Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Winter's Grasp

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

I guess everyone is enjoying summer heat and not wanting to watch people starve and freeze lol!

JP and Temo hunkering down in the storm and crazy KL out collecting firewood  !!😝 Also she decides to make her clay oven when things are frozen??  Anyways she seems to be truly enjoying herself and seems to be in it for the pure joy of the lifestyle and not to win $$ or learn a big life lesson. I can't believe she shot a squirrel at this point, good for her!!

other random thoughts:  

What did JP end up doing with the weasel?  They never followed up with that.

If you stay in long enough that the river is frozen you get to be taken out by helicopter!!!  wow that would be fun!!

I don't know how they got all their winter clothing into their one pack. Those huge parkas, mits, fur hats, winter boots, wool sweaters, ski pants?

I never really thought about the Inuit people surviving without fire before, interesting. Of course they are living on seal blubber so lots of calories.

I'm tired of Temojin's self discovery, I think he will be the next to go.

Its a crap shoot between JP and KL at this point.

• Love 4

So we're up to day 60 and three people remain. What's the record, anyone remember? Ah - Roland lasted 100 days. I don't think these three will break that. Unfortunately, the show always devolves into a starvation contest. I wish there were some way they could avoid that, either with better locations or starting earlier in the year. I feel cold just watching this show.

I was shocked to learn that the body can go up to two months without food if properly hydrated. I don't think Juan Pablo will last that long though. I wonder how it would affect them if they knew how many other people were left. I mean, if you find out it's down to three it's probably motivation to stick it out. If you think there are like six or seven left you might be more tempted to tap.

I think Karie Lee might just walk away with this, she's looking none the worse for wear compared to the other two. Anyone else think Karie Lee kind of looks like Witchiepoo?

image.png.c1ab1219c276a645dfd4383b19b6facf.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Witchiepoo?

Wow that was a blast from the past!! thanks

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I was shocked to learn that the body can go up to two months without food if properly hydrated

I recently had a family member with vascular dementia where the brain basically shuts off the urge to eat. I was amazed how long it went on until the organs shut down and they stopped taking water.  Then it is only a few days.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

I didn't realize that the finale is next week.  A lot must happen in the final episode.  

I think I'll be happy with whoever ends up winning.  I like Teimojan OK but he's a physician so his future is pretty much assured if he loses.  I also like Juan Pablo and winning the money would be life changing for him.  Karie Lee is a little kooky but she's likeable and sincere.  Somehow, I don't think winning a small fortune would change her much.  They're all deserving for one reason or another but I'm kinda rooting a little bit harder for Juan Pablo.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Anyone else think Karie Lee kind of looks like Witchiepoo?

Nah, teeth aren't black enough.

I guess this was kind of a place holder episode.  With next week's finale, I didn't think anyone would tap out yet, and we didn't really get any clues.  I think who wins is a tossup, it's anybody's game.  Honestly, I want Karie to win because she's 57 and I find her attitude refreshing, wacky though she may be.  But my guess right now is Teimojin wins, although I have no idea.

I enjoyed the wintry hunker down scenes.

• Love 5

Katie Ann for the win. Such joy just in the experience. I love her. She seems so at peace with everything. 

I worry about all of them and long term effect. But you do what you gotta do consequences be damed I guess!

• Love 2

It seemed to me that they all appeared stronger this week, than they were last week, which is odd. Especially JP, even now when he’s decided to fast it out for the last 20.

The fruit leather jerky is a good thing for Kerri Lee and I suppose it is her eking out her food supply she brought as one of her 10 items that is helping her stay in a positive mindset. Waking up and proclaiming it is a glorious day also helps a lot too. Not seeing the weight loss drawing in her face too much tho. 

That day or two of wet cold snow must have been tough to deal with for each of them.

I am getting the feeling it will be Juan Paul for the win in the end if he manages to keep the yanker outers at bay because he loses too much weight. He sure is playing this game with a smart head and knowledgable in the survival techniques of long haulers. I do see a little bit of the weight loss showing in his face this week. I am rooting for JP to win in the end at this point, even tho the other two are giving it a good run for the money. I think he needs the $$ more than the other two. 

I think Teimojin will follow the Adam suit and be worried about his health and weight loss affecting his career of doctoring, and it looked to me in the preview for next week Kerri having heart palpitations which might scare her out of the game? Maybe that heart rate quickening is her having excited joy at something, and they were just trying to throw us off with that clip? It would be nice for a woman of her age to be the first women winning this show. 

Well, at least we know two more are going down for the count next week, because it is the last episode. 
Not keeping a fire going all the time is not a good idea in my opinion. Imagine how cold and stiff you would be searching for firewood in deep wet snow when you decide its time to fire one up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think I'm in the minority, because I find Karie Lee weird and definitely playing  to the camera for more air time.  She's definitely not my first choice for winner.  I'd like to see JP take it just because he's done so much against the grain stuff that I think it would be cool.  I think Teimojin might tap because as a doctor, he knows how far he can go.

Why did KL decide to build her oven on day 50-something?  Shouldn't that have been done, I don't know, day 10?

JP had me confused:  he's planning to just hunker down, but yet he's going to go walkabout on the ice?

Anybody catch the Alone: Frozen preview?  Mostly just introduced the players.  Looks like it's basically going to be starvation mode from day one, since they're being dropped in after winter's already started.  Wonder if they filmed them both concurrently?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, madmax said:

Why did KL decide to build her oven on day 50-something?  Shouldn't that have been done, I don't know, day 10?

Anybody catch the Alone: Frozen preview?  Mostly just introduced the players.  Looks like it's basically going to be starvation mode from day one, since they're being dropped in after winter's already started.  Wonder if they filmed them both concurrently?

Yes. Kerri Lee just getting around to building her oven fireplace now is crazy. Plus she added too much dry grass to the mix which is why it failed. She was talking about starting building it from scratch again. Why not just patch up the area that needs to be fixed? Maybe it wont work out right if she does that? I dont know.

Yes, I watched the preview for the new Frozen episodes. There is one woman there, I forget her name, but she is thin as a rail and already severely underweight before she even starts. How could she (or the producers) even think she’d have a chance at sticking it out?                   Oh well, the more money for the rest to split up and share. I guarantee she wont make it to the end. Shes thin enough to be tapped before she even starts.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, madmax said:

JP had me confused:  he's planning to just hunker down, but yet he's going to go walkabout on the ice?

He said it is easier to walk on ice then through the bush and snow so if he does have to walk anywhere (to get firewood?? ) he will do that on the ice. Also it sounds like if he is able to see animal tracks he would try hunting again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

I'd like to see JP take it just because he's done so much against the grain stuff that I think it would be cool.  I think Teimojin might tap because as a doctor, he knows how far he can go.

I wouldn't be angry to see Juan Pablo win.  As you say, he's done some out of the box thinking that is quite interesting, and I definitely think he is a contender.  His strategy reminds me a bit of Sam's, but without the mice and with a few wrinkles of his own.  Plus he seems like a likable fellow.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

Yes, I watched the preview for the new Frozen episodes. There is one woman there, I forget her name, but she is thin as a rail and already severely underweight before she even starts. How could she (or the producers) even think she’d have a chance at sticking it out?                   Oh well, the more money for the rest to split up and share. I guarantee she wont make it to the end. Shes thin enough to be tapped before she even starts.

Michelle?  She seemed pretty thin to me and she tapped during her season early because of hunger.  Do they split the $500K or does everyone that lasts 50 days get it?  From the voiceover, it sounded like he said if you last 50 days, you get $500K.

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

Do they split the $500K or does everyone that lasts 50 days get it?  From the voiceover, it sounded like he said if you last 50 days, you get $500K.

I caught that as well.  I read the description on the History channel and interpreted it to mean that they would split the $500K, but Michelle did say last night that everyone who lasted 50 days would get $500K.  I guess we'll find out when the show airs. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ohh! I thought they said if they lasted 50 days, they would split the 500k between the ones who made it 50 days.

Edited to add: I just went to the shows site and it says anyone “who goes the distance” gets to share in the 500k. 
I bet no one sees a dime. It looks like a set up for failure in my opinion. 

Edited by SassyCat
Addition
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Yes, I watched the preview for the new Frozen episodes. There is one woman there, I forget her name, but she is thin as a rail and already severely underweight before she even starts. How could she (or the producers) even think she’d have a chance at sticking it out?                   

IIRC, she tapped out after 21 days.  I suppose they have to have at least someone who will tap out early, just to keep the story going.  

My original understanding was that all six would be living together, but I was mistaken.  That made me interested in how they would go about sharing things like food, but then I guess it wouldn't be Alone, would it?  I remember how angry people got the last time they changed the premise, and had pairs living together.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

My original understanding was that all six would be living together, but I was mistaken.  That made me interested in how they would go about sharing things like food, but then I guess it wouldn't be Alone, would it?  I remember how angry people got the last time they changed the premise, and had pairs living together.  

I hated the pairs.  Then it's not  Alone, is it?  

Naked & Afraid is doing their Frozen, with all of them living together.  Starts Sunday.

• Love 1

Did I miss part of Teimojan's story? I knew he was "doing it for his mom" and talked a lot about her, but in this episode it sounded like there was actually some big riff between them. It wasn't exactly clear, something about her lifestyle was unhealthy and he got upset with that, and he was saying he was sorry and would never leave her again. (or something?!) Does anyone know what that was about? 

I thought I was going to be annoyed by JP's fasting "strategy," but he did some interesting stuff this episode, rather than just lying there like I was picturing. 

I'll be happy for any of them, especially because none of them have that kind of machismo that I find a little tiresome. It's interesting to see them bond with their environment rather than conquer it. (Although I'll contradict myself a little and say I do miss the big game component a little. I even miss the fishing nets!)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 7/31/2022 at 12:55 AM, rmontro said:

I can't watch that show, too gimmicky.

I’m right there with ya 

On 7/30/2022 at 5:57 PM, rmontro said:

IIRC, she tapped out after 21 days.  I suppose they have to have at least someone who will tap out early, just to keep the story going.  

I loved the pairs season. The 2 brothers winning still amazes me for what little they had as far as shelter goes. 2 tough brothers for sure