Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Val Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

On another board they were talking about Val's lawsuit. What happened with that?

Val found a meme online that he posted to his social media babbling about why overweight children are child abuse. The parents of the child in the meme are suing him for using their child's image after he refused to take it down.

57 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Val found a meme online that he posted to his social media babbling about why overweight children are child abuse. The parents of the child in the meme are suing him for using their child's image after he refused to take it down.

I heard about that, but didn't that happen a long time ago? I'm surprised he didn't settle with them.

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I heard about that, but didn't that happen a long time ago? I'm surprised he didn't settle with them.

I guess that Chmerkovskiy chip is bigger than any of us thought.

• Love 1

Does anybody know the status of contracts? I think on the one hand Val is at a crossroads where he probably is ready to move on from DWTS but also knows he needs to do the show to keep up his celebrity status. Without the show, his fandom moves on and he doesn't have fans to support his other endeavors (tours, clothes, etc.)  Also I think he has limited other options if he wants to stay in showbiz.  He obviously can play the violin but he doesn't have any sort of commercial musical talent, at least in the way that Derek and Mark do and have been able to use in other endeavors.  He certainly doesn't sing and from the little I've seen, he doesn't act.  He's not the type that is going to likely host anything.  

The other part of me thinks he and his brother, and even Peta are being vague and non-committal about coming back because they are all negotiating for either more money or more perks. I also wouldn't be surprised if Val only agrees if they gave his lady love Jenna a pro spot.  Now that they have finally gone public on their 3rd try at dating, they also seem to be trying to position themselves as a dance/business duo- teaching classes together, etc. I think Val would probably love to leverage his position to make sure she gets her shot.  But beyond that, he really has nothing left to achieve at DWTS. When you make the finals every season, it probably loses some excitement.

17 hours ago, gohawks said:

I am wondering if Val will be on the show this year.  He is usually talking about the upcoming season at this point.  

Sounds like he's planning on it, from this interview. At about 4:35 in response to a question about whether he'd choreograph more on this season of SYTYCD he says, "I've got a whole stressful season coming up" (presumably, S25 of DWTS) 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2017 at 11:51 PM, spanana said:

Does anybody know the status of contracts? I think on the one hand Val is at a crossroads where he probably is ready to move on from DWTS but also knows he needs to do the show to keep up his celebrity status. Without the show, his fandom moves on and he doesn't have fans to support his other endeavors (tours, clothes, etc.)  Also I think he has limited other options if he wants to stay in showbiz.  He obviously can play the violin but he doesn't have any sort of commercial musical talent, at least in the way that Derek and Mark do and have been able to use in other endeavors.  He certainly doesn't sing and from the little I've seen, he doesn't act.  He's not the type that is going to likely host anything.  

The other part of me thinks he and his brother, and even Peta are being vague and non-committal about coming back because they are all negotiating for either more money or more perks. I also wouldn't be surprised if Val only agrees if they gave his lady love Jenna a pro spot.  Now that they have finally gone public on their 3rd try at dating, they also seem to be trying to position themselves as a dance/business duo- teaching classes together, etc. I think Val would probably love to leverage his position to make sure she gets her shot.  But beyond that, he really has nothing left to achieve at DWTS. When you make the finals every season, it probably loses some excitement.

I think Val and Peta are just doing what Maks does every off season....talk vague, like they have other irons in the fire, and then when the season starts there they are. None of the three are in any kind of demand outside the show and both Val and Maks have proven they're not going to be actors any time soon. Plus they need the income if there's no spring season since DWTS is the main source of income for all of them. So unless Peta's blog is going to support the entire family, they'll all be there.

As for Jenna, she's already had her shot. I always expected her to be one and done as a pro, like Henry. Val might have enough clout to give her another shot but I just don't think she's that popular outside of her relationship with him.

Edited by Toonces464
5 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I think Val and Peta are just doing what Maks does every off season....talk vague, like they have other irons in the fire, and then when the season starts there they are. None of the three are in any kind of demand outside the show and both Val and Maks have proven they're not going to be actors any time soon. Plus they need the income if there's no spring season since DWTS is the main source of income for all of them. So unless Peta's blog is going to support the entire family, they'll all be there.

As for Jenna, she's already had her shot. I always expected her to be one and done as a pro, like Henry. Val might have enough clout to give her another shot but I just don't think she's that popular outside of her relationship with him.

True, especially if there is going to be no Spring season of the show and it's yet to be seen if any of the adult pros have any involvement in the Junior version.  Will they have adult pros come in to mentor the kid couples?

Val isn't in demand, but he has steady work in the sense that he makes money teaching and promoting his studios and selling clothing (often tied into DWTS) and occasionally doing dancing tours or shows with his studio.  The issue is he needs to keep up his profile with DWTS in order to keep his fans to be able to make money doing those things.

I also think Jenna is likely to get another shot on DWTS this season, that is if she's off SYTYCD by the time pairings are made.  I think Val will really push for her, and he does have quite a bit of leverage on DWTS with no Derek and Mark around.  Especially if Val promises them that they can use their relationship for a storyline. Also Jenna has a way increased presence on SYTYCD this season so somebody is responsible for that.  I assume we will likely have Lindsay, Sharna, Emma, Peta, Witney and Jenna.  I'm guessing Kym won't be back and I doubt we will see Allison either.

11 hours ago, spanana said:

Val isn't in demand, but he has steady work in the sense that he makes money teaching and promoting his studios and selling clothing (often tied into DWTS) and occasionally doing dancing tours or shows with his studio.  The issue is he needs to keep up his profile with DWTS in order to keep his fans to be able to make money doing those things.

I do give Val credit for that. He and Tony do still teach at DWM and show up at their events a lot. Maks, on the other hand, only seems to show up to do a few lessons when he needs some quick cash and he's dropped all the other projects he's started (anyone heard about Cantamessa lately?).

I think they're going to try for a show in Vegas, but Maks has been talking for years about that and it's never panned out. Maybe a hotel will take a shot on the Maks and Val show. However, I don't see any of them being content living in Vegas, even temporarily because there's not enough paparazzi or tabloid coverage to keep them happy.

Maks and Val in Vegas??  That would be wild.  I never imagined them to be that popular.  They should go the AGT route then....marketing and exposure for the exact venue.  As dancers they seem like a dime a dozen and I like both of them.

Val and Jenna aren't going to work.  LOL  I think there is something inauthentic about his squinty bedroom eyes when he tries to convince the world of his lady loveofthemoment.  I'm just not buying it.  When he really falls in love he will keep that girl under wraps and try to protect the relationship, not leverage it.   Or Jenna.

Cheryl said that the entire industry is very incestuous and it's not uncommon to basically assume they've all slept together LOL.  I'm exaggerating but she said as much...it's not judgey or frowned upon...it's just what a lot of them do.  It makes sense though...they all have attractive bodies that they have total control over, dances are based on body contact and body rhythm so natural progression could be sexual, long hours of practicing in contact, lots of opportunity to play with lots of pretty people.....

• Love 1

Val and Jenna don't feel quite authentic to me. Neither do Derk and his paramour.

Maks and Peta seem as authentic as any other couple. Will Maks and Peta last? Maybe not. Fifty percent don't,  but I believe their  commitment is real and they both are in for the long haul.

Of course thise is all on hundred percent speculation on my part.

To be fair, Val did keep Jenna under wraps.  He's been on and off with her since she started the show (at all of 19) and basically publicly denied anything with her until this most recent go round.  Before that Jenna was blogging on her lifestyle page about her toxic one-sided relationship, which while she didn't name Val was obviously about him. Then next think you know they are back together publicly and are in love.  This is at least their 3rd go at a relationship.

I don't like Jenna or Val much, and I certainly don't think it's true love, but I do think Val might think he's in love with her.  Or he might actually love her to some extent.  It's just not this soulmates thing, if you believe that crap, that they are pretending it to be. Personally I think Val is feeling a lot of pressure to settle down and have kids.  Most of his friends, that were once single when this DWTS stuff started, are now married.  Many have already started having kids.  Val was pretty much the only "single" one in his group and combine that with needy Jenna who can never quite make herself move on from him and is willing to take part in all the fam nonsense as well as give up her own life/friends for Val.  It's a bonus that they can market themselves as a dance duo.

Also unrelated to all that, I really really hope Val is being very careful with Victoria.  I have to think Victoria is in regular consult with her doctors and I don't think Val would do anything to deliberately hurt her, but this stupid show is not worth hindering her real life recovery process.

2 hours ago, spanana said:

To be fair, Val did keep Jenna under wraps.  He's been on and off with her since she started the show (at all of 19) and basically publicly denied anything with her until this most recent go round.  Before that Jenna was blogging on her lifestyle page about her toxic one-sided relationship, which while she didn't name Val was obviously about him. Then next think you know they are back together publicly and are in love.  This is at least their 3rd go at a relationship.

Yeah I was going to say it's not so much I don't buy the relationship, as in I believe they are together, I just don't buy it as this great love story Val has been trying really hard to sell this past summer. From the outside looking in, this really felt like Jenna has been a convenient warm body for Val when he was willing to acknowledge her. The ultimate WTF for me was the Amber Rose hook-up. Like that seemed like such a slap in the face to Jenna and yet the second that so-called relationship (let's be honest, it was essentially a hookup) predictably crashed and burn, Jenna was available for Val to pick up right where he left with her. Thing is, I guess he probably learned from his brother since I feel like Maks more or less treated Peta the same way, starting with dumping her but stopping her from packing up all her things because he just knew that eventually he'd get around to her again. You know, after he tried to make a name for himself by "dating" Kate Upton and whoever else. 

2 hours ago, spanana said:

Personally I think Val is feeling a lot of pressure to settle down and have kids.  Most of his friends, that were once single when this DWTS stuff started, are now married.  Many have already started having kids.  Val was pretty much the only "single" one in his group and combine that with needy Jenna who can never quite make herself move on from him and is willing to take part in all the fam nonsense as well as give up her own life/friends for Val.  It's a bonus that they can market themselves as a dance duo.

This and I feel the same about Derek and Hayley. I am anticipating the Derek and Hayley engagement news any day now, now that Mark and Julianne are both married. Admittedly Derek didn't have an Amber Rose type fling situation and he and Hayley have seemingly been more solid for a longer period than Val and Jenna. But just like Val, there was almost a year of Derek hiding the relationship while all his fans insisted it was because he was just so private, there were numerous un-following situations on social media that convinced many people that he dumped her more than once. And then there was the epic mess on social media during the tour before the last one, when Hayley posted a picture of her and Val from their contemporary number.

No one knows what the hell prompted Derek's sudden rage (since it was picture of her and Val, some wondered if for whatever reason he suddenly thought something was going on between them) but in his typical passive aggressive style, he proceeded to un-follow her and post some comments about being glad she found a new home like the girl was some stray. Of course a few hours later he deleted it, wrote some loving message and they've since acted like the most in love couple in the world with his going overboard (though not to the extent of that long message Val wrote which was cringe-worthy on so many levels) in his I Love You messages on her Instagram. And their little teenie shippers are eating it up much like the fans of Val and Jenna. 

And in both situations I see two girls who are both very young and basically are either too immature or too ambitious to realize they can do better than those two guys. YMMV. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Yeah, alot people feel like V and J relationship is pr move to help them get more exposure but I have a feeling in a way it is for more exposure and that they r really trying to make this thing work but its coming off very phony. I don't think V is 100% invested in this relationship as want us and himself to believe. Now, I do believe JJ  is way more into him than he is her but he has noone else to stroke his ego and get him the opportunities he need. I mean he never once came and supported JJ on sytycd but now that he was given work as a choreographer on the show and got his family friend competing with JJ, he shows up and supports every week on sm.

34 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And in both situations I see two girls who are both very young and basically are either too immature or too ambitious to realize they can do better than those two guys. YMMV. 

The thing that has always skeeved me out a bit is Val picked up with a very naive Jenna who was all of 19.  Yes, she was legal.  But girl clearly had a lot of confidence issues per her own admission and was just all around very naive and insecure.  I'm not even projecting on some of these things since during her last break with Val (during the Amber Rose thing) she suddenly became a lifestyle guru who ran a blog called "Get Real with Jen" and she talked about miserable she was those first 2-3 years of DWTS, her lack of self worth, etc.  I don't think Val exactly preyed on her insecurities, but there is a level of grossness that he latched on to one of the first warm bodies that he was allowed to date.  Meaning somebody who was young, unattached, who he didn't have prior history with, and that Maks hadn't slept with or dated.  Maks may have married Peta, but I'm pretty sure he's been involved with several.  I think even he and Cheryl used to hook up casually.  While some of this might also translate to the Derek/Hayley situation, Jenna is the one that publicly put her struggles out there for better or worse and I don't know enough about Hayley.  Also I'm sure uncoincidentally, Jenna basically stopped blogging as soon as she and Val got back together.

As for Peta/Maks, while Peta put up with a lot more than many others would have--the one thing I'll say is I feel like Peta is a lot more of a settled and together person than Jenna.  Which in some ways is probably also about their respective ages as Jenna is still pretty young.  Peta always feels to me like her own person, who has her own thing going on and isn't so anxious for every little scrap of attention.  Jenna is the type that seemingly needs all eyes on her at all times and needs the public validation.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1