Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Spring Awakening

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Peter Thomas is Cynthia Bailey’s ex husband (RHOA). He is a grift and loves to be on camera.

Thanks for that! Atlanta is one of the few franchises I haven't watched (I would but they've never shown it on TV here and it's not available on the streaming service where I watch all of my Howives shows 😒) so it figures I wouldn't know him.

Kinda weird that Wendy doesn't know to stay away from his schemes.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Glama said:

Kinda weird that Wendy doesn't know to stay away from his schemes.

I doubt that Wendy will open a bar with Peter, she needs a story line and this way she can tell the other HW's about her plans with Peter and they can all warn her all season long about how she should not open a bar and especially not with Peter. The crazy thing though was a couple of years ago there was rumored to be a Nigerian bar/restaurant opening in my area, the pandemic started and that was the end of those rumors, could it have been Wendy and Peter's place? It makes sense because Wendy lives about 15 minutes from me and the location is really good, I wonder, hmmm.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I doubt that Wendy will open a bar with Peter, she needs a story line and this way she can tell the other HW's about her plans with Peter and they can all warn her all season long about how she should not open a bar and especially not with Peter. The crazy thing though was a couple of years ago there was rumored to be a Nigerian bar/restaurant opening in my area, the pandemic started and that was the end of those rumors, could it have been Wendy and Peter's place? It makes sense because Wendy lives about 15 minutes from me and the location is really good, I wonder, hmmm.

Oh wow, you live so close to Wendy! I have yo say I had not any clue to where Potomac is, I'd never even heard of it before I binged the earlier seasons last year. It would've been so cool if they'd opened the bar and you could check the place out for us! 😎

You must be right about it being a storyline. I don't see her being THAT stupid. 

(And I have to say, The Wire is one of the best shows ever ❤️)

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Glama said:

Oh wow, you live so close to Wendy! I have yo say I had not any clue to where Potomac is, I'd never even heard of it before I binged the earlier seasons last year. It would've been so cool if they'd opened the bar and you could check the place out for us! 😎

You must be right about it being a storyline. I don't see her being THAT stupid. 

(And I have to say, The Wire is one of the best shows ever ❤️)

She lives far from Potomac, she lives in Eldersburg MD, that is why the HW's that went to her house for dinner all commented about the long drive to get to her house.  Potomac was/is a very wealthy zip code, then they increased the size by taking half of Gaithersburg and calling it North Potomac, all outside the Capitol Beltway and about an hour from downtown DC.

If Wendy builds a restaurant I would take one for the team and visit said restaurant but I am not bothering with Bar One in Baltimore city, not that curious.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

A week late but this was a pretty solid premiere. It set up a few conflicts immediately and didn't drag out somethings for 10 episodes like they do with the Beverly Hills franchise for example. We got the green eyed bandits coming for Mia right off the bat, Ashley's possibly fake divorce/separation from Michael and Charisse back. 

I have to say one of my favorite moments from the episode was Karen and Gizelle discussing the Ashley and Michael split and Karen saying how she wanted to ask Ashley how she and Michael got there, and Gizelle goes, "Karen, it's Michael Darby...we KNOW how they got there." 

And yeah, seriously, no one should ever wonder why Ashley and Michael of all people would split up. This was hardly some seemingly perfectly happy and in love pairing where a split would be shocking. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
On 10/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, amarante said:

I never quite understood how Candiace's mother was so wealthy - I mean she is a psychologist and that is a decent living but I never understood the "wealth". Of course she did pay what theoretically was about $250,000 for that wedding extravaganza. 

I've seen some incorrect statements about Candiace's parents online. Her mother is an LCSW affiliated with an Atlanta practice. Candiace's father was/is a military man who is either a psychologist or MD. Military folks don't make a lot of money, regardless of job title and rank. Candiace's parents are solid middle-class.

Early on Candiace fronted that she is a trust fund baby, but several of us speculated that she was referring to the routine kind of trusts that many families create for long-term planning and security, such as revocable trusts.

I think much of Candiace's wedding was comped by production.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I've seen some incorrect statements about Candiace's parents online. Her mother is an LCSW affiliated with an Atlanta practice. Candiace's father was/is a military man who is either a psychologist or MD. Military folks don't make a lot of money, regardless of job title and rank. Candiace's parents are solid middle-class.

Early on Candiace fronted that she is a trust fund baby, but several of us speculated that she was referring to the routine kind of trusts that many families create for long-term planning and security, such as revocable trusts.

I might be wrong but I do think Candiace’s father is a physician but no longer in he military and her mom is not a PhD psychologist, but has a masters in social work so is a legitimate counselor but not at the hourly rate of a psychologist. 
I think her mom made money in creating a counseling company and aye made good real estate investments over the years.

Perhaps there is inherited money of one or both sides which might explain the trust fund?

I have no clue but I have had some wine…

• Love 2
22 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Both of Candiace's parents were in the Air Force,  she talks about it all of the time on her lives and her podcast.  Her father and step-father are both MDs. Whether she's a LCSW or PHD, Dorothy is still a therapist.  Both parents are getting retirement income from the military along with their work income. Her parents have a vacation house in the USVI ,so they're probably getting rental income.  Candiace and her mom co-own Chateau Salon Suites in Georgia and are planning on opening other locations in Georgia and DC, so that's another stream of income since the braiders , stylists and other people working there have to rent suites from them. Candiace doesn't speak about it on the show, but Dorothy taught her how to invest in real estate by buying, flipping and selling houses, which is where most of Dorothy's money comes from. 

Edited by spunky
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, amarante said:

Well that was my point. While they have nice professional incomes, these are not people who have millions in assets. They are just standard professionals who are at best upper middle class. They can afford to give their kids a great head start but they aren’t funding multi million dollar trust funds. 

We don't know how much Robyn or Candiace's family have in assets.  They very well may have millions in assets.  They may have real estate investments or stocks.  They had enough to pay for each of them to go to private schools and (at least in Robyn's case) had enough to outright pay Robyn's college tuition ---I'm guessing Candiace's parents probably did the same. We know Candiace's mother invests in real estate ---the townhouse was an investment and if Candiace and her mom own a beauty salon, they will never go broke.  I think Robyn's mother is a professor and also owns several businesses.

A lot of black families with money do not live in big baller houses. They may live in the split level next door and drive an older model Lexus at best.  You'll never know how much money these people may have because they won't flaunt it ---they can't, it's too dangerous to do so.

While they may not have multi million dollar trust funds, neither do most Americans and Robyn & Candiace's parents have set them up nicely to be ahead of the game.  I'm pretty sure Gizelle, Ashley, Monique and Mia wish their moms could do for them what Candiace's and Robyn's moms do for them.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, Glama said:

Wendy's ideas about the bar sounded so stupid. And why add another thing to her already busy life? 

The children part was stupid but the bar/bookstore concept is already in the Baltimore/DC areas.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, drivethroo said:

We don't know how much Robyn or Candiace's family have in assets.  They very well may have millions in assets.  They may have real estate investments or stocks.  They had enough to pay for each of them to go to private schools and (at least in Robyn's case) had enough to outright pay Robyn's college tuition ---I'm guessing Candiace's parents probably did the same. We know Candiace's mother invests in real estate ---the townhouse was an investment and if Candiace and her mom own a beauty salon, they will never go broke.  I think Robyn's mother is a professor and also owns several businesses.

A lot of black families with money do not live in big baller houses. They may live in the split level next door and drive an older model Lexus at best.  You'll never know how much money these people may have because they won't flaunt it ---they can't, it's too dangerous to do so.

While they may not have multi million dollar trust funds, neither do most Americans and Robyn & Candiace's parents have set them up nicely to be ahead of the game.  I'm pretty sure Gizelle, Ashley, Monique and Mia wish their moms could do for them what Candiace's and Robyn's moms do for them.

The children part was stupid but the bar/bookstore concept is already in the Baltimore/DC areas.

I don't think we are disagreeing since I stated that I thought both of their families were probably upper middle class/professional level. With that kind of income most families of whatever background do have enough to pay for their kids education; private school and help with down payments plus generally have Intervivos Trusts set up.

However there is nothing in the background of these families to lead me to believe that they have a huge quantity of wealth - like $100 million or so. I have a friend with this kind of wealth and it is on a completely different level than my friends who are upper middle class professionals and have nice assets of stock or real estate. The adult kids of the wealthy have their own enormous trust funds and don't have to work to support a luxurious lifestyle. The kids from upper middle class professional families have a great head start in life - have a cushion that would prevent them from falling through the cracks but still have to work. Robyn (for example) might not have had to live out of a car when they lost their wealth but I also didn't get the sense that her parents bought her a million dollar home and were providing her with a huge income so that she could continue to live the high life.

I am not sure what ethnicity has to do with anything either - there are many people of all ethnicities who have several million dollar in assets but are the proverbial millionaires next door who are driving Honda Accords and living in a middle class homes.

• Love 3