Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Muppets Night

• Start Topic

I guess they were really limited in how much they could pay for each muppet. Kermit got to (somewhat) sing at the start, but never said a word until the Battle Royale. I don't think they even mentioned how Kermit had been on TMS before, which was disappointing. 

I would've expected the songs to have more of a muppet theme, so that was another slight disappointment. 

The Beetle's clues were quite obvious and Jerry was the obvious fodder to set up the battle royale. 

The Sheep vs Robot Girl was quite a challenge. IMO Robot Girl sounded a bit more muffled than usual, especially in the Royale. 

I suspect the Sheep will make it to the finale in this group. 

• Love 1

Man, I love me some Muppets. I want Muppets to follow me around everywhere, popping up randomly and singing "m'nah m'nah, puh too puh toopy." 

That said, I had no idea Kat Graham could sing. 

I too would have liked Muppet songs, especially from Muppet Christmas Carol. But I'll take whatever Muppets I can get. Can Miss Piggy replace Jenny please?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Loved hearing "The Rainbow Connection" to open the show but would have loved it better if it was only Kermit, Nicole and Robin.  Didn't need to hear Ken or Nick.  Good for Jenny for trying to sing though, she can't sing but gave her best attempt and was helped by Nicole backing her up.

Would have loved Muppet songs as well.  Would have loved loved loved hearing the Lambs sing one of my favourites, "Movin Right Along".

Jenny's chryon when she first spoke said "Also Made of Plastic".  Haha, loved her poking fun at herself.  But the Muppets aren't made of plastic, are they?  I thought they were mostly cloth.  

Also loved Jenny saying "Can't we just get rid of Ken?".  Wouldn't mind having Miss Piggy as a permanent Ken replacement. 

Didn't need to hear or see Jerry Springer.  They acted like he is a big "get" for the show and here I was thinking "I could have sworn he was cannon fodder on one of the earlier seasons".

Kat Graham as Robo Girl should be proud of herself, she had a good showing.  I think the panel voted for the Lambs because of the harmonies, but I actually didn't think any of the lambs on their own seemed like particularly powerful singers.  If this was a girl group, at least one of them would be the lead and would really have belted out the lyrics, but she didn't.

• Love 4

Agreed that I would've liked to have heard more actual Muppet songs, but at least we got to see some lesser-known Muppets like Uncle Deadly and Crazy Harry. I'm still having a hard time adjusting to Kermit's new voice. I had like 30 years to get adjusted to Steve Whitmire doing it, but I didn't expect we were going to get a third Kermit voice in my lifetime. 

The idea of the Lambs being HAIM is a funny one, but I think it's Wilson Phillips. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

The idea of the Lambs being HAIM is a funny one, but I think it's Wilson Phillips. 

Oh wow, I didn't even think of them.  I was a HUGE Wilson Phillips fan back in the day, and was so sad when they disbanded in the early 90s.  Now I am embarrassed about what I wrote above about how they seem to be a girl group but none of them are powerful singers.  Sorry ladies!  It was always about the harmonies that made them special.

I went back and listened again, and I think you might be right.  I listened more closely to the voices.  Chynna was always the lead singer so it would be natural she would go first and be the lead.  I do think the first Lamb has her tone.  The second Lamb is Carnie with the deeper tone, and the third Lamb sounds exactly like Wendy with her sweet dulcet voice.

The clues fit too.  The written clue when they walked out was "Can't Let Go", which seems an obvious reference to their smash signature hit, "Hold On".  Three besties growing up in Beverly Hills.  Famous jeans (genes) from their famous parents.  Venice, which I take as a reference to Venice Beach, which leads to the Beach Boys.  They graced Billboards, the Billboard Hot 100.  I think the diamond ring references their appearance in "Bridesmaids" where they sang "Hold On".  And the blue lamb (Chynna) takes the golf swing at the end, she was in "Caddyshack 2".

Edited by blackwing
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I went back and listened again, and I think you might be right.  I listened more closely to the voices.  Chynna was always the lead singer so it would be natural she would go first and be the lead.  I do think the first Lamb has her tone.  The second Lamb is Carnie with the deeper tone, and the third Lamb sounds exactly like Wendy with her sweet dulcet voice.

I did too and noticed the same recognizing Carnie's the voice for the 2nd singer.

Oh yay! I came here to see if anyone else was thinking Wilson Phillips, and blackwing you make a great case. I really hope it is them, because I’m a 90s girl and had their main album (on tape, yikes), and because it is so incredibly rare for me to guess one of the singers on my own. WP for the win!

• Like 1
On 10/27/2022 at 7:42 AM, blackwing said:

Jenny's chryon when she first spoke said "Also Made of Plastic".  Haha, loved her poking fun at herself.  But the Muppets aren't made of plastic, are they?  I thought they were mostly cloth.  

I'd say they're mostly foam. A lot of the mechanisms in the internals are plastic. Fabric is just the outside. I'd say the joke was worth it.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, LakeGal said:

I guessed Wilson Phillips when they were singing.  Carnie seems to show up on all the celeb reality shows.  

Carnie did do a lot of them. She also had her own talk show, reality show plus Wilson Phillips had a reality show as well.

The Muppets can do no wrong in my book, so I loved this show's theme.  If anyone in a room starts singing Mah Na Mah Na (which I find typically happens when someone has ended a sentence with the word phenomenon), everyone joins in.

This season has the best format of any season for multiple reasons:

• Theme nights - the panel's outfits, the guests, and the music fit the theme
  • Better clues - with most celebrities being of the one-and-done variety, the clue packages are more decipherable
  • VIP section - the guests and unmasked celebrities are clearly having a great time
  • Sing out songs - the unmasked celebrities do not generally sing what got them booted, but rather sing an appropriate classic.
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3