Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: Robbie Williams, Jamie Lee Curtis, David Tennant, Lydia West

• Start Topic

Am I the only one who found Jamie Lee Curtis obnoxious?  Good on Graham for mocking those ridiculous trousers.  It seemed pretty obvious that she didn't know what Eric Idle was referring to when he mentioned "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

Edited by Leeds
Eric Idle not Michael Palin. Thanks Sugarbaker.
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one who found Jamie Lee Curtis obnoxious? 

I sure didn't.  JLC was engaged with the audience, Graham and the other guests.

5 hours ago, Leeds said:

It seemed pretty obvious that she didn't know what Michael Palin was referring to when he mentioned "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

It was Eric Idle.  I'll forgive her for not knowing about a song that was featured in a movie that was released in the '70s.

The couch is back!!!  I so missed Graham's special brand of irreverent reverence.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I sure didn't.  JLC was engaged with the audience, Graham and the other guests.

It was Eric Idle.  I'll forgive her for not knowing about a song that was featured in a movie that was released in the '70s.

The couch is back!!!  I so missed Graham's special brand of irreverent reverence.

I am generally a fan of Jamie Lee Curtis and her work, but perhaps my problem tonight was that for me she was too engaged.

Happy too that the couch is back, so our mileage doesn't vary on everything!

(Thanks for the correction, I kind of knew I was wrong as I was typing - fixed my post.)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one who found Jamie Lee Curtis obnoxious?  Good on Graham for mocking those ridiculous trousers.  It seemed pretty obvious that she didn't know what Eric Idle was referring to when he mentioned "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

No you are not. She is a loudmouth! Obnoxious, yes! The outfit was fugly. I despise these celebs that steamroll over everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 10/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I'll forgive her for not knowing about a song that was featured in a movie that was released in the '70s.

I'm a year older than she is and I'm certainly familiar with The Life of Brian.  It was notorious when it was released because of protests outside theaters.  That doesn't mean she saw it then, but I assume she's seen it at some point because I assume Christopher Guest and the Monty Python people aren't strangers to each other's work. 

I hate that we Americans get edited shows.  Michael David Tennant started his little segment referencing earlier chat about his father, which we didn't get to see.  I almost always FF through the musical segments so I'd be happy to swap those for more of the couch guests.  But I'm so happy to have Graham back I'll take what I can get.  When he intoned, solemnly, "This show is dedicated to Eric Idle," I was reminded just how brilliant he is.

Interesting...I just looked up Jamie Lee Curtis on Wikipedia to check her age and it says she's 63 and won't turn 64 until late November.  But unless I'm mis-remembering, she referred to herself as being 64 on the show (I remember quickly calculating, "she's a year younger than I am," like I do all the time these days, often with dead people).  So...she's a woman who goes out in public with gray hair that is cut very short and she exaggerates her age up.  You don't see that often. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2022 at 1:48 AM, Leeds said:

It seemed pretty obvious that she didn't know what Eric Idle was referring to when he mentioned "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

Did it?  I just watched it and I don't think she gave an indication either way whether or not she recognized the song.  I'd think she'd be aware of their work.  He said they knew one another.  Her husband is a British comedian/director.  She has worked with Cleese and Palin before.

I was fine with her.  She seemed to not be as present in the second half of the show.

Jamie kind of hogged the first part of the show, I thought, and I got tired of her "I'm American so I know nothing about the British." You're married to an English baron, lady. I'm pretty sure you have some knowledge of the country and its customs.

Robbie Williams looked like he hadn't slept for 24 hours, heh. He had that wild-eyed thing going on.

• Love 6
On 10/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm a year older than she is and I'm certainly familiar with The Life of Brian.  It was notorious when it was released because of protests outside theaters.  That doesn't mean she saw it then, but I assume she's seen it at some point because I assume Christopher Guest and the Monty Python people aren't strangers to each other's work. 

And judging by her behaviour on the show she believes that she and Eric Idle are besties.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

David.

Thank you.  There are people I know of only because they're on this show, and he's one of them.  I guess he looks like a Michael to me, and enough like a Michael that I didn't even look at the dang thread title, right there, to confirm the name of someone I know only because I see him on Graham Norton. 

That said, I found a book by David Walliams in a Little Free Library today and thought, "Oh, I know him...he's on Graham Norton."  (And I even know his last name is Walliams and not Williams.)  I'm not thrilled with the book cover that describes a "textbook" granny as having false teeth and used tissues tucked up her sleeve, I'll give it a shot because I like him on the show.  (But apparently not enough to actually buy his book. 😀)

On 10/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Thank you.  There are people I know of only because they're on this show, and he's one of them.  I guess he looks like a Michael to me, and enough like a Michael that I didn't even look at the dang thread title, right there, to confirm the name of someone I know only because I see him on Graham Norton. 

The funny thing is that David Tennant and Michael Sheen starred together on the show Good Omens, and have done a pandemic webseries from their homes.  Michael Tennant should reference both of them.

I have described the contestants on QI as being all the "fourth people on Graham Norton's couch" - I don't think they are all fantastically famous.

The music guests also tend to be more famous in the UK that in the US. Which is fine! I often enjoy the exposure to new (to me) artists. I don't share Graham's taste all the time, but when he gets one that works for me, they usually really work.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, Leeds said:

Nope. She was talking too much over the others, IMO, as if she wanted to make their stories about herself.

But I liked what she said about the couch. I can't believe I never noticed how uncomfortable it looks. I had to check older videos on youtube, because I thought it was different before, but it seems it's the same one. I suspect that when they were sitting on chairs due to covid, many were secretly pleased.

• Love 3
On 10/15/2022 at 10:20 PM, Ailianna said:

There are definitely people I only know from their appearances on Graham too. Some of them are apparently shockingly famous.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:13 AM, meep.meep said:

The funny thing is that David Tennant and Michael Sheen starred together on the show Good Omens, and have done a pandemic webseries from their homes.  Michael Tennant should reference both of them.

I have described the contestants on QI as being all the "fourth people on Graham Norton's couch" - I don't think they are all fantastically famous.

While they are mostly well-known in the UK, I wouldn't call the majority "shockingly famous."

For anyone who likes whacky British humour, QI well worth a look.  I've watched via You Tube, but it may be available through other channels.

I only know Kylie Minogue from Graham. I only know One Direction and BTS from Graham. That's just a sample, but I wasn't saying everyone on the show is shockingly famous, just that it is my only contact with some people who really are just that famous, internationally.