Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Barbary Coast

• Start Topic

On 6/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, tessathereaper said:

He basically turns around and does the same to Ryan.  So the cycle continues. I mean it's obviously beyond what Mallory just said, because it's due to his father and how he was raised but it's interesting how she insulted him about his father then Butcher turned around and did something similar to Ryan.

A lot is going on in that scene. He is sick from the V, there is that, so he is having it immediately brought home to him what a stupid and possibly final thing he has done. Mallory is one of the few people he respects and she tells him he is damaging Ryan, which confirms what he is currently thinking (what with the 'V' and all) so he makes sure the relationship he's started with Ryan is over, before he can do any real damage.

• Like 6

The most disturbing thing about this episode was little Starlight's dance at the beginning. I just kept saying, omg, this is horrible. What's scariest is that I'm sure that actually happens somewhere. 

Sorry, to cute little Timothy. I'm sorry you got eaten but The Deep is an idiot. Don't feel sorry for him at all. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

They didn't do their research regarding Timothy. In almost all species of octopus, the males start degenerating into senescence immediately after mating. They stop eating, stop renewing tissues, develop lesions and quite literally fall apart within weeks. Timothy never would have known his kids, he'd have died long before they hatched.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

They didn't do their research regarding Timothy. In almost all species of octopus, the males start degenerating into senescence immediately after mating. They stop eating, stop renewing tissues, develop lesions and quite literally fall apart within weeks. Timothy never would have known his kids, he'd have died long before they hatched.

I saw that on a vid on Youtube a few weeks ago. It said that the males rarely make it to a year after they mate.

5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Female octopi (octopuses?) also die soon after laying their eggs.  Sex = Death.  😲

• Useful 4
2 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Female octopi (octopuses?) also die soon after laying their eggs.  Sex = Death.  😲

I saw that too! The vid said that they spend all of their time watching over their eggs and by the time that they hatch the mothers are dying from lack of food. It seems that they're doomed from birth whether they're male or female. 

• Sad 3
  • Useful 2
On 6/3/2022 at 7:30 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I get why Homelander is an egomaniac and needs love/adoration like air, but I really don't get why he has to be a sadistic prick along the way.

Because he's a psychopath.  He has no human empathy and no value for the lives of others.  He sees himself as a god and people and animals are his playthings.  He has zero love or compassion for anyone but himself, and will destroy anyone who threatens his personal happiness.  Homelander is the definition of psychotic evil.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 6/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, Bergamot said:

I was like, omg, is he really going to eat Timothy?! NOOO!! Timothy is his friend! He has kids! He is praying and begging for his life!

That was horrible. 🤢 Of all the over-the-top things we saw in these first 3 episodes, for some reason that was the one time I had to look away from the screen. I couldn't watch!

I don't know how sorry I felt for the Deep though. It was his choice. Deep seems almost likable sometimes, and he is always getting pushed around, but when you come right down to it, he was willing to swallow his friend alive for the opportunity to be in The Seven. That's who he is.

I think that scene was powerful and traumatic, even more so than the whale scene and the dolphin scene. The actor brings a lot to that character in terms of desperation and pathos.

They are really pushing the sell your soul for power and glory aspect of being a superhero this season with several of the characters. We even saw it with CC who will literally do anything for adulation.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, tessathereaper said:

He basically turns around and does the same to Ryan.  So the cycle continues. I mean it's obviously beyond what Mallory just said, because it's due to his father and how he was raised but it's interesting how she insulted him about his father then Butcher turned around and did something similar to Ryan.

I agree, he was raging, but I also think it's because he's insecure.  Most toxic masculinity is underscored by insecurity. Men who are actually secure generally aren't toxic.  Insecurity isn't an excuse for those actions, just a reason behind them.

I think he did it because he was not in control of his powers and he needed to get out of there. Also Ryan would be in danger if Homelander connected them. It was calculated. 

• Useful 1
On 6/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, Affogato said:

I feel bad about this post. If I leave it at that, anyway. There is more that needs to be said.

Look, Butcher and Homelander are both pretty abusive guys. We learn about their backgrounds, which are different. Butcher maybe tries to walk away from Ryan before he becomes what he hates about Homelander. Homelander hasn't had enough in his life to be able to even venture to empathise with someone, Butcher had some advantages.

Now Chase is an abused person. We can assume he was heavily bullied because, freak. Homelander uses and abuses him, His church and his wife and his friends use and abuse him. It doesn't make him a nice person at all, but he doesn't have a lot of power in this situation. It can be way to easy to feel sympathetic when someone abuses someone who does horrible things themselves, or when someone abuses someone and, as in this case, they cave to the more powerful person, but it is still abuse and it is important to look at the power dynamic.

Chase and Timothy are both victims, here.

I think the actor is incredibly strong in this role and agree. He could end up being pivotal if he finds the strength to stand up for himself.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:40 AM, CletusMusashi said:

As far as I'm concerned, fuck The Deep.. I mean, he's not a monster on the level of Homelander, but no matter how sympathetically he is written or acted, at the end of the day he is all about himself. Every sea creature "friend" we've seen him with with dies horribly, and he shrugs it off and goes right back to using somebody else. Timothy was literally only living in that aquarium because The Deep took him out of the ocean and brought him there? And what sort of non-living-marine-life-octopus-food was Deep going to feed him anyway? Crabmeat-flavored Fancy feast? And, in addition to the narcissism, he's a fool. I mean, I can understand being trapped in a contract with The Seven and living every day of your life in terror of what Homelander might do to you next if he becomes increasingly annoyed. But Deep was out. And he was doing perfectly well financially. His book sales were high enough for him to be doing TV interviews. I pay my bills perfectly well without working for The Seven. Maybe he himself could try working a real job. But no. The entire time he was out, all he fucking wanted was to go back the The Seven. Okay, well, you're back now. Spoiler Alert: Homelander did not magically turn into a nice guy while you were gone.

He was pretty torn up about the whale.

This episode actually brings something interesting that I have been thinking for a while. As far as we know, there is no kryptonite-like substance for Homelander, is there? Meaning that Homelander really is an all too powerful being without any physical weakness. So what stops Homelander to lay waste to the whole world if he wants to, considering the egomaniac he is? Why does he defer to Edgar?

1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

This episode actually brings something interesting that I have been thinking for a while. As far as we know, there is no kryptonite-like substance for Homelander, is there? Meaning that Homelander really is an all too powerful being without any physical weakness. So what stops Homelander to lay waste to the whole world if he wants to, considering the egomaniac he is? Why does he defer to Edgar?

I think because, at the point of this episode anyway, he is still craving "love", the adoration of the public at large. He can't go around wiping people/cities out anonymously, and he won't risk being anything less than perfect in the eyes of the world. When the definition of "hero" changes, so will he. 

• Like 1
(edited)

He has enough mental weaknesses to make up for the lack of physical ones.

Even then, I think most screenwriters have a very poor idea of what advanced military grade weaponry can actually do when they're claiming that someone is invulnerable. When they think of bombs/artillery fire they tend to envision this:

main-qimg-5fc5e26125377e4a0476b7c535440e

and not this:

https://i.imgur.com/MHImUAt.mp4

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Useful 1