Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E21 Where No Dean Has Gone Before

• Start Topic

Dean tries to impress Keisa’s cool new boyfriend, Broderick, by inviting him and his friends over for a party Kim is throwing while Bill and Lillian are away for the night. Things get out of hand just as Bill and Lillian arrive home, and Dean is forced to admit he isn’t being true to himself.

Original Air Date: May 11, 2021

I loved the line from one of Dean's friends during the party that was something like "You're not cool, they're going to figure out sooner or later." 

I liked seeing Kim trying out something new. I thought the argument between Bruce and one of her almost friends was going to go much worse than it did. 

Broderick reminds me a bit of Claire from The Breakfast Club. He lets his friends pressure him into things and goes along with the crowd to keep his own popularity. 

• Love 2

I was worried that the party-goers were going to completely trash the house, but thank goodness they didn't. I did giggle when Bill's whiskey was replaced with root beer, like he's not going to notice. And I was more grossed out over people drinking other people's backwash while they were passing around the beer than underage kids actually drinking beer.

I really like the idea of Kim's salon. And it was nice they could talk about a thorny topic like the Vietnam War and things not coming to blows.

And on a shallow note, I loved Kim's caftan. 

• Love 6

"When the lights dim, there's sin".....

Oh do I love this show....

..and Lillian rocks a thousand times...

They better renew this show. So few modern shows (GHOSTS being one) make me laugh consistently, my world would be a bit sadder without it.

Plus, I hope this shows Don Cheadle can do comedy after The Golden Palace..and the Oceans movies...

• Love 4
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

How old is Dean, though? I thought he was 12? That seemed young for the kind of party they were having. Maybe I'm just boring, though....

I think he's 12 or 13, because he says he is in 7th grade, and that's roughly how old most people in 7th grade are.   

2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I know this show is about Dean, but I totally want a Kim spin off. Shes the breakout star to me. And the actress looks gorgeous in 70s fashion. 

I want Kim to stay on this show and have them turn into a more of ensemble comedy and let different characters take the spotlight every week. More episodes focusing on Kim and fewer episodes focusing on Dean would be fantastic. I also wouldn't mind seeing more of Bruce as well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

How old is Dean, though? I thought he was 12? That seemed young for the kind of party they were having. Maybe I'm just boring, though....

I think he's around 13. I was 14 when I went to my first party where there was underage drinking. Then again, I do live in Wisconsin.

(edited)

I went to my first "sneak a beer" party when I was in 8th grade, so I can buy kids Dean's age having a party like that. We even passed beer around to share, and as nasty as I remember that beer tasting, in retrospect, the amount of backwash must have been a thousand times worse than having a few drinks of beer at thirteen. Yuck!

I knew as soon as Kim started talking about her salon to read poetry and talk about current events, that someone would mention Vietnam and that would lead to a conflict with Bruce, but I'm glad that everyone kept a cool head and that everyone wants to do another salon. I love Kim, I really want her to get more stories. I love her engaging in more activism and, on a shallow note, the actress looks amazing in those late 60s fashions. 

Oh yeah, no way Bill would notice his whiskey being switched out with root beet, that kid just nailed it.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I loved Kim's salon and I'm glad talking about Vietnam didn't lead to fighting.

Lillian did look great in that red dress but she looks great in everything. I liked the way she was able to keep her job and negotiate more money and power. Good job Lillian. 

• Love 5

I was a little bit leery when Lillian decided to leave her State job for a new start up company that may or may not work out. I'm glad that she ended up keeping that job AND getting better money/perks out of it. Go Lillian!

• Love 9
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lillian did look great in that red dress but she looks great in everything. I liked the way she was able to keep her job and negotiate more money and power. Good job Lillian. 

Lillian is one of the best characters on the show.  Her life seems much more interesting than Dean's.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Lillian is one of the best characters on the show.  Her life seems much more interesting than Dean's.

It really is. I hope we get more stories from her and the rest of the family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I agree with you. It's strange, because Dean is more a defined character than Kevin, but I think Kevin worked better as a protagonist. On this version of the show, I think almost all of the characters are more compelling and interesting than Dean. I would much rather watch an episode where Dean is reacting to what is happening to his friends or family than to have a storyline focused on Dean.   

Kevin was more a blank slate. We know he played pick-up sports with the neighborhood kids, but the only organized team sport I remember him playing was soccer. He wasn't constantly in the shadow of his older siblings. He was just ordinary.  

At first, I didn't think I'd watch season 2 at all, but if they keep doing more stories with the rest the rest of the family and make Dean less of a focal point, I might keep watching. 

• Love 2

Another good episode. It helped to remember that Broderick brought his friends to the party and they are all a year older than Dean and Kesia, thus the drinking and games. Loved Bill's voice just booming into the basement to get them kids out of his house. And go Lillian, getting a raise and better parking spot!

• Love 3
On 6/6/2022 at 10:34 AM, jah1986 said:

Another good episode. It helped to remember that Broderick brought his friends to the party and they are all a year older than Dean and Kesia, thus the drinking and games. Loved Bill's voice just booming into the basement to get them kids out of his house. And go Lillian, getting a raise and better parking spot!

This may be only my experience or a different era, but I don't remember drinking like that happening at parties until high school. Broderick is in 8th grade while Dean and Kesia are in 7th grade. 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2022 at 2:19 AM, andromeda331 said:

I loved Kim's salon and I'm glad talking about Vietnam didn't lead to fighting.

Lillian does look great in everything. They dress her so well. The fit is amazing and all her dresses are so stylish and very appropriate for her station in life (age, career, body shape). 

• Love 2