Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E01: Keep Your Knife Bright

• Start Topic

Ah it was so nice that this isn't relying on any PG book to tell the story even though in a way it's a continuation of the previous series that were. And how could I tell there was no PG influence (apart from the lack of being giving an inspired by credit) there were conversations between two male characters in power without a powerful woman in ear shot.

I am disappointed that they've decided to make Edward a blonde instead of a redhead. And I admit I'm disappointed that overall they felt they couldn't make Edward the real subject of the series considering he is the ruler, and instead we get a whole lot of puppy dogged eyed Elizabeth moments. But as I've said previously, it's probably cause I'm bored of TV and film thinking the Tudors is either Henry VIII or Elizabeth. I would love to see Edwaard, Jane and Mary really get to shine without having to be framed around Elizabeth as the main character.

I chuckled at the Prologue announcing Mary as a Catholic and Edward as a Protestant and then announcing Elizabeth as just Elizabeth like she is an athiest or something.

I already dislike Edward and at least Thomas seems like a fun character to have around. But I am glad they aged up Elizabeth to avoid the ickiness of the flirtation between her and Thomas. 

There is a good chance I will see this series out unlike The Spanish Princess.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

I'm disappointed that overall they felt they couldn't make Edward the real subject of the series considering he is the ruler, and instead we get a whole lot of puppy dogged eyed Elizabeth moments.

Er... “Becoming Elizabeth”. 😛 But yes, hopefully it won’t dwell on her constantly mooning over him. I suppose they’re trying to show what younger Elizabeth was like before she became tougher. 

I liked it though. It kept my interest. I haven’t seen much of this part of things right after Henry VIII died. 

• Love 3

I’m really enjoying the series thus far. I’m fine with more focus on Elizabeth because of the obvious, but also, we are seeing Mary, Edward and cousin Jane Grey in the immediate aftermath of Henry VIII’s death, a period rarely covered. It’s also interesting to see the wife who survived, Katherine Parr.  Even if it threw me to see Nurse Jenny Lee (Call The Midwife’s Jessica Raine) with the very charismatic Thomas Seymour. 

Edward really is showing shades of his maniacal father, although I liked seeing his closeness early on with Elizabeth when learning of their father’s death. I want to see more scenes between them as well as with Elizabeth and Mary. I don’t mind that he is blond vs a redhead as the actor is a dead ringer for the portraits done of him. 

I’m definitely in for the rest of the series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I’d also like to see a series not as focussed on Elizabeth. There are so many shows out about her already. There is a program called “Edward and Mary: The Unknown Tudors” on Acorn TV (through Amazon) but it’s one of those re-enacted documentaries. Maybe I’ll give it a watch now that my interest is peaked. 

But I did enjoy this episode. Naked Tom Cullen on my screen, for one.  😉 Can’t blame Elizabeth for being so besotted, Thomas is very charismatic. But apparently she wasn’t shrewd enough yet to play her cards right. If she keeps batting her eyes at Thomas in front of Catherine, she’ll be ousted in no time! I don’t care how magnanimous Catherine Parr was, if there’s a chance of losing her man to the young vixen, she’ll turn on Elizabeth. 

Poor Edward, being thrown into such responsibility at age 9. Though they’re depicting him older here. And now he’s turning into a defiant preteen. Good luck with that, Lord Protector!

I’m not sure what Mary Tudor was like before she became queen but she was a lot harder a person than they’re portraying here, at least in later years. Maybe we’ll see how she toughens up as time goes on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I really love the casting here, the actress playing Elizabeth is very convincing playing way below her age (I checked and she's 28), I could even believe she was as young as 15, which isn't far off from the 13 she really was. I do feel a bit weary about the characterization of Catherine Parr, but I might be biased because I only know the actress from Wolf Hall, where she played an excellently poisonous Jane Rochford, which might be carrying over for me. I still don't really like her overtly using Elizabeth as a pawn, all indications from history was that they were in fact very close, Catherine having been her stepmother the longest of them and sharing her interests. I also don't believe she was power hungry beyond wanting to marry Thomas Seymour for love and then being left alone.

Also, Elizabeth talking about marriage without Kat commenting about her vow not to ever marry (which she made as a child and kept on with) did not hit right with me.

But to the good: ROMOLA GARAI!!! I didn't know she was in this, so it was a wonderful surprise, she's a favorite actress of mine. I'd watch a whole series of her as Mary, and hope to see her with Elizabeth soon. I liked the moment when the three siblings are brought together to hear about Henry VIII's death, where first Elizabeth turns to Mary in fear and then after everyone's kneeling Elizabeth and Mary look at each other like, "Ooooh shit is going down."

I'm liking Edward and Jane Grey so much too. Considering the kid was basically a fiery evangelical protestant by the time he hit puberty, I like them establishing him having a backbone early on. I do hope they touch on Jane's difficult homelife, it looks like they want to brush it off, with her saying she'd rather be home.

2 hours ago, ferjy said:

I’m not sure what Mary Tudor was like before she became queen but she was a lot harder a person than they’re portraying here, at least in later years. Maybe we’ll see how she toughens up as time goes on. 

I think we will, but fun fact: one of the things that drove Edward crazy about Mary was that she loved dancing and wearing bright colors, which was appropriate to her Catholic beliefs. The new protestant movement was very much about dressing dourly and not being too merry, so very much not how Mary was acting.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 7
(edited)

While this isn't in the Philippa Gregory cannon, this is clearly the vibe the network wants to go for. Powerful female monarchs, sexy romping political intrigue, sex scandals, all with lots of pretty period clothes. I thought this was a good start, I would like for them to focus more on the non Elizabeth/Henry Tudor's, in some future shows, but this is at least an interesting part of Elizabeth's life to explore and I can see why this would be what they would focus on, the real life ambiguous relationship between Thomas Seymour and teenage Elizabeth really was quite the scandal back in the day and very much ripe for drama. The actress playing young Elizabeth is quite good, she was such cute young girl back then, but you can see the steeliness in her that she will become known for as queen. 

This does at least give us the opportunity to focus on the immediate aftermath of Henry's death, a period that doesn't get a lot of play in pop culture, plus we are at least giving some screen time for young Edward, Lady Jane and the Greys, and Catherine Parr, who was a really interesting person who had way more going on than just being the only wife to outlive Henry. I am not sure about her portrayal here, I hope that they can focus on her motherly relationships with her step children and her intellectual pursuits as well as playing up her half of the sexy love triangle between Thomas and Elizabeth. She was the first woman in England to ever publish a book under her own name! 

The guy playing Thomas Seymour certainly plays up that roguish charm, no wonder young Elizabeth fell under his spell.

The thing that's always trickiest to me when it comes to shows and books featuring the British royalty/nobility is just keeping all of the many Mary's/Thomas's/Edwards/Catherine's apart. I swear, a thousand years of history and only about five names between them. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
On 6/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, tennisgurl said:

She was the first woman in England to ever publish a book under her own name! 

Hell yes she was and that’s why she’s my favorite wife!🥰

I said when they announced this series that one of the parts they just had to get right was Thomas Seymour or it would not work. I’m pleased with his portrayal so far. He is so shady, but we understand why Elizabeth doesn’t think he’s shady. 

• Love 1

I liked the scenes of them gathering up the children and telling them together. The reactions from all three children. I liked that they remembered Mary had red hair. 

I don't mind Catherine turning to Thomas but not that she was having sex with him. That felt a little too soon.

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked the scenes of them gathering up the children and telling them together. The reactions from all three children. I liked that they remembered Mary had red hair. 

I don't mind Catherine turning to Thomas but not that she was having sex with him. That felt a little too soon.

Grief sex is a thing. Probably also relief that he was dead and she was free. Being dowager queen was a very comfortable position!

• Love 1