Type keyword(s) to search

The Future of The Daily Show after Trevor

• Start Topic

I wonder if some of the guests were offered and turned down hosting. I didn't think that most would have (like Chelsea, Sarah, Charlamange, Leslie) because they've already got active careers. I thought Kal Penn would have been a good fit though. 

The show has to be on for 2024 in some form being an election year. 

On 1/20/2024 at 2:36 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought Kal Penn would have been a good fit though. 

The show has to be on for 2024 in some form being an election year. 

I've been rooting for Kal Penn. Maybe there's negotiations going on that people are not aware of and hasn't yet leaked to the entertainment press/regular media. 

I'm okay with correspondents hosting the show through the election. I still want to see Dulce Sloan get a full week solo behind the desk though. 

• Like 1

I recall that when they hired Trevor, there was some reporting that he wasn't their first choice, and in fact it took a long time to get them to hire him. I wonder if they are having trouble getting whoever it is they want now, and we may wind up with someone we don't even know is in contention at the moment.

So he's only hosting on Mondays, plus he's serving as exec producer. I take this to mean they couldn't get it together to recruit anyone who would take the gig, and they need him to convince someone else to take over. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Ah, somebody beat me to posting the latest news...but yay!

ETA: If they can lure Jon back (I know, he was already Executive Producer...but still....), can they lure Roy Wood Jr. back to take over the rest of the week? Pretty please? No more rotating hosts, PLEEEZE.

Edited by Barbarblacksheep
Too much excitement + fat fingers = typos
  • Like 3
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Finally, some good fucking news!!

All the comments in the WaPo article have them squeeing like teens! 😅 With maybe one or two (out of 135 at last count) as being contrarian. A LOT of people where I'm reading about this are thrilled.

I hope Jon's thread will reopen when he returns because it's not really with Trevor Noah any longer. Or a new one without a host's name, maybe?

• Like 4

I stopped being able to find the show in Canada in the fall so I lost track of the hosts but did Dulce ever get a chance to finish her week? I was really impressed with her.

10 hours ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

ETA: If they can lure Jon back (I know, he was already Executive Producer...but still....), can they lure Roy Wood Jr. back to take over the rest of the week? Pretty please? No more rotating hosts, PLEEEZE.

Roy Wood Jr. and Jordan Klepper co-hosting would be my dream team for the non-Jon shows. Regardless, I hope they continue have Jordan do his excellent field work. Out of the guest hosts, I liked Kai Penn the most. 

I'm giddy about Jon returning!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

can they lure Roy Wood Jr. back to take over the rest of the week?

When it was announced he wasn't coming back as a correspondent, I was really bummed, as he was my favorite of the existing line-up (and one of my favorites of all time), but didn't realize how very much until I found myself only sporadically watching, because of his absence, once this resumed production after the strike. 

I'd love to finally see a woman hosting, but Roy behind the desk would thrill me just as much thanks to seeing during his guest host stint that he was every bit as good behind the desk as he'd long been as a correspondent (out of all of them, he came in second only to the national treasure that is Wanda Sykes, and there's no indication she was looking to land the job, just to enjoy the hell out of her week -- of those auditioning, he nailed it). 

• Like 2
(edited)

I guess I'm a bit contrarian.  I used to love Jon but by the time he did the Rally to Restore sanity, I felt like he was fighting the wars of a different era and had lost relevancy. 

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did they not make an offer to the guests or just couldn't get anyone to take an offer?

I believe Hasan Minhaj was their plan even though they were doing the guest hosting bits.  They probably didn't have a Plan B and this is their attempt to make sure the show stays relevant.

Edited by Irlandesa
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did they not make an offer to the guests or just couldn't get anyone to take an offer?

I have no inside information, but it's possible offers were made and negotiations fells apart/never went anywhere. 

4 hours ago, marina to said:

I stopped being able to find the show in Canada in the fall so I lost track of the hosts but did Dulce ever get a chance to finish her week? I was really impressed with her.

Dulce's week was cut short. She hosted on Monday and the writers' strike started Tuesday/the next day. 

2 hours ago, Superb Owl said:

Out of the guest hosts, I liked Kai Penn the most. 

Me too. I was rooting for Kal Penn to take over, because he seemed like the only one asked back for a second week that didn't already have a full schedule with stand-up comedy tours or other engagements/long-term projects.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess I'm a bit contrarian.  I used to love John but by the time he did the Rally to Restore sanity, I felt like he was fighting the wars of a different times and had lost relevancy. 

Inae Oh, who does the Mother Jones newsletter, posted something similar, and I definitely take some of her points.  I would not want to see TDS handed back to him on a full-time basis, but I am looking forward to seeing what he does in this role.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I believe Hasan Minhaj was their plan

Which would have sounded good to me, until I saw his guest hosting week, in which he was terribly uneven.

47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I am looking forward to seeing what he does in this role.

I should be clear that I haven't really seen what he has done on his Apple+ show.  The only times I've seen him since he left was during a brief appearance on Sam Bee's show and a weird segment about COVID on Colbert's show.

48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Which would have sounded good to me, until I saw his guest hosting week, in which he was terribly uneven.

I was disappointed because of what had come out about the behind-the-scenes atmosphere at his show.  This came out before the 'making stuff up' essentially torpedoed his bid.  That brings up one of Stewart's other weaknesses.  He's admitted diversity was an issue during his first run so hopefully, he'll improve upon that with this run.

19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

All the comments in the WaPo article have them squeeing like teens! 😅 With maybe one or two (out of 135 at last count) as being contrarian. A LOT of people where I'm reading about this are thrilled.

I noticed the same thing. Usually articles about The Daily Show, SNL or Last Week Tonight mostly garner comments like "Who cares? I never watch the show." I've checked comments on a few other articles (CNN, NBC) and also saw mostly positive comments.

(edited)

Seeing unhappy people now hating Jon's return in Twitter say he popularized the "both sides are the same" mentality that has ruined politics now and I'm like did they even watch TDS when Jon hosted? There was never an episode where the majority of Republicans was not shown to be almost cartoonishly evil in both motive and executing their agenda. They were clearly the worst of the 2 parties. If holding Democrats accountable for not living up to their voters standards and wanting them to be better is "whataboutism" then I'm on Jon's side.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I was rooting for Kal Penn to take over, because he seemed like the only one asked back for a second week that didn't already have a full schedule with stand-up comedy tours or other engagements/long-term projects.

That's what I was thinking. It's not that the other hosts weren't capable, but it's a certain kind of show and he seemed the best fit of that model. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Seeing unhappy people now hating Jon's return in Twitter say he popularized the "both sides are the same" mentality that has ruined politics now and I'm like did they even watch TDS when Jon hosted? There was never an episode where the majority of Republicans was not shown to be almost cartoonishly evil in both motive and executing their agenda. They were clearly the worst of the 2 parties. If holding Democrats accountable for not living up to their voters standards and wanting them to be better is "whataboutism" then I'm on Jon's side.

I think that impression came from the "Rally for Sanity" where he did that whole bit about civility and not demonizing the opposition, cars merging onto the highway politely, with everyone taking turns.

I think a lot of people saw that who didn't necessarily watch TDS on a regular basis, and it left them thinking he couldn't tell the difference between rank corruption or divorce from reality ("alternative facts") and a legit shading of different opinions between honest points of view.

I know one person for sure who watched that rally on TV and was horrified by that bit, someone who didn't watch tv on a regular basis but heard about the rally and watched the livestream on her computer, and was thoroughly turned off to him because of it. Meanwhile, if I told her anything I saw on TDS, she always thought it was good.

I don't know what to expect from Jon this time around. I thought he was getting one note and boring by the time he left the show. But I attributed that to burnout, not an inherent inability to be funny or insightful. So, I'm open-minded here. I assume he's had a refresh during his time away.

I haven't seen the "Problem with Jon Stewart" show so I don't know anything about that. But from what I gather, it was more like Jon Oliver's Last Week Tonight, in that he did long form reporting instead of quick bits. I figure that requires at least some interest in going deep vs just being glib or taking the easiest joke.

But if he came back to TDS because they begged him and gave him so much money he couldn't resist, or if he came back because of something like an overwhelming sense of obligation, I think that is a different likely outcome than if he came back because he's got thoughts he wants to share and an agenda beyond just finding a replacement and getting the hell out of there ASAP.

He's enough of a professional that I'm sure he'll do a decent job. I just don't have a sense of what that will look like at this point in time. I think a lot of people are nostalgic for his time at TDS, but people who stopped watching and never took to Trevor are probably more like groupies than news/humor junkies, so they may be easy to please with Jon and hard to please with whoever he finds to take over after he leaves.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

"The Problem with Jon Stewart" was definitely not a quick bit/easy joke type of setup. I encourage anyone who hasn't watched it to take about 10 minutes of their time and look at some of the interviews he's done on that show, (available on YouTube) covering everything from gun rights (vs a senator who wants *less* gun restrictions) to gender-affirming care (vs the atty general of Arkansas), to the economy, racism, taxes, the media, etc. He is absolutely SCATHING during his interviews, yet remains totally professional and polite. He has not lost his edge at all. Heck, look at him in front of Congress regarding 9/11 first responder recognition. 

I can't speak for him personally, of course, but I think the one-day-a-week format might be tailor made for him. (I get the impression that Trevor also got burned out with the daily grind). I think the odds are that he probably has enough money to live quite comfortably the rest of his life, and in turn to make sure his family and children are taken care of.

Speaking of Trevor, yes, it did take me a little while to warm up to him, because he definitely had big shoes to fill and really, it's hard to compare him with Jon but I was unfairly doing so. Once he grew on me, I liked him quite a lot. He was funny of course, but also smart and extremely diplomatic. I loved his interviews because you could tell he took time to research his subject. Then after he left, I truly missed him and couldn't warm up to most of the guest hosts, LOL. 

Edited by Barbarblacksheep
clarity
  • Like 8