Type keyword(s) to search

Barbie (2023)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

On 11/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, Mrsmaul2021 said:

I am finally watching this movie and the gold jumpsuit she wears at the party is very similar to a Barbie I had in the early 80's 

9b0de4b5cfe76f2f08c51a97aa9c224c.jpg.7eea9383e224bdc91283b47766323d91.jpgb7d62cfbe328f825e4541d9426638f3e.jpg.8408a02548f9c442eee25db9422637b3.jpg

Golden Dreams Barbie! I had her, too. And Pink 'n Pretty Barbie. (Yes, I remember the names!)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

This Was the Year That Greta Gerwig Saved Hollywood
BY KATE ERBLAND   DECEMBER 18, 2023 
https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/the-year-that-greta-gerwig-saved-hollywood-barbie-1234934689/ 

To fully appreciate the financial success of Greta Gerwig’s zeitgeist-shifting smash hit “Barbie,” let’s briefly consider some of the other heavy-hitters it trounced at the box office: John Wick, Indiana Jones, Transformers, the “Fast and Furious” family, and The Flash. The number-one film of the year may have sprung from beloved (slight shudder here) intellectual property, but Gerwig (along with her personal and professional partner, co-writer Noah Baumbach) so wholly transformed the iconic doll, shaping a new mythos around her in the process, that nothing about “Barbie” felt been-there or done-that in the slightest.

While Hollywood’s affection for — and attention to — the kind of franchise features that used to regularly top the box office charts is on the decline, the success of “Barbie,” the sort of fresh take on seemingly old material that should inspire and instruct an entire generation of filmmakers, offering a new roadmap for what can be a smash hit. Or, more bluntly: Gerwig and her “Barbie” saved Hollywood this year, and she did it by doing something that the big-screen bigwigs too often ignore, which is being original even within potentially tight parameters (a movie about a doll?).

Jane Fonda Honors America Ferrera—And Does the Barbie Speech
BY SCOTT HUVER    DECEMBER 1, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/12/jane-fonda-america-ferrera-women-in-film 

“I’ve seen lots of videos online of people learning the monologue and doing the monologue,” Ferrera told Vanity Fair at the Women in Film Honors, presented by Max Mara on Thursday, where she received the Jane Fonda Humanitarian Award. “The only person I’ve heard do it verbatim was Ariana Greenblatt, the actress who played my daughter. She had heard it so many times by the end of filming it that she repeated it back to me—and it actually made me cry!”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Barbie | Musical Make-Believe: Disco Party | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Dec 29, 2023

The Best Cinematography of 2023
BY JIM HEMPHILL   DECEMBER 18, 2023
https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-cinematography-of-2023/ 

"Barbie"
The cinematography of “Barbie” is everything. It is as varied and as joyous as all the cinematic inspirations coursing through the Greta Gerwig film’s DNA and as much of a technical challenge to pull off as anything coated in prestige instead of pink. Cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto gets to do his Terrence Malick/the living miracle of trees thing when Barbie (Margot Robbie) goes to The Real World and meets Ann Roth. But the camera in Barbie Land treats life in plastic with the same color-dense artistry and wonder that make Jacques Demy films like stepping into a painting, only more. This is to say nothing of the multiple musical numbers, Tati-esque chases, and an in-between world of both white void and riotous color that would make The Archers proud. The most wonderful and impressive part, though, is that all of the film’s different looks, references, and approaches to its characters fit in the same box. That is down to Prieto, who steadily and beautifully expands the film’s visual language as Barbie experiences a growing awareness of humanity (and Ken). —Sarah Shachat

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Finally saw the movie over Christmas!  In the movie, there seems to be only one Barbie of every Barbie ever made (ditto with Ken).  What happens if one, say, Ballerina Barbie was destroyed by her owner (or an owner’s friend/awful sibling), she becomes Weird Barbie?  Thinking too much?  Probably, right?

Edited by PRgal

Saw this the other day, I thought it was fun and enjoyable enough.  I thought it went a little off the rails when it got into all the battle of the sexes stuff.  Not sure what to think about that.  This was the highest grossing movie of 2023.  I wonder how much of this was because of the franchise, and how much because of the gender issues?

Barbie got 2 nominations for 2024 Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards...

Nominations Announced for 11th Annual Guild Awards
IATSE Local 706    January 2, 2024
https://local706.org/nominations-for-11th-annual-guild-awards/

The Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild has announced nominations for the 2024 MUAHS Guild Awards. Winners will be honored at the awards gala, presented by Ardell, on Sunday, February 18, 2024 at Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA. The MUAHS Awards represent a spectrum of outstanding achievements in 23 categories of make-up and hair styling artistry in motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and live theater. The announcement was made by Julie Socash, IATSE Local 706 President.

• Useful 1

Barbie won 8 Astra Awards, which were previously known as the HCA Awards (after the Hollywood Critics Association rebranded itself as the Hollywood Creative Alliance)...

‘Barbie’ Wins 8 Astra Awards from Hollywood Creative Alliance (HCA)
Erik Anderson January 6, 2024 
https://awardswatch.com/barbie-wins-8-astra-awards-from-hollywood-creative-alliance-hca/ 

The Hollywood Creative Alliance (HCA) 2024 ASTRA Film Awards were announced tonight live from the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles where Barbie dominated with eight wins: Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Song, Best Production Design, Best Publicity Campaign, and Best Casting. 
Best Picture: “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Best Actress – TIE: Lily Gladstone – “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films) and Margot Robbie – “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Best Supporting Actor: Ryan Gosling – “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Best Original Screenplay: “Barbie,” Written by Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Best Original Song: “I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie,” Written by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt – Performed by Ryan Gosling (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Best Casting: Allison Jones & Lucy Bevan, “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Best Production Design  : Sarah Greenwood & Katie Spencer, “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Best Publicity Campaign: “Barbie” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

(edited)

Barbie got 1 nomination for 2024 Costume Designers Guild Awards... 

Costume Designers Guild Reveals 2024 CDGA Nominations: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’ & More
By Erik Pedersen     January 4, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/costume-designers-guild-awards-2024-nominations-1235694710/ 

... The 26th CDGA ceremony is set for Wednesday, February 21, at NeueHouse Hollywood.

Also, Barbie got 1 nomination from the Set Decorators Society of America for its SDSA Film Awards 2023...

https://www.setdecorators.org/sites/setdecorators/pdf/2023_SDSA_Awards_Film_Press_Release_Nominations_Annoucement_1-5-24.pdf 
SDSA AWARDS FILM 2023 NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

LOS ANGELES, January 5, 2024—The Set Decorators Society of America, An International Organization, announces the nominations for the SDSA Awards Film 2023, celebrating excellence in the art of Set Decoration for films released in 2023, selected from four (4) categories.
Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Fantasy or Science Fiction Film
BARBIE
Set Decoration by Katie Spencer SDSA with Production Design by Sarah Greenwood
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
Set Decoration by Rosemary Brandenburg SDSA with Production Design by Beth Mickle
THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES
Set Decoration by Sabine Schaaf with Production Design by Uli Hanisch
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
Set Decoration by Anna Pinnock with Production Design by Adam Stockhausen
WONKA
Set Decoration by Lee Sandales with Production Design by Nathan Crowley

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Barbie got 4 nominations for SAG Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 30th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®
The SAG Awards® Ceremony will Stream Live Globally Saturday, Feb. 24 Only on Netflix

January 10, 2024
https://www.sagawards.org/media/news/releases/nominations-announced-30th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awardsr

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role 
ANNETTE BENING / Diana Nyad - "NYAD" 
LILY GLADSTONE / Mollie Burkhart - "KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON" 
CAREY MULLIGAN / Felicia Montealegre - "MAESTRO" 
MARGOT ROBBIE / Barbie - "BARBIE" 
EMMA STONE / Bella Baxter - "POOR THINGS"

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role 
STERLING K. BROWN / Clifford Ellison - "AMERICAN FICTION" 
WILLEM DAFOE / Godwin Baxter - "POOR THINGS" 
ROBERT DE NIRO / William Hale - "KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON" 
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. / Lewis Strauss - "OPPENHEIMER" 
RYAN GOSLING / Ken - "BARBIE"
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture 
AMERICAN FICTION ...
BARBIE ...
THE COLOR PURPLE ...
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON ...
OPPENHEIMER ...
The Stunt Ensemble Honors Nominees are: 
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
BARBIE
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie was nominated for an Art Directors Guild Award and a Cinema Audio Society Award... 

Art Directors Guild Awards Nominees: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ & More
By Erik Pedersen    Jan 9, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/art-directors-guild-awards-2024-nominees-list-1235700210/ 

Winners will be announced February 10 at Ovation Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom. The late production designer Lawrence G. Paull, a Blade Runner Oscar nominee whose credits also include Back to the Future and Romancing the Stone, will be inducted into the ADG Hall of Fame during the ceremony. 

Cinema Audio Society Unveils Nominations for the 60th Annual Awards, Recognizing Excellence in Sound Mixing for 2023
JANUARY 9, 2024    WRITTEN BY: CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY
https://cinemaaudiosociety.org/cinema-audio-society-unveils-nominations-for-the-60th-annual-awards-recognizing-excellence-in-sound-mixing-for-2023/ 

The 60th CAS Awards will be held on Saturday, March 2, 2024 at the Beverly Hilton. Tickets will be available at www.cinemaaudiosociety.org on Monday, January 15th.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I feel like I’m one of the last people to see this, but I finally watched it. My sisters and I had Barbies and played with them a fair amount. We also got to play with our mom’s and aunt’s dolls, so I picked up on a lot of the older references and outfits. My aunt had Alan with that striped beach shirt from the movie and Skipper with that red and white dress. (She also has the original Barbie in excellent condition with the box — we weren’t allowed to play with that one.)

Though my Barbie play usually involved solving murder mysteries and foiling international espionage plots. Murder She Wrote viewings and my grandmother’s extensive British mystery collection that filled the bookshelves in my aunt’s old room might have been an influence…

Anyway, I absolutely loved the movie. It was fun and beautiful to look at with a lot of heart and a message that really resonated with me. So much these days frustrates and depresses me and I found the girl power (without being anti-man) message uplifting.

Other thoughts:

1) I thought the little blonde girl in the beginning was abso-freakin-lutely adorable.

2) I actually enjoyed the bumbling Mattel guys. Yes, they were morons. But I liked that they weren’t exactly villains and that, despite the focus on profits, Will Ferrell ultimately cared about little girls (“in the least creepy way possible”).

3) I had heard of Margot Robbie, but never saw her in anything. She was incredible. Funny when she needed to be, warm, charming and utterly heartbreaking. I loved her moment with the elderly lady. But the part that stuck with me was when the Barbies reinstated their constitution. She was happy, but also melancholy, knowing she no longer really belonged.

Barbie went from the immature, child-like person to more experienced, sadder but wiser character. She grew up. And there’s something beautiful, but sad about that.

I’m going to have to watch this again. And again. I also live in a boy house, so I’m hoping I can get Hubby to watch so I can actually share it with someone.

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 4
(edited)

‘Oppenheimer’ Leads Critics Choice Awards With 8 Wins, ‘Barbie’ Scores 6 — Full Winners List
By Ethan Shanfeld   Jan 14, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/critics-choice-awards-2024-winners-list-1235870581/ 

“Barbie” followed behind with six wins, including best comedy and best song (“I’m Just Ken”).
Best Original Screenplay
WINNER: Barbie — Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach
Air — Alex Convery
The Holdovers – David Hemingson
Maestro — Bradley Cooper, Josh Singer
May December — Samy Burch
Past Lives — Celine Song
Best Production Design
WINNER: Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer – Barbie
Suzie Davies, Charlotte Dirickx – Saltburn
Ruth De Jong, Claire Kaufman – Oppenheimer
Jack Fisk, Adam Willis – Killers of the Flower Moon
James Price, Shona Heath, Szusza Mihalek – Poor Things
Adam Stockhausen, Kris Moran – Asteroid City
Best Costume Design
WINNER: Jacqueline Durran – Barbie
Lindy Hemming – Wonka
Francine Jamison-Tanchuck – The Color Purple
Holly Waddington – Poor Things
Jacqueline West – Killers of the Flower Moon
Janty Yates, David Crossman – Napoleon

Best Hair and Makeup
WINNER: Barbie
The Color Purple
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Priscilla
Best Comedy
WINNER: Barbie
American Fiction
Bottoms
The Holdovers
No Hard Feelings
Poor Things
Best Original Song
WINNER: “I’m Just Ken” – Barbie
“Dance the Night” – Barbie
“Peaches” – The Super Mario Bros. Movie
“Road to Freedom” – Rustin
“This Wish” – Wish
“What Was I Made For” – Barbie

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie got a PGA nomination (winners announced on Feb. 25)...

With Producers Guild Nominations, the Oscar Picture Gets Clearer
By Kyle Buchanan   Jan 12, 2024
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/12/movies/producers-guild-award-nominations-barbie-oppenheimer.html

Also, Barbie got an Artios Award nomination (winners announced on Mar. 7)...

Casting Society Artios Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ Among Nominees
BY TYLER COATES    JANUARY 12, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-artios-awards-movie-nominations-list-1235786254/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

On Jan. 12, the American Film Institute honored 10 movies (including Barbie) and 10 TV shows as the Best of 2023...

AFI AWARDS Event Honors the Year’s Best Motion Pictures and Television Programs
January 12, 2024
https://www.afi.com/news/afi-awards-event-honors-the-years-best-motion-pictures-and-television-programs/ 

AFI MOTION PICTURES OF THE YEAR

AMERICAN FICTION

BARBIE

THE HOLDOVERS

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

MAESTRO

MAY DECEMBER

OPPENHEIMER

PAST LIVES

POOR THINGS

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie got 2 nominations for MPSE Golden Reel Awards...

Motion Picture Sound Editors Reveal 2024 MPSE Golden Reel Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’ Leads Movie Field
By Erik Pedersen   Jan 16, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/golden-reel-awards-2024-nominations-list-mpse-1235791970/ 

Both will be presented during the 2024 MPSE Golden Reel Awards ceremony on Sunday, March 3, at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles.
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING – FEATURE DIALOGUE / ADR

Barbie
Warner Bros.

Killers of the Flower Moon
AppleTV+

Maestro
Netflix

Napoleon
AppleTV+

Oppenheimer
Universal Pictures

Poor Things
Searchlight Pictures
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC EDITING – FEATURE MOTION PICTURE

Barbie
Warner Bros.

Creed III
Amazon / MGM
Maestro
Netflix
Oppenheimer
Universal Pictures

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Sony Pictures

Wonka
Warner Bros.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie got 5 nominations for 2024 BAFTA Film Awards...

BAFTA Film Awards Nominations: ‘Oppenheimer’ and ‘Poor Things’ Lead as ‘Barbie’ Falls Short
By Alex Ritman, Ellise Shafer   Jan 18, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/awards/global/bafta-film-awards-nominations-2024-1235876088/ 

But for all the achievements of “Oppenheimer” and “Poor Things,” the biggest talking point is likely to be the snubbing of Greta Gerwig’s box office destroying cultural phenomenon “Barbie” across so many categories.

The film went into the nominations tied with both “Oppenheimer” and “Killers of the Flower Moon” with 15 Longlist slots. But on Thursday, it emerged with just five of these having transferred into nominations. Margot Robbie has a leading actress nod and Ryan Gosling is among the best supporting actors, but there’s no room in either best film or director, something likely to raise more than a few eyebrows.
The BAFTA Film Awards ceremony takes place Feb. 18 from London’s Royal Festival Hall, with “Doctor Who” star David Tennant hosting.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie got 8 nominations for Oscar Awards...

Oscar nominations 2024: See the full list
By Lisa Respers France    January 23, 2024
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html 

The Oscars will take place on March 10, hosted for a fourth time by Jimmy Kimmel.
Best picture
“American Fiction”
“Anatomy of a Fall”
“Barbie”
“The Holdovers”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Maestro”
“Oppenheimer”
“Past Lives”
“Poor Things”
“Zone of Interest”
Best actor in a supporting role
Sterling K. Brown, “American Fiction”
Robert De Niro, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Robert Downey Jr., “Oppenheimer”
Ryan Gosling, “Barbie”
Charles Melton, “May December”
Mark Ruffalo, “Poor Things”

Best actress in a supporting role
Emily Blunt, “Oppenheimer”
Danielle Brooks, “The Color Purple”
America Ferrera, “Barbie”
Jodie Foster, “Nyad”
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers”
Best adapted screenplay
“American Fiction”
“Barbie”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”
“The Zone of Interest”
Best original song
“The Fire Inside” from “Flamin’ Hot”
“I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie”
“It Never Went Away” from “American Symphony”
“Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People),” “Killers of the Flower Moon”
“What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie”
Best costume design
“Barbie”
“Napoleon”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”
Best production design
“Barbie”
“Napoleon”
“Oppenheimer”
“Poor Things”

Edited by tv echo

Barbie got a nomination for an American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Award...

‘Past Lives,’ ‘Maestro,’ ‘Anatomy of a Fall,’ ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ Among ACE Eddie Awards Nominations
By Jazz Tangcay   Jan 25, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/ace-eddie-awards-nominations-2024-barbie-oppenheimer-killers-flower-moon-taylor-swift-1235887261/ 

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” alumni and star of “Hairspray” Nina West will emcee the event. The winners will be announced during the ACE Eddie Awards on March 3 at UCLA’s Royce Hall. See the nominees below.
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (Comedy, Theatrical)
“Air” – William Goldenberg, ACE
“American Fiction” – Hilda Rasula, ACE
“Barbie” – Nick Houy, ACE
“The Holdovers” – Kevin Tent, ACE
“Poor Things” – Yorgos Mavropsaridis, ACE

(edited)

Billie Eilish's "What Was I Made For?" from Barbie won 2 Grammy Awards (Song of the Year, and Best Song Written for Visual Media)...

Grammys 2024: See the Complete List of Winners on Music's Biggest Night
By Jack Irvin   February 4, 2024
https://people.com/grammys-2024-complete-winners-list-8551812 

Also, Margot Robbie and Barbie won the Saturn Awards for Best Actress in a Film, Best Film Production Design, and Best Film Costume Design...

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Among Winners At Saturn Awards
By Patrick Hipes    Feb 5, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/2024-saturn-awards-winners-list-1235815080/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Margot Robbie Responds To Fan Fury Over ‘Barbie’ Oscar Nominations: “We Set Out To Shift Culture”
By Antonia Blyth   January 31, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/margot-robbie-barbie-oscar-nominations-responds-interview-news-academy-awards-1235809987/ 

“There’s no way to feel sad when you know you’re this blessed,” Margot Robbie said during a panel at a special SAG screening on Tuesday night.
“Obviously I think Greta should be nominated as a director, because what she did is a once-in-a-career, once-in-a-lifetime thing, what she pulled off, it really is,” Robbie said. “But it’s been an incredible year for all the films.”
Robbie also clearly pointed out that she is “beyond ecstatic that we’ve got eight Academy Award nominations, it’s so wild.” Those nominations include Best Picture, Supporting Actress for America Ferrera; Supporting Actor for Ryan Gosling, Costume Design, Production Design and Best Adapted Screenplay for Gerwig and Noah Baumbach. “Everyone getting the nods that they’ve had is just incredible, and the Best Picture nod,” Robbie said.

“We set out to do something that would shift culture, affect culture, just make some sort of impact,” Robbie said. “And it’s already done that, and some, way more than we ever dreamed it would. And that is truly the biggest reward that could come out of all of this.”

Edited by tv echo

Barbie won an SDSA Award and an SCL Award...

‘Saltburn,’ ‘Poor Things,’ ‘Barbie’ Among SDSA Awards Winners – Film News in Brief
By Jazz Tangcay, Caroline Brew   Feb 13, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/film-news-in-brief-feb-12-2024-1235908047/

Billie Eilish, Ludwig Göransson, Nicholas Britell, Olivia Rodrigo, Robbie Robertson Among Winners at Society of Composers and Lyricists Awards.
By Jazz Tangcay, Diego Ramos Bechara   Feb. 13, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/billie-eilish-ludwig-goransson-nicholas-britell-society-of-composers-and-lyricists-awards-full-winners-list-2024-1235909896/ 

• Like 1
(edited)

Barbie won 6 People's Choice Awards - for The Movie of the Year, The Comedy Movie of the Year, The Male Movie Star of the Year (Ryan Gosling), The Female Movie Star of the Year (Margot Robbie), the Movie Performance of the Year (America Ferrera) and The Collaboration Song of the Year ("Barbie World")... 

Taylor Swift, Barbie and Grey's Anatomy Score at 2024 People's Choice Awards: See the Full List of Winners
By Benjamin VanHoose  Updated on February 18, 2024 10:25PM EST
https://people.com/peoples-choice-awards-2024-winners-list-8567529 

The Movie of the Year

Barbie - WINNER
Fast X
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Film
The Little Mermaid
The Super Mario Bros. Movie

The Comedy Movie of the Year

80 for Brady
Anyone but You
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Asteroid City
Barbie -
WINNER
Cocaine Bear
No Hard Feelings
Wonka

The Male Movie Star of the Year

Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Chris Pratt, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Keanu Reeves, John Wick: Chapter 4
Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
Michael B. Jordan, Creed III
Ryan Gosling, Barbie - WINNER
Timothée Chalamet, Wonka
Tom Cruise, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

The Female Movie Star of the Year

Florence Pugh, Oppenheimer
Halle Bailey, The Little Mermaid
Jenna Ortega, Scream VI
Jennifer Lawrence, No Hard Feelings
Julia Roberts, Leave the World Behind
Margot Robbie, Barbie - WINNER
Rachel Zegler, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
Viola Davis, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
The Movie Performance of the Year

America Ferrera, Barbie - WINNER
Charles Melton, May December
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
Jacob Elordi, Saltburn
Melissa McCarthy, The Little Mermaid
Natalie Portman, May December
Simu Liu, Barbie
Viola Davis, Air
The Collaboration Song of the Year

"All My Life," Lil Durk feat. J. Cole
"Barbie World," Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice with Aqua - WINNER
"Ella Baila Sola," Eslabon Armado x Peso Pluma
"First Person Shooter," Drake feat. J. Cole
"I Remember Everything," Zach Bryan feat. Kacey Musgraves
"Seven," Jung Kook feat. Latto
"TQG," Karol G, Shakira
"Un x100to," Grupo Frontera x Bad Bunny

Edited by tv echo

Barbie won the Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild (IATSE Local 706) Award for Best Period Hair Styling and/or Character Hair Styling, in the FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE category, ...

‘Saltburn’ and ‘Maestro’ Both Collect Pair of Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards
BY TYLER COATES   FEBRUARY 18, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-make-up-artists-hair-stylists-awards-winners-1235828903/ 

(edited)

AACTA is the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (this award was presented by Cate Blanchett, who was hilariously dressed as "middle-aged Barbie")...

Margot Robbie Receives Trailblazer Award at the 2024 AACTA Awards
AACTA   Feb 10, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Masters of Craft: Creating the 'Barbie' Universe
The Hollywood Reporter   Feb 19, 2024

Margot Robbie and David Heyman Discuss How ‘Barbie’ Went from ‘Unpaved Territory’ to ‘a Film for the Ages’
BY MARCUS JONES   FEBRUARY 19, 2024
https://www.indiewire.com/awards/consider-this/margot-robbie-david-heyman-barbie-best-picture-interview-1234955016/ 

Is there a game-changing film you’d want the legacy of “Barbie” to mirror? David, you’ve mentioned before that during development, you all couldn’t really find comps for the film. 
Heyman:
Wow. There are so many films that have influenced me and shaped me both creatively as a producer, and that I just loved. And I hope and believe that “Barbie” is a film for the ages. It is very much of now, and very much a film that needed to be made now. And as I said, there were no comps for “Barbie.” And the ones that we’ve tried, we were not allowed to use. But [that] was really shocking, and obviously Margot is pioneering in her support of female stories and female directors, but it’s really shocking when you actually look back on it how few films there are not in this vein as it were, but with female leads at a significant budget. It’s disappointing. Hopefully “Barbie” can pave the way for their being myriad more in the near future.
Robbie: David’s completely right, there were no comps when we were trying to green light this project, and there still doesn’t feel like a comparison of a movie that hit the zeitgeist in the way that this did, whilst having pretty spicy cultural conversations, whilst also injecting a huge amount of joy, whilst also being at this budget size. There was such a confluence of elements in this scenario that I can’t think of “OK, when’s the last time I walked through a movie theater and saw people dressing up to go to the cinema? The Harry Potter films?”

And that was a long time ago now, but that didn’t really ignite this cultural conversation. It was more of an event for this childhood nostalgia. What I do find interesting too is — because when we got the Best Picture nomination, we thought, “Well, when’s the last time that the Academy and the public agreed? When’s the last time that the highest grossing movie of the year was also the Best Picture winner?” And it was 20 years ago, [with] the third Lord of the Rings film.

That doesn’t really bode well for us. It’s been 20 years and “Lord of the Rings” had the first and second one to be jumping off as well. But it is interesting that it is so rare for the highest grossing film to also be a Best Picture winner. It’s incredibly rare. It’s been 20 years, I don’t know how much longer it’s going to be, but as far as a comp for this scenario, I can’t think of one. But hoping for it to be timeless, always. For a movie to stand the test of time is always the goal. And there are movies that I still watch, we all rewatch movies from 20, 30, 50, 60 years ago that feels as potent today as it did back then. And that’s the mark of a great film. So I really do hope that “Barbie” is appreciated and still feels relevant in decades to come.

Edited by tv echo

Barbie got a nomination for the WGA Award for Original Screenplay...

WGA Awards: ‘Air,’ ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘May December’ Among Film Screenplay Nominees
BY HILARY LEWIS   FEBRUARY 21, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-writers-guild-awards-nominations-nominees-list-1235831599/ 

The 2024 Writers Guild Awards nominations have been revealed.
In an unusual move this year, the WGA Awards will take place after the Oscars, with the WGA winners awarded on April 14, more than a month after the March 10 Academy Awards.

(edited)

... Her dazzling, subversive Barbie, which she co-wrote and directed, grossed more than $1.4 billion at the box office, making it the biggest movie of the year, and the highest-grossing film ever directed by a woman. Barbie has since become a pop-culture phenomenon, from I Am Kenough hoodies to discourse over a third-act monologue delivered by America Ferrera about the impossible pressures women face. Alongside Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, Barbie was credited with keeping the theatrical model afloat last year; in January, the film received eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture as well as Best Supporting Actress for Ferrera.
The question of sexism also haunted this year’s Oscar race. While Gerwig was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, she was shut out of the Best Director category, while Barbie’s lead and producer, Margot Robbie, was also excluded from Best Actress, despite being acclaimed for her nuanced, layered performance. Fans wondered: Might the movie, or its star, not look like the Academy’s picture of serious filmmaking?

“Of course I wanted it for Margot,” Gerwig says. “But I’m just happy we all get to be there together.” There’s also, she points out, ample accolades for the film at the Oscars. “A friend’s mom said to me, ‘I can’t believe you didn’t get nominated,’” she says, laughing. “I said, ‘But I did. I got an Oscar nomination.’ She was like, ‘Oh, that’s wonderful for you!’ I was like, ‘I know!’”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Weirdest, Wildest Performances of the Year
By Wesley Morris    February 19, 2024
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/briefing/movie-awards-wesley-morris.html 

Best Theft of a Movie: Ryan Gosling, “Barbie”

For an audience to leave a movie theater convinced that one actor has pocketed the film implies that something went wrong, that a movie that wasn’t about that character became about the actor playing that character. Famously: Anthony Hopkins and his almost 25 minutes of screen time in “The Silence of the Lambs.” And now: Gosling — controversially, for stealing candy from a Barbie. He goes so hard at the joke that Ken is supposed to be telling on men: Strength is weakness, coolness is lame, knowledge is ignorance, twinkle is shadow. You watch Gosling’s face for some sign of a wink, but he is committed. He could have played Ken as an idiot. But the comedy of the performance, the danger of the part and perhaps the point of the movie is that the actor playing this narcissist has installed in him a soul.

Edited by tv echo