Type keyword(s) to search

Do Revenge (2022)

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

Drea (Camila Mendes) is at the peak of her high school powers as the Alpha it-girl on campus when her entire life goes up in flames after her sex tape gets leaked to the whole school, seemingly by her boyfriend and king of the school, Max (Austin Abrams). Eleanor (Maya Hawke) is an awkward new transfer student who is angered to find out that she now has to go to school with her old bully, Carissa (Ava Capri) who started a nasty rumor about her in summer camp when they were 13. After a clandestine run-in at tennis camp, Drea and Eleanor form an unlikely and secret friendship to get revenge on each other's tormentors.

Dropped today on Netflix! Reviews are positive so far.

There were so many homages (Heathers, Jawbreaker, Mean Girls, Cruel Intentions, even a bit of 10 Things I Hate About You) that it was hard to keep track but they worked so well with the updated aesthetics and twists. So many times the movie really "felt" like a different teen black comedy classic but they were blended in so well that it never felt like a cheap ripoff.

She had a small part, but I am here for the SMG resurgence lately! (Her being Headmaster was another wink to Cruel Intentions)

Was not totally expecting - though honestly, I don't know what I was expecting - but I really enjoyed it!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

That was absolutely bonkers. I truly never knew where it was going, but it was fun. I loved Drea and Eleanor as chaotic evil platonic soulmates. I loved the visual style (I was constantly distracted looking at all the different combinations of those pastel school uniforms and noticing the flower print on everything). The soundtrack was fantastic. All the homages to classic teen movies were fun. I did feel like some people's motivations swung a little too quickly, but overall I had a great time.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, shantown said:

There were so many homages (Heathers, Jawbreaker, Mean Girls, Cruel Intentions, even a bit of 10 Things I Hate About You) that it was hard to keep track but they worked so well with the updated aesthetics and twists. So many times the movie really "felt" like a different teen black comedy classic but they were blended in so well that it never felt like a cheap ripoff.

She had a small part, but I am here for the SMG resurgence lately! (Her being Headmaster was another wink to Cruel Intentions)

Was not totally expecting - though honestly, I don't know what I was expecting - but I really enjoyed it!

It felt like a loving homage.

I will say that my biggest problem with Netflix teen films is that they kinda just amble. They are generally so afraid of offending and the characters are just so timid and conflict-free that they're boring to watch. (Let It Snow with Isabella Merced is a really good example of what I'm talking about.) I like that they didn't do that here.

• Love 1

I admit, I zoned out through most of the first half, but the big twist really drew me in. Camila Mendes was fantastic in her role. I hope she has great success in her post-Riverdale career.

There were so many homages (Heathers, Jawbreaker, Mean Girls, Cruel Intentions, even a bit of 10 Things I Hate About You)

My favorite was Max in a silk robe screaming to the heavens a la Leonardo DiCaprio in Baz Lurman's Romeo + Juliet. 

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I admit, I zoned out through most of the first half, but the big twist really drew me in.

Same here. The second half made this one of my favorite Netflix teen movies. And it was nice to see all these actors again that I liked in my favorite and not-so-favorite (Riverdale) Netflix series.

I watched this because of the Strangers on a Train theme. I expected Drea and Eleanor to be more careful about people seeing them together since Strangers scheming works only when no one knows you have ever met.  

Also, maybe I am too old but the absence of any parents went just a little too far. I know that was intentional but I needed them to wink at the conceit just a little more slyly instead of just avoiding it.

It's also really weird to hear and see the echoes of Uma in Maya. A bit uncanny valley.

Clueless.  They even named a place on the campus Horowitz Hall.  The school uniforms.  And Drea's fluffy pink pen.  And they stole half the soundtrack from Clueless.  And Drea's best friend is kind of Dionnesque.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It was a little too long, but still very enjoyable. The two leads had great chemistry and did a terrific job of playing off each other. I feel like you need to watch this a few times just to get all the 90's pop culture references.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Slade347 said:

The two leads had great chemistry and did a terrific job of playing off each other.

I think that was the movies strongest point. The plot was a bit much, but the leads really sold it for me. I didn't care about all the pop culture references. I rarely do care about that kind of stuff. It was a fun movie with pretty people who seemed to enjoy being there. That's enough for me.  

• Love 2