Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: St. Simon Says Fight

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

I find Taylor very likeable, which is extremely jarring since she is a person on this show. And, I think Shep is a shithead. That said, I don't like the way people on the show talk about Taylor like she's a just a dupe who has no agency here. Do I think she's too good for Shep? 100%. Do I hope she dumps his ass? Yep! But she's (seemingly!) a reasonably smart, adult woman whose eyes are open to who Shep is. Like, Craig saying that Taylor "just lets you do whatever you want with no consequences" seemed sort of disrespectful to Taylor, if that makes sense.

And the Raya thing just seemed like a whole lot of nothing. It sounded like he hadn't used it in two years (which is something Taylor could easily check). Maybe he is cheating on her and the other cast members know about it and that explains what we're hearing from them. But a two year old Raya profile is not exactly a smoking gun.

• Love 3

Not sure of the timeline but perhaps Naomie started "hooking up" with Whitney so folks (Craig) would lay off the tiresome "Naomie still has a thing for Craig" accusations. Like the equivalent of women going to a gay bar so they don't have to worry about getting hit on by random dudes all night. 

• Love 5
On 9/15/2022 at 11:10 PM, MrBuhBye said:

In some states you can get in trouble for drunk driving but being drunk at a bar unless he commits a crime I think he doesn’t have to worry.

I assume in SC it is a crime to be publicly intoxicated and fighting, even in a bar. I’m not an attorney, but I can lose my professional license for being drunk and sloppy on camera - including being posted on social media. We get talks from legal about rules of professional conduct every year. Behind closed doors would be different. This is all moot, of course, because who in the world is hiring Craig to represent them?
Probably terrible for me to say, but he appears to have substance issues. I never see him casually enjoying a drink. When he’s not drunk, he’s bloated and sweaty and lethargic. I don’t think he’s headed in a great direction. I know…same for Shep, but he has zero responsibilities. Austen seems like he can hold his own. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/17/2022 at 5:55 PM, ladle said:

I find Taylor very likeable, which is extremely jarring since she is a person on this show. And, I think Shep is a shithead. That said, I don't like the way people on the show talk about Taylor like she's a just a dupe who has no agency here. Do I think she's too good for Shep? 100%. Do I hope she dumps his ass? Yep! But she's (seemingly!) a reasonably smart, adult woman whose eyes are open to who Shep is.

Thank you for this.  Taylor is a sweet soul so the others automatically project that she won't stand up for herself.  I hate that.  Just because not everyone handles things the way bulldozers Leva and Venita do, doesn't mean Taylor's way is wrong or ineffective.  

Spoiler

And the best part is, we know she DOES do something about it!  So shut up, Leva!

I wouldn't find Austen particularly bothersome BUT (as a poster reminded us) he did cheat on Madison.  And for those who watch Summer House, I absolutely loathed how he he turned up and treated Ciara so horribly (whether you like her or not).  He was downright, in your face, mean to her.  I think Austen also treats women who he thinks are "on his level" differently than those that he would deem are not.  

I did think the conversation with Taylor was interesting and came across as heartfelt.  It also backs up what I had already picked up on from her Insta, they must truly be friends.  

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, MrBuhBye said:

I was just pointing out that it’s not just sex workers and their clients who don’t kiss.

And "sex workers don't kiss" may be a generalization that we've come to believe, but only from TV-watching experience.  EVEN SEX WORKERS may adopt that policy because of their TV education.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, RedInk said:

Probably terrible for me to say, but he appears to have substance issues.

I did see him make a casual comment about stopping Adderall...but no further info about when/why.

21 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I think Austen also treats women who he thinks are "on his level" differently than those that he would deem are not.  

EGAD!  How low a level can that be?  He's a jerk who plays a jerk on television...very high clahss.  His grandchildren will be able to watch their TV star poppy's crass antics into eternity.

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

And "sex workers don't kiss" may be a generalization that we've come to believe, but only from TV-watching experience.  EVEN SEX WORKERS may adopt that policy because of their TV education.

Yeah there is something called the girlfriend experience which I assume includes kissing because it is providing the fantasy of an actual relationship rather than a transaction.

5 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I did see him make a casual comment about stopping Adderall...but no further info about when/why.

I read that in his recent book he goes into detail about an addiction to Adderall.

7 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

EGAD!  How low a level can that be? 

He is just middle class.  One parent worked for the FBI.  

2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

EGAD!  How low a level can that be? 

He is just middle class.  One parent worked for the FBI.  

My question was more of a "class act" (which he's not) question...not actual social class.  

15 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

My question was more of a "class act" (which he's not) question...not actual social class.  

Yeah I just meant he shouldn’t put on airs like he has family money (which is no reason anyway but people like Shep still do it).

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah I just meant he shouldn’t put on airs like he has family money (which is no reason anyway but people like Shep still do it).

40-something Shep can shove it with all his ridiculous airs he still desperately clings to like a damned child. I’ve *never* understood lording one’s birth/family status over others—like big deal, so you just happened to fall out of a rich wife’s vagina. Not everyone wins the socioeconomic status lottery at birth!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 9/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, ladle said:

And the Raya thing just seemed like a whole lot of nothing. It sounded like he hadn't used it in two years (which is something Taylor could easily check). Maybe he is cheating on her and the other cast members know about it and that explains what we're hearing from them. But a two year old Raya profile is not exactly a smoking gun.

It sounded like the boys made a big deal of the Raya thing was because Shep put it up while on vacation with Taylor in Bermuda. Which if true is a really shitty move. But what do we expect from someone who was born into money but wasn't raised into class and manners?

Austen and Olivia's showmance is painful to watch. They never stayed in the same lodging during all the vacations, and they don't even sit together. That holding hands bit was so forced. And this is already AFTER they had the talk of being exclusive.

At least when Austen was with Chelsea, they would stay in the same room together and be with each other most of the time when they're away on vacations, etc., or come as a couple in events and parties. They didn't even have "the talk" until the last episode of the season,  but for most of the season they were a believable couple.

But I guess this is how Olivia gains her way into the show other than just being a "friend of". 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

It sounded like the boys made a big deal of the Raya thing was because Shep put it up while on vacation with Taylor in Bermuda. Which if true is a really shitty move. But what do we expect from someone who was born into money but wasn't raised into class and manners?

Or the producers told them to make a big deal out of it.  With Shep possibly agreeing, so that they could have some drama for the show.

If they're best buds as the show depicts them, would they really meddle into Shep's business like that, even if he is being a heel and not treating Taylor well?

I don't think they'd outright confront him about it, certainly not in public.  They might pull him aside but they wouldn't do it on a TV show, especially a damn Bravo reality show.

Or Austen shedding crocodile tears to Taylor because "Shep isn't worth of you."  Come on if Shep was half serious about Taylor, he'd consider that intrusive and possibly trying to sabotage the relationship.

I can see close girlfriends or family members of Taylor pulling her aside, staging an intervention to get her to dump Shep.  But again, they sue damn wouldn't do it on TV.

How often do people get judge-y about other people's relationships in real life?  And to do it in such a public way?