Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Davon

• Start Topic

In a noir-ish fractured-memory thriller, a young stranger suddenly wakes up in a dangerous, foreign town with no memory of how he got there; he must piece together fragments of his broken mind to uncover why the townspeople accuse him of murder.

Streaming on AMC+. As always, proceed at your risk for spoilers before the airdate.

Airdate 22.09.11

Ok, now we're talking! THAT was really good, especially because at first I thought it was just more bullshit. The only BS part, in the end, for me, was the zombie in the handcuffs because every time it "talked" you could clearly see it was obviously a mask. Real shame because otherwise that was some crazy design. The whole episode felt so off kilter, it was as if the episode was on mushrooms. After all these years, I didn't think TWD could pull off anything as psychadelic (in a bad way) as this episode and I think I loved it.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

I hated it. I thought the execution was terrible, most of it was so dark I couldn't tell who was who, and that's not good for a one-off when you don't know a single character. I don't get the artsy flashbacks designed to look like old film and I'm not a fan of storytelling via flashback under any circumstance anyway. I just spent the whole episode wondering what the hell was going on, until the very end, and even then I'm left with a lot of questions. Where did Devon come from, how did they find him, why did they bring him in, etc. What did he say in French at the very end? It was all so convoluted and confusing.

Worst one ever.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Well, that was... interesting? Sort of a noirish Salem Witch Trials vibe-y kind of thing. It was creepy, that I'll grant. My big takeaway was wondering how a community like that can exist in the ZA, without being beset by all the bad guys out there. Of course, the irony was the bad guy was within, yadda yadda, not something we haven't seen before on TWD, but still... We've seen bigger, stronger, better equipped communities fall in no time flat, so... bad guys don't like Maine?

It definitely was weird, there was really no explanation as to how Davon got there & why didn't the zombie he was handcuffed to try to eat him, instead she's telling him where to go.

I know it was supposed to be the Amanda woman but that's never stopped the zombies before even if they knew someone, & what did Davon say in French @ the end ?

• Love 1

Took me awhile to get to this one. Pretty bad that at the 50 minute time stamp I had no idea what was going on. How did anyone without a DVR for slow motion, and closed captioning see anything that was happening?

Supposedly this was about memories, but the whole thing looked like a hallucination. One minute a mob is chasing him but they stop while he's lumbering around with a walker and slamming garage doors. 

How did he light that lantern one handed? You have to lift the glass up to access the wick.

When they were putting him in the VW van, no one really paid any attention to the walker on the ground. The old guy talked about the main guy being eaten, but since no one seemed concerned about walkers, I continued to think this was a hallucination. Plus crushing a VW van with a backhoe as a method of execution is Monty Python silly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2022 at 12:12 AM, Cryonix said:

what did Davon say in French @ the end ?

"Je verais",  I will see.

i thought the message of this one was about not allowing the apocalypse to remove one's humanity. "we decide who we are" not  circumstances. The villagers are going to kill him out of pure revenge, but because they do not, one of the missing children is saved, he tells them not to make the same mistake again but they kill  junior serial killer anyway, he says  in french. "you will see" (tu verais, meaning they'll see where their violence and lack of humanity leads. His parting  words of I will see presumably mean that he will also see if he is correct that there are still decent people left in the world.

Given that this is the TWD universe, i'd say good luck with that one mate.

• Mind Blown 1