Type keyword(s) to search

Be My Guest: Ina Interviews The Stars

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, buttersister said:

There was chatting, cooking (ha, can't recall what) and a ride into Sag Harbor to an antique store.

There was time for the ride into Sag Harbor? How long was the show? When Tucci was on, they talked a little, Stanley made martinis and cooked a seafood stew. 30 minutes is all we got, although the description said Ina also drove him to the beach and some cafe for more "gossip". 

13 hours ago, buttersister said:

When you set an episode to record (on my guide), there's the option to record the series. Not on yours?

There normally is. My issue is that when you do a search for the show, it doesn't come up. When I used the "guide" feature, I scrolled down to the channel the show airs on. Then I scrolled all the way through to next Sunday, 11:30 am. Saw the show listed and selected "record", which it allowed me to do. However, there was no "record whole series" option, like there usually is. 

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There was time for the ride into Sag Harbor? How long was the show? When Tucci was on, they talked a little, Stanley made martinis and cooked a seafood stew. 30 minutes is all we got, although the description said Ina also drove him to the beach and some cafe for more "gossip". 

As I recall, show on basically as background noise, the trip to Sag Harbor was referred to in the closing credits, showing them driving off. Show was 1/2 hour.

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

They showed them in an antique store that Ina loves. Ina picked up a wine glass and mentioned she liked to use different wine glasses at a table setting. It was more than background.

No, I meant I had the show on as background so wasn't paying 100% attention. I obviously missed the antique shop part... sorry.

That episode with Norah Jones was so uncomfortable, for reasons I can only guess at. I was going to come here after the previous episode to say I wish they would go back to being an hour long, but this one I'd've been fine with at five minutes. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I hope that whatever made her seem so miserable is fleeting.

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

That episode with Norah Jones was so uncomfortable, for reasons I can only guess at. I was going to come here after the previous episode to say I wish they would go back to being an hour long, but this one I'd've been fine with at five minutes. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I hope that whatever made her seem so miserable is fleeting.

Who was miserable--Ina or her guest? Is Norah Jones the daughter of Quincy Jones & Peggy Lipton?  

12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who was miserable--Ina or her guest? Is Norah Jones the daughter of Quincy Jones & Peggy Lipton?  

Nora'a mother is (/was?) Sue Jones a concert producer, her father was Ravi Shankar an Indian musician.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ina was her usual giggling self. Norah really seemed as if she didn't want to be there. IMHO, of course, I could be wrong.

Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton had two daughters, Rashida (of Parks and Rec) and Kidada. Peggy Lipton went to my high school, for what that's worth.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just watched this episode and didn't see Norah being miserable or uncomfortable.  She's certainly quiet/reserved and I agree this wasn't the most riveting 30 minutes Ina has ever spent with a guest.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I never made it through an entire episode of this show when it started, and quickly gave up on it altogether, but I finally figured I'd give it another try with the Stanley Tucci episode.  Because, well, Stanley Tucci; he is one of the most effortlessly cool people in the world, and I've never seen him give a bad performance.  (I also like that, while his second wife is practically young enough to be his daughter, it's not the typical story of a man achieving success in Hollywood and ditching his first wife to trade her in for a younger model; he was a widower, and still speaks openly of his grief over her death.)

They had a more natural conversation than she often does, so it was enjoyable.  Him telling her she does what Julia Child did, make us feel like we can do what you do, was truly lovely.  I liked them bonding over being nervous cooks.

I'm still tripping on her having gone her entire life without a martini (and note she didn't seem to ever take another sip of it; his was almost gone by the end of the interview segment, but hers was full) , but I love oysters Rockefeller (I love oysters unadulterated, too, but I occasionally like a good Rockefeller) and that's indeed a good pairing; a friend and I like to start our night at a local steakhouse kicking it old school with martinis, shrimp cocktail, and oysters Rockefeller.  Interesting shortcut, using frozen creamed spinach.

His dish looked good; not my favorite meal (I'm so-so on tomato-based sauces), so nothing I'd ever make, but something I'd enjoy if served to me.  It was fun to watch them together, with him instructing her.

I still somewhat resent this show as a distraction from making new episodes of the regular show, but it can work with a great guest.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:53 PM, Gramto6 said:

That's what is missing!! The trips into town to eat/shop. Someone mentioned they thought the show used to be an hour and I think they were right. The missing trips helped cut it down to 1/2 hour instead sadly.

This is in response to a post about the Stanley Tucci episode.  At the end of that one, they went to the beach and had an iced coffee on a bench while she asked him "What's your favorite ..." type questions.  I watched on Discovery+, and it was a little over 40 minutes, which would be an hour-long show on FN.  Was the FN airing only half an hour?  If so, it's a condensed version.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Re: Stanley Tucci? Yes, the show was only a half hour on FN. They barely allowed him to finish cooking, with the two cooks tasting his seafood dish, before the show stopped. FN really has changed for the worse.

Maybe a sly way to get more subscribers for Discovery+?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

My recollection is that the first season on FN was only 30 minutes -- the cooking segments.  The second season -- much to my delight and surprise -- was the full hour.  This third season, back to 30 minutes.  Only those in corner offices at FN know why.

1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

My recollection is that the first season on FN was only 30 minutes -- the cooking segments.  The second season -- much to my delight and surprise -- was the full hour.  This third season, back to 30 minutes.  Only those in corner offices at FN know why.

Hmmm...the first guest was Faith Hill & her daughter, and I thought that episode went on forever. They had time for Faith to talk about being adopted, to make her husband's favorite (Coca-cola) cake, and then went into town and had tea or something, sitting outside a cafe. I think that was an hour. 

Hmmm...the first guest was Faith Hill & her daughter, and I thought that episode went on forever. They had time for Faith to talk about being adopted, to make her husband's favorite (Coca-cola) cake, and then went into town and had tea or something, sitting outside a cafe. I think that was an hour. 

I think Faith was the first guest in season 2 and that's the one I'm remembering FN showed in its entirety.  I won't pay extra for Discovery+ (or any of the +s for that matter) so it had to have been on FN.  And, yes, it did seem like it went on forever and included a lot with her daughter.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

I think Faith was the first guest in season 2 and that's the one I'm remembering FN showed in its entirety.  I won't pay extra for Discovery+ (or any of the +s for that matter) so it had to have been on FN.  And, yes, it did seem like it went on forever and included a lot with her daughter.

Yes!! How could I forget about Season 1 with all the OTT worshipping going on, back & forth between Ina & her guests? I think the only episode that was normal was when Willie Geist was the guest. He's very low key, which helped tremendously.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

to make her husband's favorite (Coca-cola) cake

I watched that episode last night while trying to fall asleep, and just watching that cake be made nearly sent me into a hyperglycemic coma!  I cannot fathom eating something that sweet; it sounded awful.

Also, I've never seen someone look so different with just a change in hair color, because if I didn't know that was Faith Hill, it would have taken me most of the episode to recognize her as a brunette.

• Useful 1

I vaguely remember reading that Ina was filming the next season of Be My Guest.  Does anybody know when it will appear on FN?  Although I've enjoyed some of the shows -- Stanley Tucci and Nathan Lane especially -- I so wish she'd go back to just cooking.

• Love 3

Geez...I miss those calm, fun, interesting days of the BC show. Recently, I've begun to wonder about her pals (I can't even remember their names now). The florist; the male model who worked for her as a teenager; the guy who was her editor, and his partner; the friends she made dinner for & delivered the meal to their homes, etc. Instead, DD&D is now 99% of Food Network, so no time to run the old BC shows. It's the Guy Fieri Network now.

• Like 2

Geez...I miss those calm, fun, interesting days of the BC show. Recently, I've begun to wonder about her pals (I can't even remember their names now). The florist; the male model who worked for her as a teenager; the guy who was her editor, and his partner; the friends she made dinner for & delivered the meal to their homes, etc. Instead, DD&D is now 99% of Food Network, so no time to run the old BC shows. It's the Guy Fieri Network now.

I was so fond of that early crew of her friends who we all came to “know” — I’m going to try and remember names…. Michael, the florist?  I follow Michael on Instagram and he still does incredible floral and green things for all seasons.  TR, the super handsome model who Ina loved to flirt with.  Editor — the charming Frank.  Friends — Bobby and her husband whose name I can’t remember, Lidey (I just pre-ordered Lidey’s very first cookbook coming out soon!!) in her apartment and now she’s married; the dean of the Yale architecture school and her husband (name, can’t remember, but I can picture her); and the wonderful Miguel who photographed for Ina and set up some of her parties.  Who was the bride-to-be that Ina made desserts to choose from?  That was the first time I’d ever heard of the floating island.  And Ina’s sweet friend, the late Anna Pump, from Loaves & Fishes.  The two darling young ladies who started Amber Waves.  The little chicken shop where Ina would get eggs.  These are the ones who have stayed so visually clear in my memory of the early years of Barefood Contessa.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

What's the title of Lidey's cookbook? Wasn't that couple's name the Liebermans?  Ile Flotante. Yes..Ina's show introduced me to this fabulous dessert as well. When she set a table, it always looked so elegant, yet calm & inviting. I'd never before (or since) been so hooked on a cooking show.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's the title of Lidey's cookbook? Wasn't that couple's name the Liebermans?  Ile Flotante. Yes..Ina's show introduced me to this fabulous dessert as well. When she set a table, it always looked so elegant, yet calm & inviting. I'd never before (or since) been so hooked on a cooking show.

Yes — The Liebermans!  Lidey’s book is called “Cooking in Real Life” by Lidey Heuck.  Will ship in March.  Totally agree about elegant and calm and Ina made you think “I could maybe do that too” because she rarely did super “out of reach” either in cooking or setting up a party or meal.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Those were the days! 

Ina posted the table she set for NYE in Paris on IG. That's what I'd be doing. I don't know if Jeffrey's cut back on his Yale time, but it seems as though any projects that took up a great deal of her time are on the back burner at the moment. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 3
(edited)

Every time I see "Pretend Cooking Show" I almost giggle. It's so precious and takes me straight back to my childhood days of pretend this and that 🤗.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Every time I see "Pretend Cooking Show" I almost giggle. It's so precious and takes me straight back to my childhood days of pretend this and that 🤗.

I love when she does those! So much fun.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2024 at 11:14 AM, tvchick said:

The fourth season of Be My Guest starts April 21

I hope there are guests, like Stanley Tucci, who can carry an episode, because Ina sure can't. 

Bleh.  I want more of the regular shows, not this thing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I prefer the regular cooking shows from Ina too. Not interested in getting to know "the Stars". 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Couldn't agree more. I have no interest in watching Ina and her celebrity fans giving each other tongue baths for half an hour.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm not keen on this newer format. But I'm just glad to have Ina back on TV.

This is exactly how I feel!

• Like 2
On 4/28/2024 at 9:47 AM, chessiegal said:

New episode today Sunday April 28 noon ET with astronaut Nicole Mann.

I loved this episode!  Ina was clearly amazed when Nicole talked about life on the Space Station and Nicole was so natural.  

• Like 4

I enjoyed the episode too! I found it interesting to hear about Nicole's journey to becoming an astronaut. I also chuckled that I can do something Nicole said she had problems with - searing scallops. 😄

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Darn! I missed it. Hope they run a rerun at some point. I have to pay better attention to my listings!

@Gramto6, there is another new episode Sunday at noon.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

@Gramto6, there is another new episode Sunday at noon.

Repeats may be listed on the FN site, so anybody who missed an episode might want to check there.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t watched many of these, but caught David Remnick this weekend. Two thoughts.

As an editor (and e-I-c), his calling out Ina for measuring everything was odd-ish. Precision is the point. To them both. She self-admittedly, ensures the measurements are perfectly to her taste. And I love how it differentiates her from cheffy types who toss ingredients together and adjust, adjust, adjust.

And Remnick, sometimes I like him and sometimes he’s a bit insufferable, n’est-ce pas? LOL. The chicken parm/schnitzel looked tasty. Loved how Ina poo-poo’d the popular, one hand messy/one hand clean trend. Get in there and then wash your hands!

• Like 1
(edited)

I wasn’t familiar with David Remnick but really enjoyed him.  He’s super self-deprecating and ribbed his wife a bit.  He’s so accomplished and it seems like his probably habitual way of being unstuffy.  It was good to see Jeffrey!  I was pleased to hear Ina saying she uses both hands when breading the chicken — I’d always heard use just one hand, but it sure makes more sense to use both.  It’s just a messy process, no matter what, so get both hands in there.  I’ve really, really enjoyed this Be My Guest series because, except for Jennifer Garner, none were Hollywood folks — just super interesting, hard-working, very bright individuals.  Loved the series and will re-watch.  Wish there were more than just these few episodes.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2

I've been making that chicken parmesan for decades. The wife of former colleague made it for me many moons ago. I don't measure like Ina did, but I appreciate that when you are making a recipe for a cookbook, you need to be sure it's reproducible. It's simple and delicious. My Whole Foods carries it prepared in their meat department so all you need to do is cook it. I almost bought some last week.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

A new six episode season of BE MY GUEST premieres Sunday, September 29th at 12PM ET/PT.

The season kicks off with a get-together with chef, restaurateur and fellow Food Network star Bobby Flay, followed by visits from award-winning actor, comedian, writer and producer Julia Louis-Dreyfus; talk show host, comedian, writer and producer Stephen Colbert and his wife, producer Evie McGee-Colbert; award-winning actor and producer Wendell Pierce; bestselling novelist Ann Patchett; and chef and world-class restaurateur Eric Ripert.

• Like 2