Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: White Knights

• Start Topic

(edited)

Watching this now. I’m loving Uncle Clifford as the sad and cynical Fairy Godmother doing the narration. 
Adoring the Cinderella retelling in the modern South with Prince Charming developing as an abuser. Very realistic portrayal of how a male abuser and abusive relationship develops. But I always loved fractured fairy tales so this is right in my wheelhouse. 

OMG, back to add that I love that there was justice for Rome and his rapist, blackmailing and parasitical ways. You can tell that this was written by a woman, first for the justice and second because poison has classically been known as a woman’s weapon. But stealth was required in this situation because sometimes death is a sneaky ass bitch. 

Edited by AuntieMame
To add all of the squees!!
  • Love 8

I loved that Mississippi's backstory was Southern Gothic version of Cinderella; sadly, her story doesn't end happily ever after.  She is still a victim of abuse and exploitation. 

I am so worried for her; I hope she finally finds the strength to leave--or at least call Woddy to "handle" Derek the way did Rome.  She has so much potential, and I want to see her win. Speaking of Woddy, I love he is protective over her and Lil Murda. 

Derek is trash, but growing up in an abusive environment, in addition to the bitterness and anger of being disowned by his family, explains his rage. Tragically, he continues the violent cycle with Keyshawn and his children. 

.Big Teak is intriguing; I hope we get a backstory from his and his relationship with Lil Murda, and I want a love triangle between, him Murda and Uncle Clifford 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Woddy taking out Rome was beautiful. I keep forgetting his family owns the funeral home.

I hope Derrick gets a similar farewell. His scene with Keyshawn was horrible and he'll eventually kill her. It's telling that he first became violent with Keyshawn when she was pregnant. Pregnant women are at higher risk of domestic violence or murder. There's no way both Keyshawn and Derrick can survive this season. One of them has to die.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, marceline said:

Woddy taking out Rome was beautiful. I keep forgetting his family owns the funeral home.

I hope Derrick gets a similar farewell. His scene with Keyshawn was horrible and he'll eventually kill her. It's telling that he first became violent with Keyshawn when she was pregnant. Pregnant women are at higher risk of domestic violence or murder. There's no way both Keyshawn and Derrick can survive this season. One of them has to die.

Agreed but the fractured Cinderella retelling helped the audience understand the emotional component of how abused women get trapped. Derrick started as seemingly sympathetic even though the red flags were out all over the place. Practically she is trapped by children, a forever tie to this man.

So yes, I’m hoping Derrick will meet his just desserts so that Keyshawn and her children can be safe. Because as long as he is alive the children are automatic entry into her life. It sucks but its true. Worse this awful man could take some of her money too. Are they actually married? Does anyone know? 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Spoiler

I hope this is true

However, for survivors of domestic abuse, leaving is never easy or simple. Keyshawn will have to lean on some old friends for help. “Keyshawn is resourceful and she’s a go-getter, so she will figure something out,” Thornton explained. “You’ll see her do just that. Towards the end of the season, she calls on some old friends.”

• Love 1

Between Rome and Derek I was ready to climb through the damn TV.

fight-mode-activated.gif

On 7/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, AuntieMame said:

sometimes death is a sneaky ass bitch. 

Oooh that entire scene. When Woody said, "How you want to be buried?" I was like:

200.gif

2 hours ago, sereion said:

Did anyone notice how one of Keyshawn's stepsister cringed when her father kissed her? 

Yes. There's definitely something not right going on there. And fits in with the stepmom talking about how men who want Barbies always manage to find a new one to "play" with. She knows something is up - either that her husband is cheating or that he's abusing her daughter - but is ignoring it to maintain her lifestyle. 

• Sad 3
  • Love 4

Knowing that this was a Keyshawn episode, I did something that I never do. I actually checked spoilers before watching. There's so much fear and anxiety with her situation that I wanted to know what I was walking into. I must say that this ended up as one of my favorite episodes so far. It was great getting her back story. Her dad was trash and her step-mother just as bad. I'm curious to learn more about her biological mom now.

We now know that Key and Gidget were high school friends. Looks like we were robbed of a scene of the two of them visiting Gidget's mom, dancing at the Pynk. Ugh

Speaking of moms, great cameo from Pastor Woodbine and her wig. I can't wait til we get her and Mercedes' back story.

As expected, Derrick is an abuser who was abused. Tragic. That last attack was so hard to watch. Although I'm surprised the doctor and nurse, who would be mandated reporters, wouldn't immediately call CPS with a child coming in like that.

I always knew Rome was no good. He was just too slick. Woddy taking him out was awesome. I suspect we haven't seen or heard the last of that video footage though. And underrated scene of the night had to be the silent "they fucking?" exchange between Woddy and Keyshawn. 

• Love 6
On 7/4/2022 at 6:10 PM, Dream Boy said:

As expected, Derrick is an abuser who was abused. Tragic. That last attack was so hard to watch. Although I'm surprised the doctor and nurse, who would be mandated reporters, wouldn't immediately call CPS with a child coming in like that.

I would expect them to call after she left he office. That might be a future plot development.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I know I’m 500yrs behind - I had a lot going on and I promised my Mom I would not watch without her. 

We finally get the backstory between Derek and Keyshawn. I 100% see how she fell for him initially and why she is now trapped. One of the saddest things is that Derek had some good qualities (I believe he genuinely liked her and was thoughtful) he may not have ended up as an abuser if he had some more resources and tools, to deal with his trauma but now he just needs to die. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, qtpye said:

I loved this though I was so afraid for Key when that man was holding an iron to her face.

This show is really underrated. 

I think the only reason he didn’t burn her face is because he knows HER FACE is the money, and he still wants her to work. 

If this keeps up, he will end up killing one of the kids, and KeyShawn will end up in prison too. Not like she can take them to his Mom, his Mom didn’t protect her own son. 

On 7/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Dream Boy said:

I always knew Rome was no good. He was just too slick. Woddy taking him out was awesome.

I hate Rome. He was always creepy towards KeyShawn. You think this was the first woman he tried to rape? NOPE. Bye buster!

• Love 4
On 7/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Blakeston said:

I would expect them to call after she left he office. That might be a future plot development.

Yes. Tons of toddlers get nursemaid’s elbow just playing (my godbaby had it a few times when she was younger). But that bruise was HUGE, and in a place I child wouldn’t get from just falling/bumping themselves.

Also- Keyshawn’s kids have melanin, not as much as her, but far more than their dad, the black nurse looked at that bruise, so you know the FORCE it takes for most people of color to bruise like that? I can count on one hand in my 36yrs of life that I have had a visible bruise and haven’t been to donate blood.  That bruise was not from a tiny toddler falling on a toy or from on a tricycle. 

They will be reporting.

• Love 2