Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Tuffy

AntFTW
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How did Frank lose his job?  Either I missed a scene or forgot it.

They didn't show him losing his job but he did explain that they let him go because he was "becoming too much of a distraction."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So I just finished watching this series and wondered, are they going fir a second season or does it just end with Martha realizing she's been ambushed and is walking into a heatjng with no audience to buffer her? 

6 hours ago, gingerella said:

So I just finished watching this series and wondered, are they going fir a second season or does it just end with Martha realizing she's been ambushed and is walking into a heatjng with no audience to buffer her? 

There are still 2 episodes left

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

There are still 2 episodes left

Thanks. I just googled it and some reports say its a one season, 10 epis, others say 8 epis.

This one was tough to watch. The whole story about Wills was just sad. This guy is a hero and gets awards and no tangible job reward. It's tokenism at it's finest. As my husband says even today, don't thank me (with an award), just pay me. Glad he found Tuffy before he left on the bus though, that was a satisfying end, if that is indeed the end of his story line here.

I keep going back and forth with Martha and John, does he really love her or not? It started out as such, but throwing her to the wolves in that last hearing room scene was cold as ice.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 6
On 5/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, gingerella said:

I keep going back and forth with Martha and John, does he really love her or not? It started out as such, but throwing her to the wolves in that last hearing room scene was cold as ice.

And also what's up with his secretary?  She has abominable taste in men.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

This was such a great episode. Will's story is heartbreaking and I love that they featured it prominently in the series - it shows how ordinary people can sometimes get caught up in the machinery of big historical events. Was so relieved that Tuffy found his way back to him.

I know nothing about John Dean, but I'm curious to know how close the portrayal of him is to reality, because although it's hilarious, it is NOT flattering. Betty Gilpin is just killing it as Mo.

I initially thought Julia was miscast as Martha, as they look nothing alike, but her performance has really grown on me.

Goodness, I wanted a dragon rice bowl with secret sauce after watching this!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Betty Gilpin killed it in that scene where she tells John Dean to man up. Nuanced and powerful and that closing line omg. Great performance this week. 

I don't get this whole John Dean characterization. I've seen videos of him and he is nothing like the goofy nerdy neurotic character portrayed in this show. Does the real John Dean (one of the only ones still alive) approve?

I have questions:

Was that supposed to be Hillary Clinton with Elijah Cummings in the Frank and Janelle bar scene?

What was in the envelope Mitchell handed to Senator Gurney on the golf course?

What is the real reason Mitchell wants Martha to have a closed hearing? He implied it was because with an audience they'd be polite and they'd only go hard on her in a closed hearing (not sure I buy that; people going in for the kill like to show off on camera), but it seems to me less about protecting Nixon and more about humiliating Martha by taking away her audience, which she craves--truly diabolical. Or is it both? 

Was Lurline played by Courtney Cox? I have to say, that forehead bit kind of fell flat, as Lurline's forehead was just as big as Martha's and neither of them are that big really.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:55 AM, Aqua said:

Was that supposed to be Hillary Clinton with Elijah Cummings in the Frank and Janelle bar scene?

I totally missed Elijah Cummings! But I did catch Hillary. It was subtle, but the giveaway was that closed-captioning called her "Hillary" (with a double L). The glasses were on point for all the old photos of HRC. 

I'm just catching up on these episodes, but I'm really enjoying this series. As a cat parent, though, my anxiety was through the roof during this one! So happy he found Tuffy at the end! I thought for sure he would get on the bus, and THEN the cat would show up and sadly watch him leave. Glad to be wrong!

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I'm just catching up on these episodes, but I'm really enjoying this series. As a cat parent, though, my anxiety was through the roof during this one! So happy he found Tuffy at the end! I thought for sure he would get on the bus, and THEN the cat would show up and sadly watch him leave. Glad to be wrong!

I wonder if that part is true?

1 hour ago, Aqua said:

I have a feeling it was probably an embellishment for TV, but it was an effective through-line for the episode, and made me feel for the Frank Wills character even more - his story was so frustrating and sad.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:55 PM, Aqua said:

I don't get this whole John Dean characterization. I've seen videos of him and he is nothing like the goofy nerdy neurotic character portrayed in this show. Does the real John Dean (one of the only ones still alive) approve?

The portrayal definitely isn't flattering (but quite funny), and I was also wondering if there was any accuracy to it. If he had any involvement with the production he can't be very pleased. I do think both Dean & Mo enjoyed the media spotlight a great deal back in the day, so the show probably got that aspect right.

I was really impressed with this whole series and wish it had gotten more attention. Hope it gets some Emmy love.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

I was really impressed with this whole series and wish it had gotten more attention. Hope it gets some Emmy love.

I think Sean Penn is a shoo-in and Julia Roberts probably too.

• Love 2
On 8/20/2022 at 10:04 PM, Aqua said:

I checked his Wikipedia entry. He did move back in with his mom eventually and he had cats. I'm guessing that the Tuffy story itself might have been invented, but was a nod to his real love for cats.

• Love 2