Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed Niecy Nash’s  portrayal of Cassandra the neighbor of Jeffrey who repeatedly got ignored by the cops about her concerns over his behavior.   It was heartbreaking to watch her talk about black people’s voices being largely ignored by American police even when she was being pestered by newspapers in France. She should have been the first person they talked to but the law was likely busy with its own internal postering since the two cops who gave the 14 year old boy back to Dahmer never did really pay.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Fire 2
  • Love 7

I’m confused as to why this episode was titled “Cassandra”. The episode was about Glenda. She referred to her daughter Sandra, who I assumed was the Cassandra of the title, but the daughter didn’t play into it at all. 

On 9/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, moonb said:

I assume Glenda is the Cassandra of the Cassandra truth trope, where she is trying to warn the cops repeatedly about Dahmer and everyone disregards her. 

I’m not too familiar with the Jeffrey Dahmer story. Was Glenda a real person?

On 9/28/2022 at 5:37 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

She is a real person. But I think I read that she lived in an adjacent building, not next door on his floor.

There was also a neighbor who actually dealt with Dahmer. They just put the two people into one character. Which is a standard in biopics.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/25/2022 at 1:40 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Niecy Nash is amazing. I love her work so much.

And her face is just stunning. And so interesting.

She really is. The work she can do with her face, those silent moments are so powerful. I can’t imagine the emotional turmoil someone in Glenda‘s position would be in- she tried to help, she did the right thing as a person and a neighbor, to be ignored, dismissed, and the survivor’s guilt. The world needs people like Glenda (who speak up when things don’t look right), but who wants to be in that position? I think that’s why so many turn a blind eye. 

I was also super creeped out by Evan Peters and the “eat it”.  Bone chilling. One thing I’m really loving about this series is how the victims and neighbors have agency. It’s not romanticizing Dahmer in any way. I would’ve thrown that fucking sandwich in the trash the moment he left though. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

She really is. The work she can do with her face, those silent moments are so powerful. I can’t imagine the emotional turmoil someone in Glenda‘s position would be in- she tried to help, she did the right thing as a person and a neighbor, to be ignored, dismissed, and the survivor’s guilt. The world needs people like Glenda (who speak up when things don’t look right), but who wants to be in that position? I think that’s why so many turn a blind eye. 

I was also super creeped out by Evan Peters and the “eat it”.  Bone chilling. One thing I’m really loving about this series is how the victims and neighbors have agency. It’s not romanticizing Dahmer in any way. I would’ve thrown that fucking sandwich in the trash the moment he left though. 

Maybe she should’ve taken that sandwich to the police and demanded that they test it, or eat it themselves.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1