Type keyword(s) to search

Maggie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

All 13 episodes of Maggie will be released on July 6 on Hulu. 

Maggie-Key-Art-Vertical.jpg

The series follows Maggie, a psychic navigating the dating world. Maggie’s gift allows her to see into the future of her friends, parents, clients and random people on the street. But when she begins to see glimpses of her own destiny after meeting an unexpected stranger, her romantic life suddenly gets a lot more complicated. Can you let yourself fall in love when you think you know how it ends? She probably should have seen this coming.

This show based on the short film called "Maggie" by Tim Curcio.

(L-R) Nichole Sakura   Angelique Cabral  Rebecca Rittenhouse   Chloe Bridges    Leonardo Nam   David Del Rio
MV5BZmMzZmNmODItN2QzMS00YThmLWFlMTQtNzcz

Rebecca Rittenhouse plays Maggie. Quick-witted, charming and soulful, Maggie is a real deal psychic whose visions of the future often complicate her present reality. Due to her psychic gift, she is intensely sensitive and gets a pummeling assault of energy from every person around her. As a result, she has put up emotional walls to protect herself. But underneath this layer of cynical defense, the real Maggie is a huge romantic with a big heart, who just wants to find a way to live what she deems a normal life with normal relationships and ultimately find love. With the help of her close-knit circle of friends and family, Maggie attempts to live like the rest of us do, creating the best future for herself with only the information of the present.

Kerri Kenney as Maria, Maggie’s mother, the kind of person who constantly tells people, “Don’t worry about me, I’m easy!” but neither statement is true. Maria has a strong preoccupation with her daughter’s life, and specifically her love life. She can present as “too involved,” but that ultimately is born out of love and concern for her gifted only child.

MV5BODUwOTlmZTMtYzdkOS00MjVkLWFhOTYtYmMy

Chris Elliott as Jack. Maggie’s dad. Jack is a throwback to the loving-but-unavailable dads of John Hughes movies. His mantra is to smile and nod and not get too involved in any emotional drama…until he shocks everyone by delivering the heartfelt speech at the end of the day.

Nichole Sakura as Louise, Maggie’s best friend since childhood. She is funny, single and ready to mingle, all the time. But make no mistake, Louise gets knocked down repeatedly and somehow she will always get right back up with an even better attitude, full of hope and belief that her life is going to somehow work out.

Ray Ford as Angel, Maggie’s Psychic since she was in the 7th grade. He is her mentor and true friend. Snarky and sarcastic, a little eccentric, often inappropriate, and always very dramatic.

Adam Korson as Daniel, a sweet and self-deprecating Crossfit dropout who charms Maggie with his witty and thoughtful demeanor. Daniel helps Maggie have fun in the present, despite her constant anxieties about the future.

Chloe Bridges as Jessie, Maggie’s neighbor in the duplex. She’s friendly without seeming inauthentic, full of natural kindness and warmth.

MV5BNWUyZTU0ZTMtZjgzNy00NzRjLWE4NjktZjE0

David Del Rio as Ben. Jessie's boyfriend, a gregarious guy, Ben has a heightened energy and is enlivened by new experiences and people. In this way, he’s Maggie’s opposite, but like Maggie, he has a romantic side that he tries to hide behind a sometimes overly confident veneer.

Angelique Cabral as Amy, Ben’s older sister. She’s basically the world’s most uptight hippie. A vegan baker who is all about ethical living and sustainable cooking, Amy’s found herself more caught up in the social media pressures of being a food Instagram star promoting that idea than actually helping the world.

Leonardo Nam as Dave, Amy’s husband. Dave is a cheerfully clueless guy whose goal in life is to “enjoy enjoying things.” In the end, this artist and free spirit just wants everyone to get along and feel good!

(edited)

Maggie     July 6, 2022      Hulu  

Episodes 1-13       Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Things Begin Where They End
maggie_101_rc_04591rt.jpg
Maggie is a romantic comedy about a psychic struggling with her own future, despite her ability to read into everyone else’s. Disheartened with relationships and always foreseeing how things end, Maggie’s life is forever changed when she has a prediction she didn’t see coming.

S01.E02: A New Friendship Awaits You
maggie_102_ll_00506rt.jpg
As Maggie struggles to offer hope to a client, Ben and Jessie’s new presence in the duplex pushes her to move her psychic business out of her home and into a local storefront, where she meets a potential new love interest.

S01.E03: You Are The Master of Your Own Emotions
maggie_103_rc_01327rt.jpg
A tentative Maggie is coerced into a double date by Louise with Daniel and John. After the double date, Louise breaks things off with John based on a face Maggie made while having a vision. Louise ultimately reveals that she’s been making life decisions based on Maggie’s reactions to her visions. Maggie has to work on hiding her “tells” from Louise alongside figuring out if she’s ready to date again.

S01.E04: A Dinner Guest Will Surprise You
maggie_104_ll_01050rt.jpg
maggie_104_ll_00302rt.jpg
Maggie is all set to go on her first fancy date with Daniel but when she gets a vision of a fight on her date, she preemptively cancels. Meanwhile, Amy scoops up a date-less Louise for a couples dinner with Dave, which both parties misunderstand. Ben tries to celebrate an anniversary dinner that Jesse would rather forget, but luckily Maria and Jack are there to help.

S01.E05: You Are A Skilled Mentor by Nature
maggie_105_jf_01554rt.jpg
maggie_105_ll_00389rt.jpg

Maggie mentors a teenager who’s just started having visions, which leads to conflict between Maggie and her mother as Maggie reflects on her own teen years. Amy hits Louise’s car and goes overboard trying to make it up to her.

S01.E06: I See A Baby in Your Future
maggie_106_jf_01056rt.jpg

Maggie’s pursuit of a vision involving Ben causes Amy and Dave to get addicted to her readings. Meanwhile, Ben struggles to find joy going through boxes from his childhood with Jessie and Louise. With Ben stuck in the past and Amy and Dave suddenly obsessed with the future, Maggie must figure out how to use her powers responsibly, which inevitably helps all of them figure out how to live in the present.

S01.E07: You Will Have a Night to Remember
maggie_107_th_02447rt.jpg
When Maggie introduces Daniel to her parents on her birthday, it goes worse than she ever could have predicted.

S01.E08: Your Past Will Inform Your Present
maggie_108_bc_01762rt.jpg
Maggie and Louise get a second chance at prom when Ben invites them to help him chaperone at his school. The girls are excited to have a do-over, considering their real prom was such a bust. During flashbacks to their 2007 prom, we see young Maggie and Louise struggling as awkward teens while their guidance counselor, a younger Angel, comes out as a psychic. Back at present-day prom, Maggie is still reeling from her breakup with Daniel and is wounded by all the teen love she encounters. Meanwhile, Louise, narcing on young entrepreneurs, starts questioning her life choices. Maggie is taken out of her low moment when she and Ben share a charged moment on the dance floor but is reminded that she and Ben still aren’t meant to be together.

S01.E09: You Will Help Someone Take a Chance
maggie_109_rl_01462rt.jpg
Maggie grapples with putting herself out there at her job. Without a sign or any advertisement at her storefront, she gets countless confused walk-ins and must overcome her fears of owning who she is. At the same time, she must help her mom rediscover who she is after Maria quits her job and gets into tarot reading. Louise, on the hunt for a new roommate, finds the perfect candidate, but can’t decide if he’d make a better boyfriend or a better roommate.

S01.E10: A Mysterious Invitation Awaits You
maggie_110_rc_00471rt.jpg
Maggie is excited to receive an invitation to a fancy gathering for mystics only. Meanwhile, Louise hands over control of her dating apps to Jessie, Ben, Amy and Dave.

S01.E11: You Will Experience A Loss
bbe24d08-a063-4447-8598-1b4741f46e9c?bas

Maggie is excited about Amy's bachelorette weekend getaway. She's been inundated with visions and needs a break.

S01.E12: The Fortune You Seek Is In Another Cookie
7ae1431c-41f8-4851-85cd-6051886a2cae?bas

It's been a week since Maggie lost her visions and she hasn't gotten any clarity. Desperate, she goes through the stages of grief and tries everything she can to get them back.

S01.E13: Things End Where They Began

(Season Finale)
19134a80-c385-4e4a-b5f7-2289ce3837e9?bas

Having accepted the loss of her visions, Maggie looks forward to Amy and Dave's wedding. But everything goes downhill at the rehearsal dinner when Jessie reveals that she knows the secret the whole group has been hiding.

Edited by AnimeMania
(edited)

This show is light, cute and quirky! Like it. ☺️

Binge-watched this because of Rebecca Rittenhouse. Love her in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Maggie’s role is made for her. And Maggie’s wardrobes are to die for! ❤️

Maggie’s interactions with Louise and Angel are fun to watch, great dynamics. Kudos to the actors and their chemistry. Angel does have some great and catchy lines.

Ben is so dull, nothing is interesting about him. Maybe it’s just the actor, lack of charisma.

Don’t really like the actresses who play Jessie and Maria (Maggie’s mom). Their characters are annoying, not funny or charming at all.

Am I hoping for season 2? Not really. But if it’s renewed, I will watch it, just because of Maggie.

Found this song from S01/E11, love it! 😘

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Binge-watched this because of Rebecca Rittenhouse. Love her in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Maggie’s role is made for her

SD, I too watched this show for Rebecca Rittenhouse but I knew her from “Red Band Society” & “Blood & Oil”.  I had never heard of “Four Weddings and a Funeral” (other than the movie). So because of you, I watched it on Hulu & I LOVED it! Thanks!

• Wink 1
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

SD, I too watched this show for Rebecca Rittenhouse but I knew her from “Red Band Society” & “Blood & Oil”.  I had never heard of “Four Weddings and a Funeral” (other than the movie). So because of you, I watched it on Hulu & I LOVED it! Thanks!

No biggie HJ, am glad you loved it. It’s witty with great cast and catchy soundtracks. 

Am not a fan of teen drama but I will check out Blood and Oil later. Hey, thanks for the suggestion! ☺️

• Love 1
(edited)

It's a cute breezy fun series to watch. 

It actually it's like a better version of how I met your father than what they actually created.  

I'm about halfway through the season and not sure how it ends but will say. 

Spoiler

Ben is not all wrong in what he says. Whether he believes in her visions or not, she relies too much on them and often overinterprets the snippets she sees. She sees the future but not the whole picture and focuses too much on her narrow literal interpretation of them. And you'd think after dealing with this for well over a decade, probably 15 years now, she would have long ago discovered this herself and learned the lessons from it. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 4
(edited)

This was a cute series.  It's normally not my type of show, as I find these "Friends"-type ensemble, rom-com, type shows are usually so poorly written and acted that they're painful to watch.  But this was really well done.  I honestly don't think I've seen any of the cast, with the exception of Nicole Sakura and Chris Elliot, in anything else.  And Chris Elliot is not a selling point for me.  I think this is the first thing I've seen him in that I'm not muting or fast forwarding through his scenes.  (Schitt's Creek, I'm talking to you!)  The woman who played Maggie's mom reminded me of Mary Steenbergen in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. Those two could easily play sisters. 

I think the weak links in casting were Ben and Jessie, and I never really cared about their relationship.  I loved seeing Nicole Sakura again - loved her in Superstore, and so glad she wasn't playing just another ditzy girl. 

What really surprised me about liking this show is that I normally really dislike any show that portrays psychics as a real thing. It's such a scam industry, and so many people are bilked out of money that they can't afford to lose.  So I really don't like when even fictional shows give them credibility.  I would have liked more than one person in the entire cast to have had some doubts, but Dan was sitting at a table of one on that topic, and it got him booted out of the whole group for it.  I would have hoped there would have been room for someone who simply says, nah, I just don't believe that exists.  But I understand for the show to work, Maggie's inner circle has to fully believe in her, so eh, I can let it pass.

If they run a second season, I'll watch.  But I won't be heartbroken if this is a one and done deal, either. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this. It was a pretty breezy watch. If it comes back, I'll watch it.

Unless they decide to publicize viewership, it is difficult to predict whether Hulu will cancel or renew Maggie for season two. This show was ordered to series by ABC back in May 2021 and was expected to air on the alphabet network during the 2021-22 broadcast season. By January of this year, the comedy had been moved to Hulu, supposedly because ABC didn’t have room for it on the schedule. Hulu finally got around to launching the series 14 months after it was ordered. The show clearly hasn’t been a priority for either outlet and I suspect the cast’s contact options have now expired. I’d be surprised if this show was renewed. I’ll keep my ears open and an eye out for news, and will update this page with breaking developments.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/maggie-season-two-has-the-hulu-comedy-series-been-cancelled-or-renewed-yet/

Okay, I just finished this - started watching it last month because I was looking for something light and breezy and it delivered. After the pilot, I was a bit unsure because of how... bright it looked - like a 90s multi-camera sitcom. I gave it another shot and I liked it. After the birthday episode I was hooked! 

I hope this gets renewed, since this was an enjoyable little show. I hadn't seen any of the other cast aside from Chris Elliott prior to this - Maggie's mother reminded me of if Mary Steenburgen and Maria Bamford had a baby, she is what the baby would look like.

I won't be crushed if this gets cancelled, but I would be annoyed, since this was such a light and fluffy comedy.

Also, with the last few episodes, I was expecting that

Spoiler

Maggie lost her visions due to a psychic "muscle strain" since she was practically in the middle of a mosh pit doing that dancing in the bar

I really liked the lead actress - she seems familiar, but I do not know from what. The actor playing Ben was a bit bland, but hopefully he improves either next season or in the next thing I see him in. I really liked Amy & Dave, I expected to find them really annoying (especially after the episode where Louise drove Amy around), but it worked! We got just the right dose of them.

The prom episode was great - I graduated HS in 2008, so they definitely nailed that time right (oh god that makes me sound so old). I am surprised they didn't try to squeeze in any pop culture references like myspace (which was pretty much dead at the time, but it's media, they usually reference stuff like that as long as it is the general time period).

• Like 1

I started watching this because I was in the mood for something lighter. I wasn't expecting too much but am really liking it so far. Justin Adler and Maggie Mull did Life in Pieces, which had some good moments. And I loved Rebecca Rittenhouse in Four Weddings, as well as Nichole Sakura in Superstore. 

• Like 1

It was better than 90% of the stuff I have been watching lately. American Horror Stories on Hulu was a total stinker, but I bet it will be renewed. I heard that "Reboot" coming September 20 on Hulu is supposed to be funny.    

• Like 1

Damn, this was a fun little show. Maybe Reboot will be fun.

2 hours ago, twoods said:

I guess it wasn’t sexy enough for them or something? What a bummer- I really enjoyed it and wish there were more shows like that to watch on streaming services.

From what I was reading, it had only premiered in the US on Hulu. It was going to roll out to Disney+ internationally sometime in the future.

• Useful 1
On 9/10/2022 at 2:56 PM, bros402 said:

Damn, this was a fun little show. Maybe Reboot will be fun.

From what I was reading, it had only premiered in the US on Hulu. It was going to roll out to Disney+ internationally sometime in the future.

It was on Disney+ here in Australia  - just finished it last night. DAMN!

So a cute well written show created by Martin Mull's daughter (she inherited her dad's creative vision for sure) gets canceled...yet other lesser shows get renewed?

I'm wondering if Hulu inheriting the show from ABC doomed it to being a 1 season wonder.

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So a cute well written show created by Martin Mull's daughter (she inherited her dad's creative vision for sure) gets canceled...yet other lesser shows get renewed?

I'm wondering if Hulu inheriting the show from ABC doomed it to being a 1 season wonder.

I think that is what happened - since the options expired a few months before premiere