bit. Well then, how about:

Spoiler

Sheldon wonders if Mary in the blonde wig is Brenda, and then when Brenda the neighbor gives him an action figure (that her son didn’t want) Sheldon concludes Brenda is trying to win him over.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

That was such a fun episode, I was having such a great time watching. I love Mary's romance novel, just the perfect combination of PG-13 smut and romance. She just wants someone to listen to her talk about her day and validate her feelings, which is ironically what George has wanted too. Its really sad that they have so many issues communicating with each other, if they could really talk it out and see how similar they are, things would probably have gone better for them. 

Sheldon really struggles with questions that don't have obvious answers, like in that philosophy class he took. That was a fun story, it was great seeing Dr. Sturgis, I think he does a good job of pushing Sheldon in a positive way, and Sheldon deciding to declare the Sheldocracy was a hilarious way to end. 

Georgie might not always make great choices, but he really is a good kid. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's fits with what we know of his personality, though.

Yep. Sheldon's personality is about the only thing about Young Sheldon that tallies with what we know of the Coopers from BBT.  It's one of the things I do think YS has done well - we are very clearly seeing the evolution of Dr. Sheldon Cooper here.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

So am I the only one who didn't like this episode?  In actuality I suppose I was ambivalent.

I did enjoy Georgie's attempts to help Mandy, the neighbor with the shotgun, and Missy and George reacting to Sheldon's request for help with his homework.

I hated Mary's attempts to write a romance novel.  To me it was not humorous at all and I didn't like the "woohoo George is gonna get some" reaction when George Sr gets to have sex with his wife because suddenly she's in the mood.  What about his mood and desires?  They paint him as almost useless in the marriage.  She runs everything.  He's there if and when she needs him.

The Sheldocracy?  Nothing new with that. 

Was I the only one thinking "shotgun wedding". 

• Love 2

I'm hoping this newfound affection between George and Mary isn't blown to shit when Brenda "casually" tells George that Pastor Rob has been hanging around the bowling alley. I thought they were setting the stage for it when Dale commented on why Mary is suddenly attracted to George. I can't remember the exact wording, but the scene ended with George looking befuddled. 

I also can't decide if Brenda is going to turn out to be friend or foe. I can understand both she and George being drawn to each other due to mutual unhappiness, but would they really cross that line? Brenda and Mary have never been besties, but still, they're longtime neighbors. Both families would be irreparably damaged. I'm normally a stickler for continuity in sitcoms, but I am 100% okay with the writers retconning this bit of history. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I would have like it if Dusty was played by Pastor Rob.

I was expecting that, but I guessed Mary wasn't quite ready to go there yet, even in her imagination. Maybe writing romance novels could be a way of Mary to bring in some money for the family. Even if they don't show up on Oprah's Book Club, I'm sure there would be an audience for them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Why?  It's exactly what Sheldon would do.  He thinks he's always right and should get the final word.

I was expecting him to have had some huge 'aha' moment with the assignment and to have presented it in a very unique way.  I was thrown by what he actually did, not that it wasn't in his nature, but rather a moment that took a weird and unexpected turn!

I liked seeing Mary channeling her new energy into a creative expression. I know lots of people liked "Fun Mary" who gets drunk and dances (and makes googly eyes at Rob), but I feel like that was an unhealthy (for HER, not necessarily EVERYONE) expression.

I like Georgie stepping up, but I hope if nothing else he and Mandy become close friends and coparents, not romantic partners. And I wondered why she didn't go to Meemaw's to begin with, since she already offered to help. Actually, why isn't Meemaw offering to help the Coopers? Last season she was rolling in cash from her gambling room.

I thought the end with Sheldon taking over was going to be a dream sequence. I know people coddle Sheldon but Sturgis has shown himself able to stand up to him.

All said, I am one of those who wants the show to stick to TBBT canon, depressing as it will be. So it's a little bittersweet to see an upswing between George and Mary knowing where it goes.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

Actually, why isn't Meemaw offering to help the Coopers? Last season she was rolling in cash from her gambling room.

Yeah, but TV money is like Monopoly money, if you know what I mean.
image.png.7ad29da60f1ad28f3b96bf336199d2ae.png

And I guess Meemaw blew most of it on her sports car.

But about Mandy not going to Meemaw for a place to live sooner:
Having been a single mother, I know the shame attached to asking for help. It's like: Other people have their own to take care of, and not enough to cover all of my and my kid(s) needs.
If Georgie hadn't shown up and questioned the candles, nobody would have known Mandy's situation. 

I hope Mary's book gets published. IRL, that wouldn't happen, but in TV life, why not?

Edited by shapeshifter
Grammar
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oops. Forgot that bit. Well then, how about:

Hide contents

Sheldon wonders if Mary in the blonde wig is Brenda, and then when Brenda the neighbor gives him an action figure (that her son didn’t want) Sheldon concludes Brenda is trying to win him over.

That's in keeping with what I proposed last year - that Sheldon would be somehow mistaken about seeing his father with another woman.  

And then even if Mary told him it was her he might at first believe it but his sister might tell him she probably told him that just to make him feel better.  So that would be how he would come to believe it was not Mary.  Or as you said, Mary wouldn't own up to it being her, although I don't know if she'd go that far because it would make him much sadder than if she told him the truth.  But I could definitely see his sister or even Georgie convincing him it wasn't Mary and that she was just trying to protect him from the truth.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Georgie might not always make great choices, but he really is a good kid. 

This is the absolute, perfect description of Georgie. 

1 hour ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I like Georgie stepping up, but I hope if nothing else he and Mandy become close friends and coparents, not romantic partners. And I wondered why she didn't go to Meemaw's to begin with, since she already offered to help. Actually, why isn't Meemaw offering to help the Coopers? Last season she was rolling in cash from her gambling room.

I'm with you on Mandy going to Connie for help sooner. While Mandy may be proud and unwilling to accept "charity," Connie would find some way to make the arrangement acceptable to Mandy. Mandy would be able help in other ways even if she couldn't hold down a regular job and pay regular rent, she could do errands and help around the house. 

My guess is that Connie wants to keep the source of her money secret. A steady stream of money from an unknown source is difficult to explain.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/13/2022 at 11:04 PM, rmontro said:

Sheldon was never going to like ethics class just like he hated philosophy.  Any class where there is not a clear and singular 1/0 answer is going to infuriate him.  And the whole point of ethics class is to see both sides of the issue and be able to debate that.   On the bright side Sheldon does create a Sheldoaracy in his life with Leonard and the gang.  So he does eventually get his dream.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I think it’s very telling that Mary isn't really turned on by the raunchy sex in the Romance novel, but in her own novel she is turned on by a man who listens to her, and validates her as a person. 

That is the perfect fantasy for her.  She doesn’t care about the sex stuff bit likes the early stages of romance which she likely missed out on with George since they married young and pregnant.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Isn't that his personality?  He never relaxes and has fun.

Other people are going to remember this so much better than me, but here goes anyway.

There was a BBT episode when they were trying to decide which movie theater to go to and Sheldon was debating Icee versus Slushy and Red Vines versus Twizzlers and where they were going to have dinner before the show. He ended up not going at all because he would have had to settle for Twizzlers Instead of Redvines (or something like that).

Just saying, these are Sheldon’s priorities.  Having fun often gets lost.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Other people are going to remember this so much better than me, but here goes anyway.

There was a BBT episode when they were trying to decide which movie theater to go to and Sheldon was debating Icee versus Slushy and Red Vines versus Twizzlers and where they were going to have dinner before the show. He ended up not going at all because he would have had to settle for Twizzlers Instead of Redvines (or something like that).

Just saying, these are Sheldon’s priorities.  Having fun often gets lost.

And he conceded they made the right choice to go without him

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

In the less-than 20 minutes of script they managed to include:

• [MANDY] . . . now I'm living in a garage with the 17-year-old who got me pregnant. 
  • [GEORGIE] I'll be 18 before you know it. 
  • [MANDY ( crying )] But not before you're a father!

Is there a legal significance (with possible plot significance) to Georgie not being legally adult when the baby is born?

On 10/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, snarkylady said:

So am I the only one who didn't like this episode?  In actuality I suppose I was ambivalent.

I thought the "Sheldonocracy" twist was dumb, but then again, we've seen instances when Sheldon doesn't understand something, and he becomes an obnoxious little kid about it.   Hopefully Prof. Sturgis will nip this in the bud.  

On 10/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, tennisgurl said:

She just wants someone to listen to her talk about her day and validate her feelings, which is ironically what George has wanted too.

Which in turn led her to feeling very amorous.  I've heard women say that the sexiest thing their man could do would be to empty or load the dishwasher!  Note to husbands:  A little housework goes a long way with your wife!    ;)  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I thought the "Sheldonocracy" twist was dumb, but then again, we've seen instances when Sheldon doesn't understand something, and he becomes an obnoxious little kid about it.   Hopefully Prof. Sturgis will nip this in the bud. 

I haven't read spoilers, and don't recall the specifics of Sheldon's academic pedigree from TBBT, but perhaps Sheldon's meltdown over his Ethics assignment leads to some change in where he will be attending college? 
Otherwise, I cannot imagine why that bit was included.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, BitterApple said:

I thought they were setting the stage for it when Dale commented on why Mary is suddenly attracted to George. I can't remember the exact wording, but the scene ended with George looking befuddled. 

Dale suggested that Mary was going through menopause.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

I thought the end with Sheldon taking over was going to be a dream sequence. I know people coddle Sheldon but Sturgis has shown himself able to stand up to him.

Me, too. I would have preferred that. I wonder if Sturgis will give this assignment the grade it deserves.

Star Trek is full of examples of ethical dilemmas. Sheldon could have examined any of those.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1