Type keyword(s) to search

What Concerts Have You Seen?

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I saw Lord Huron last night as they played Ottawa Jazz Festival. Prior to 2019 I never heard of them. But I saw them open for Arkells that year and still remember thinking how they were the best opening band I ever saw. And after last night I'm an even bigger fan.

Last night they were even better. Put on a really fun and energetic show. Even though it rained for part of it, it was such a warm night no one cared. Plus Ottawa Jazzfest was an interesting festival. I paid a bit extra for a platinum ticket. That gave me access to the area at the front of the stage where there was actually seating. Seating was just maybe 10 rows of folding camping chairs set up but I found a spot in the second row right in front of the bass player. They finished the show with the Neil Young song Harvest Moon which was kind of perfect.

• Like 2

Oooh, I've heard a bit of Lord Huron - my sister really likes them and I like the couple songs I've heard by them. If their cover of "Harvest Moon" is anywhere online, I'll have to check that out. I love that song. 

So it looks like it will be another year of three concerts for me again although not really by choice. As I mentioned I saw Lord Huron back in June. Then last night I saw Arkells again when they played the Ottawa City Folk festival. It was the fourth time I have seen them live and it was a good energetic show as usual. It was a bit short but considering it was the second time I have seen them in 10 months I can't really complain. And they are only really big in Canada so their tickets aren't crazy expensive.

Then tomorrow night I am going back to the City Folk festival, taking my 12 year old daughter to see David Kushner and Kaleo. She was super upset when we told her that even if we got tickets a trip to Toronto (with hotel and everything) to see Taylor Swift was not an option. So when she heard about this it made her feel better. And I told her if she could save her money to pay for her ticket I would take her. So we will see, not super excited about either act but willing to have an open mind.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2023 at 10:13 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I saw Lord Huron last night as they played Ottawa Jazz Festival. Prior to 2019 I never heard of them. But I saw them open for Arkells that year and still remember thinking how they were the best opening band I ever saw. And after last night I'm an even bigger fan.

Last night they were even better. Put on a really fun and energetic show. Even though it rained for part of it, it was such a warm night no one cared. Plus Ottawa Jazzfest was an interesting festival. I paid a bit extra for a platinum ticket. That gave me access to the area at the front of the stage where there was actually seating. Seating was just maybe 10 rows of folding camping chairs set up but I found a spot in the second row right in front of the bass player. They finished the show with the Neil Young song Harvest Moon which was kind of perfect.

I only heard of Lord Huron because of TCM, of all things. Lord Huron songs were used for the 2018 TCM Remembers and again last year for the 2022 edition:

2018:

2022:

The first one in 2018, I thought it was Jackson Browne [who I am admittedly not a fan of!] and was shocked I liked a song of his. Then I found out through the video above it wasn't him at all!

• Like 1

I saw Magic Dirt on Saturday night, doing a tour for the 25th anniversary of one of their albums, Young and Full of the Devil. Apparently they lost the rights at some point, but got them back.

Anyway, it was weird. I've seen them several times before. Previously, their audience was all teens and twenties. We were generation X, young and awesome. Somehow this time it was all middle-aged people! When did that happen? What's that you're saying? GX + 25 = middle-aged? Never! Also, a friend previously claimed I wouldn't need earplugs. Believe me, I needed them. I'd forgotten how loud live music gets, but at least I was prepared.

Good show. They were full of energy and didn't miss a beat. The crowd was all well behaved that I could see. That's probably the upside to GX. All our wild youths are long in the past. We were there to see a great band, not stagedive or get into fights.

All in all, it was a good night out. I'll probably go again if they come back sometime.

On Thursday, went to Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir Skylė (local Lithuanian folk metal band that's been active since the nineties) concert in Vytautas Magnus University's Grand Hall. All 700 seats were filled. It was the best hour and a half.

Basically was this (see video below, for those who are interested), only with newer songs:

• Useful 1

Fresh out of Kaunas Philharmony in Lithuania. It was b-day "concert" of a local singer Jurga Šeduikytė. I put the word concert in brackets, because it was first time for me to witness such none-sense: 4 minutes of singing followed by 10 minutes of talking about herself. I mean, if the concert started sooner, like 6 PM, I probably would not have minded that, but when it started at 8 PM and ended at a little over 10 PM... Silver lining is that I did not pay for the tickets, because if I had, boy oh boy, I would have left an hour in to her performance...

Which is strange, because her concert last year in the Botanical Gardens was nothing like it was today.

• Like 1

Good concert week for me! 

Saw Rhiannon Giddens on Monday.  She's so incredibly talented in everything.  She plays about a million instruments (favoring the banjo), writes wonderful songs and does a great thing in keeping the history of Americana music alive.  I'm still bitter that the Broadway show she was supposed to do was closed before she started.  And that was 8 years ago. 

Saw Jon Batiste last night.  He's brilliant.  And Trombone Shorty made a cameo appearance during the show-they've been friends since childhood and happened to end up in the same city at the same time.  How fortunate for me!!  I'm still recovering 24 hours later. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Saw Jon Batiste last night.  He's brilliant.  And Trombone Shorty made a cameo appearance during the show-they've been friends since childhood and happened to end up in the same city at the same time.  How fortunate for me!!  I'm still recovering 24 hours later. 

Oh, lucky you! He'd be so fun to see in concert. Very cool about his friend showing up as well. 

• Like 1