Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Not sure about this. But I did get to episode 4! Love the dog. 
How did Will take the necessary tests to become a detective if he can’t read? Didn’t  he say no one knows? Or am I not remembering correctly? 
also what is up with Erica Christiansens hair?! It’s a rats nest. Looks like she hadn’t washed or brushed it in days? Cheap wig? Why? Looking thru other pics of her,  It looks like female pattern hair loss, which is usually disguised much better. Although  not a bad thing for Hollywood to show real women issues. 

I wondered about the detective tests as well. There are ways to improve dyslexics reading, but I am not that familiar with them. In the military when I was a kid, I knew one of my Dad's subordinates took a test verbally because stress caused him to fail at written tests, even though he was excellent at his job. But, of course, that requires someone knowing and helping. Maybe the boss?

I think her hair is intended to look that way for her character - who is kind of a mess herself, showing lack of control. Whereas Will's suits and everything else, show a deliberate effort to control his life. It shows two different reactions to their abusive pasts.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

How did Will take the necessary tests to become a detective if he can’t read?

His boss knows. My guess is that they had him take the exams orally (someone reads the question to you and you speak your answer). I've known people who had those accommodations for various reasons. Before computers, most blind people did their tests that way, in school or wherever. No reason a dyslexic person wouldn't do it that way, as well.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I wondered about the detective tests as well. There are ways to improve dyslexics reading, but I am not that familiar with them. In the military when I was a kid, I knew one of my Dad's subordinates took a test verbally because stress caused him to fail at written tests, even though he was excellent at his job. But, of course, that requires someone knowing and helping. Maybe the boss?

I think her hair is intended to look that way for her character - who is kind of a mess herself, showing lack of control. Whereas Will's suits and everything else, show a deliberate effort to control his life. It shows two different reactions to their abusive pasts.

I’ve seen photos of her outside of the show and it looks like she is either wearing a wig or has her hair styled like this with a very low part as if she’s trying to hide the thinning. I know it’s Hollywood and it will never be real, and we will never know which actresses have fake hair, but it’s comforting to see. that even beautiful actresses are not immune to the real alopecia issues  that are always hidden by women

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They'd have to comply with The American With Disabilities act. Per that,  employers have to provide reasonable accommodations specific to the disclosed disability.  It also prohibits sharing that disclosure with anyone except those with a reasonable need to know.  I assume that Will even if he is super private would have either had to disclose to his immediate supervisor or the supervisor was one of the 'I've seen it all' types and offered the accommodation first.

• Like 4

It's really not that big of a deal to accommodate. One of my girlfriends was blind and worked for Prudential as an actuary. She had a screen reader for her computer and was perfectly able to do her job. She also worked as a substitute teacher in the NYC public schools, teaching math. And that was 30years ago!

Nowadays, there are even more ways to accommodate people who can't read print. 

Will can't write, either, but he can give dictation. Lots of people who CAN read and write deliver reports by giving dictation.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

1 minute ago, possibilities said:

It's really not that big of a deal to accommodate. One of my girlfriends was blind and worked for Prudential as an actuary. She had a screen reader for her computer and was perfectly able to do her job. She also worked as a substitute teacher in the NYC public schools, teaching math. And that was 30years ago!

Will can't write, either, but he can give dictation. Lots of people who CAN read and write deliver reports by giving dictation.

On a latter episode thread this topic also came up. It is not the civil service/promotion test that get me. But how does a young officer survive patrol  while needing someone else around to read for him? 

I can assume that Agent Trent was hired directly to the GBI like the FBI agent who comes straight from law school or an accounting MBA but without patrol officer experience. Thus without the same background as the big city detective who in most jurisdictions worked patrol for years  before moving to a job with usually a more controllable environment

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He actually can read and write. He isn’t illiterate.  There was a scene where he got out of bed to read something and got frustrated.  Angie reminded him that it got harder when he was tired.   He can’t just casually read notes like most people can and processes verbal info better, but he can process written info under the right circumstances.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
On 1/29/2023 at 6:39 AM, chediavolo said:

Not sure about this. But I did get to episode 4! Love the dog. 
How did Will take the necessary tests to become a detective if he can’t read? Didn’t  he say no one knows? Or am I not remembering correctly? 
also what is up with Erica Christiansens hair?! It’s a rats nest. Looks like she hadn’t washed or brushed it in days? Cheap wig? Why? Looking thru other pics of her,  It looks like female pattern hair loss, which is usually disguised much better. Although  not a bad thing for Hollywood to show real women issues. 

Will does struggle but I'm sure he can read. You can get reasonable accommodations to help you do your job. But it doesn't mean you don't struggle. 

On 1/29/2023 at 10:30 AM, Clanstarling said:

People with dyslexia have different challenges. I worked for a CEO who had dyslexia and she shared the dyslexia tutoring she had as a kid (outside of school) and how one of her sisters was dyslexic but struggled more than she did. She also got accommodations at school, college, and law school. And she enjoyed writing but made sure she had good proofreaders on her team. 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:49 PM, Raja said:

On a latter episode thread this topic also came up. It is not the civil service/promotion test that get me. But how does a young officer survive patrol  while needing someone else around to read for him? 

I can assume that Agent Trent was hired directly to the GBI like the FBI agent who comes straight from law school or an accounting MBA but without patrol officer experience. Thus without the same background as the big city detective who in most jurisdictions worked patrol for years  before moving to a job with usually a more controllable environment

He's not illiterate. 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:11 PM, DEL901 said:

He actually can read and write. He isn’t illiterate.  There was a scene where he got out of bed to read something and got frustrated.  Angie reminded him that it got harder when he was tired.   He can’t just casually read notes like most people can and processes verbal info better, but he can process written info under the right circumstances.  

Thank you for saying Trent can read and write. He's not illiterate. People sometimes think dyslexia is writing letters backward OR complete inability to read OR that it's something that only kids face. Off the top of my head, I can name 25 famous people who have dyslexia. They don't all have the same struggles.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

He's not illiterate. 

If he gets confused under stress as contacts between beat cops and people on the streets occur for the job he is functionally illiterate at that moment of contact. Where as a detective working a crime scene is a more controlled environment.

11 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Will does struggle but I'm sure he can read. You can get reasonable accommodations to help you do your job. But it doesn't mean you don't struggle.

I never thought Will couldn't read - just that I wondered given his tendency to secrecy, whether he'd asked for accommodations during his training/testing and with his current superiors.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, Clanstarling said:

I never thought Will couldn't read - just that I wondered given his tendency to secrecy, whether he'd asked for accommodations during his training/testing and with his current superiors.

Yes, I agree. I think I quoted you by accident. 

• Like 1
On 1/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I did not recognize Mark Paul Gosselar!!!

It took me until their fight, later on, to realize who he was. 

I finally watched this, needing something I thought would be lighter. Netflix keeps recommending me shows with the description "in the brutal aftermath of" or "this gripping, gritty nordic thriller" when I mostly use it to watch Gilmore Girls, Jane the Virgin, The Good Place, etc. So, I opened up hulu, and it was right there.

I knew he would keep the dog, I'm glad that he did. I like him, and his friend Angie. I'm going to watch the next episode soon, it looks like something I'll keep watching. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Anela said:

It took me until their fight, later on, to realize who he was. 

I finally watched this, needing something I thought would be lighter. Netflix keeps recommending me shows with the description "in the brutal aftermath of" or "this gripping, gritty nordic thriller" when I mostly use it to watch Gilmore Girls, Jane the Virgin, The Good Place, etc. So, I opened up hulu, and it was right there.

I knew he would keep the dog, I'm glad that he did. I like him, and his friend Angie. I'm going to watch the next episode soon, it looks like something I'll keep watching. 

How funny you're picking up on this now, as I saw him in another show this week and someone posted about it, and I also didn't recognize him!  It was on an old episode of Barry.  I'm only just getting to watch Barry now.  So I thought I was seeing a surfeit of Gosselar.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2023 at 1:43 AM, HelloooKitty said:

I would just like to say that “Will Trent” works in the Ted Lasso “Roy Kent” song and whenever I think the name of the show or character my brain insists on singing it that way. It’s a bit annoying. 

I did find the show interesting- especially the tidbits we found out about Will and how you see he has learned to integrate  them into and work around them in his life. 

Exactly the same for me with "Roy Kent"!

Will is very smart and can read. They just have different ways of working with it. I love Youtuber Emily D Baker who is dyslexic and has ADHD. 

As a book reader, please don't make Angie nice. She is satanic in the books, but the show is not really following them. It's more of an 'inspired by.' 

Slaughter is not a nice person. I went to an event where she spoke. She wore sweatpants (this was a nice event and everyone wore suits or dresses) and insulted the crowd. This was a library fundraiser. I stopped reading her stuff after this.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Slaughter is not a nice person. I went to an event where she spoke. She wore sweatpants (this was a nice event and everyone wore suits or dresses) and insulted the crowd. This was a library fundraiser. I stopped reading her stuff after this.

I checked out her first Will Trent book, Triptych, and put it down after a few pages. Though I like murder mysteries (cops, suspense, cozies, etc.) it just seemed so negative that I couldn't get into it. Actually, I'm glad, as I like the show and don't want to be comparing it with the books.

• Like 1