Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Val Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

I'm sure the producers are loving this BS. That's probably also why they overrode the actual switch voting: Bindi was with Mark, but that wouldn't produce the drama of Val with Derek's partner. And then Maks will judge them on Monday! Oh joy. Not. I'm sure they were dearly hoping for fan wars and that's what they've got.

Right and fits into exactly what I said earlier this season, that Rob Wade's brand for this show seems to be the drama/ratchet makes for great television and I'm not here for that. I didn't follow the twitter voting and I didn't vote myself but my friend who has watched the show as long as I have and loves Val, followed it and said she never saw one Val/Bindi tag and in fact didn't see many tags with Val at all. The majority of the voting seemed to be for Mark/Bindi, Derek/Alexa and Emma/Alek and I think Hayes/Witney which is another WTF of how Hayes ended up with Alison.

And someone made a good point on another board that it may not seem like a big deal, but the producers fucking with the voting in this way, when so many can clearly follow the voting on twitter, is only going to annoy some people. Not to mention make the ones who always love a conspiracy, start wondering how many other voting things they mess with. Such as, the voting for the mirrorball and with the show's ratings being average right now, do they really want to alienate and piss off more fans in that way? But hey anything for some grade school drama right?

As for this mess, honestly, YMMV but I think Val is wasting his time doing this and from what I've heard it's not the first time. Again, my friend who loves Val says she's getting tired of the rantings and is over it. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's annoying and frustrating to have shit said about you that's not true, unfair, etc. It's why I've always said that I could not be famous. But as I've always said, the internet and social media, great as it can be, is a breeding ground for assholes because of the anonymity it affords. Crazy is crazy. So Val going off on his twitter is not going to change the minds or stop the shit that's said about him on Pure or wherever else.

Guaranteed they're probably digging their heels even harder in their opinions and probably amused that they're clearly getting a rise out of him or affecting him. And all the people who say how awful the site is, they continue to feed the machine by visiting it. Because every visit, every click and comment, etc. gives them hits which continues to make them successful. Because guaranteed, how many idiots ran over there to see the drama or defend Val's honor when they read his rant. And the folks over there that run the blog can laugh their asses off with all the hits these people just gave them. 

Again, I can understand frustration but I am saying this from experience with other fandoms. Fandom is batshit crazy, sometimes a hateful, spiteful cesspool. I saw that clearly with Glee. Same thing - there were some truly hateful things said about Darren Criss, Chris Colfer and Lea Michele. And you know what they all did, just continued to block people. Yes, crazy being crazy, they popped back up with new usernames and the same shit but they just continued to block these people and keep it moving. That kind of crazy can never really be stopped - they're like fucking roaches that just keep coming back. So Val exerting all this time and energy on this is just a waste because he cannot win. They will not stop saying shit about him and making him out to be this arrogant, awful person much like the people who hate Derek won't stop saying all the awful things about him. Like do you dude and ignore the bullshit. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

That other website imho does nothing to promote dance. Moreover I can get better information by going to the source, all they do is act as a google for DWTS material and then comment as if they are experts and pretend they are the source. It's laughable, they do nothing but bitch. They are not experts, they don't even do good journalism. 

It's all about hating on pros who are not the chosen ones.  This last while it's Val who unfortunately came across a particularly nasty slanderous tweet from them. Before it was Cheryl Burke, I called out that same writer for calling Cheryl the C word, Cheryl got wind of it and asked them to stop, but they don't care. I was blocked, of course.. It is high school and ridiculous, so I am glad that Val turned it back on them with his last tweet. 

To insinuate that these pros don't do their jobs well is very harmful to them in terms of careers beyond DWTS. They don't care. That writer's boyfriend or whomever who is her "source" from the inside needs to be fired and the whole webpage shut down. 

• Love 5

Crazy is crazy. So Val going off on his twitter is not going to change the minds or stop the shit that's said about him on Pure or wherever else.

Guaranteed they're probably digging their heels even harder in their opinions and probably amused that they're clearly getting a rise out of him or affecting him. And all the people who say how awful the site is, they continue to feed the machine by visiting it. Because every visit, every click and comment, etc. gives them hits which continues to make them successful. Because guaranteed, how many idiots ran over there to see the drama or defend Val's honor when they read his rant. And the folks over there that run the blog can laugh their asses off with all the hits these people just gave them.

So Val exerting all this time and energy on this is just a waste because he cannot win. They will not stop saying shit about him and making him out to be this arrogant, awful person much like the people who hate Derek won't stop saying all the awful things about him. Like do you dude and ignore the bullshit.

I agree that the nonsense won't stop and Val's rant won't stop that particular brand of crazy. However, I do hope the show and certain media outlets see this and realize that they enable this atmosphere of attacking the pros and not just Val (the attacks on female pros are awful, too). Afterbuzz and Kristyn Burtt(?), in particular, seem to rely on them for a lot of fan input and give them validation.

This attack over the past week, in my opinion, went way beyond the reasonable reasons not to like a pro and into serious accusations. I do hope Val bringing it to the forefront will force a little change in the "official" DWTS atmosphere.

• Love 2

And honestly, if Derek ( whom I think I would definitely like better if not for them..P&$R..) is such the great guy that they are saying, then he can't endorse their vitriol and slanderous statements of other pros. He probably really does look at them as cra cra but because they are such rabid fans, he doesn't want to say anything bad about them. He really should get a message to them to tone it the heck down. They could be costing him fans.

• Love 4

And honestly, if Derek ( whom I think I would definitely like better if not for them..P&$R..) is such the great guy that they are saying, then he can't endorse their vitriol and slanderous statements of other pros. He probably really does look at them as cra cra but because they are such rabid fans, he doesn't want to say anything bad about them. He really should get a message to them to tone it the heck down. They could be costing him fans.

Doubt it. His fans are his fans, just like Val fans are his fans. I know the focus is on Pure and their vitriol but let's not pretend Val's fans aren't just as hateful and spiteful against Derek. This is what this whole stupid mess has become and in my opinion, Derek is wise in not engaging at all. Because I stand my assertion that a person cannot win. Crazy is crazy and crazy in fandoms can be REALLY batshit crazy. Their minds won't change, they won't suddenly see the light because let's face it, these are not the actions of reasonable people. The reasonable fans of the show are the ones who like who they like and move on. The people who tweet and post the hateful things are not reasonable and I've always been a firm believer that you cannot reason with crazy. It's a waste of time and energy. 

• Love 2
He really should get a message to them to tone it the heck down. They could be costing him fans.

Doubt it. His fans are his fans, just like Val fans are his fans.

Actually, that's exactly what happened to me. I don't dislike the man personally at all, but I hate the aura surrounding him with a passion, and that's where it came from.  And I will never again support him on DWTS because of it.

As for Val, I know nothing about the man personally, and I only like him when he's paired with a partner that I like and when they seem to have a good relationship.  LIke with Zendaya.  I had no idea there were these wars going on with the fan groups, so this has been an interesting morning.  And I do have to laugh about pairing him with Bindi.  I get it now. 

Edited by Thadeeeyus
Actually, that's exactly what happened to me. I don't dislike the man personally at all, but I hate the aura surrounding him with a passion, and that's where it came from.  And I will never again support him on DWTS because of it.

Were you a fan of his before? Because the comment was that he would lose fans because of this type of drama and that I disagree with that. Because as I said, his fans are his fans. YMMV of course. I don't see Derek's fans turning on him because some nutjobs who stan for him say hateful things about some other Pros and same with Val. And I do not doubt that there are people who have started disliking and hating on Derek because of his success on the show. I see it all the the time, every season in a number of comments. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

The difference to me is that this went beyond ur typical derek stans hating on val and val stans hating on derek. Those are all just opinions being thrown around and derek never responds and a lot of time val doesn't either.

This was a woman hiding behind a 'source' passing information about Vals character off as FACT...that's straight up slander.

Derek is a nice guy and all, but if there was a website that spent years with spurious insiders detailing what a horrible teacher and douchebag he was, he would defend himself in some manner too.

• Love 5

I'm sure the producers are loving this BS. That's probably also why they overrode the actual switch voting: Bindi was with Mark, but that wouldn't produce the drama of Val with Derek's partner. And then Maks will judge them on Monday! Oh joy. Not. I'm sure they were dearly hoping for fan wars and that's what they've got.

I think with Pure (sorry, I won't talk about them again if it's not wanted, it just seems like you can't leave it out with the current blow-up...) it's a case of: They do have a source, but the source is biased and prone to exaggerations. So perhaps Val did snap at Bindi once, as Derek has probably also snapped at her or at other partners. But that doesn't mean it has to have been a big deal, just normal rehearsal when you're together for hours and get slightly annoyed with each other. And the PenaVega stuff: I mean, IMO that's something you see even in their public demeanour. Carlos promotes Carlos and does what Carlos wants and Alexa also promotes Carlos and does what Carlos wants. They have a rather 1950ies approach to their relationship and gender roles, it seems.So it's not like those were some grand revelations, they were just presented for maximum melodrama.

The problem with their "source" is there's no independent verification. They can say their source said anything they want and no one can prove right or wrong.  It's very convenient that their "source" is so complimentary of their hero and so contemptuous of their "villain".  Val's tweets were interpreted by PH as Val "went psycho on Courtney for reporting what she heard" and "he was basically threatening Courtney to get her to stop reporting what she hears". This is nonsense - he was mocking her.  I see she's gone private. I guess it's easy to dish it out...until you have to face the object of your wrath.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 5

Mark has taken up against the Pure folks himself as well via Twitter. When things are at the point where your fan site or the people who run it are going in hard on someone who is like a brother to you, maybe it is time to step in an address it out of loyalty to your friend. That is a bigger deal to me than worrying about fans being turned off by the site's vitriol. But I agree that Val can't win going after these people though I do appreciate him calling them out. They are just too much. 

As for the Twitter voting, I will be honest and say that I have not followed it personally at all but I did see a post on another site that explained there is no actual way to count how many Bindi/Val versus Bindi/Mark tweets there are because of the way the Twitter analytic tools count mentions. The post actually made quite a bit of sense and provided examples of what she was saying. Basically it was something like if a tweet had multiple pairings in it for a vote, most of the sites people were using to count mentions can't distinguish who the votes were actually for. So if a tweet was posted like this "#DWTS Alexa Val Bindi Mark"..when you search for Val mentioned with Bindi, this one will still be counted even though the vote was for Val/Alexa. The DWTS rules had a lot of flexibility in how you could vote...you just needed the star's name to be adjacent to the pro's name (spaces were okay) and the #DWTS in there. In a case like what I posted, Val's name is adjacent to both Bindi's and Alexa's so he could be counted with either of them according to the rules. Without knowing what tool DWTS is using to track the twitter voting, there is no real way to know how they are making the distinctions. 

I'll see if i can dig up the post which did a much better job of explaining the whole thing. It made sense to me but like I said I have not actually tried to track any of it myself so I have no real idea about the total number of tweets, etc. 

Good lord I just read through a bunch of posts at Pure and I'm not taking sides between Val or Derek but can I just say the mods at Pure are some of the nastiest I've ever come across? All I ever really knew about them was they are Derek fans but someone needs to let them know that calling their readers assholes and saying stuff like "I'm right, youre wrong" and "get lost" is not a good way to keep a blog running smoothly. 

• Love 7

Mark has taken up against the Pure folks himself as well via Twitter. When things are at the point where your fan site or the people who run it are going in hard on someone who is like a brother to you, maybe it is time to step in an address it out of loyalty to your friend. That is a bigger deal to me than worrying about fans being turned off by the site's vitriol. But I agree that Val can't win going after these people though I do appreciate him calling them out. They are just too much. 

As for the Twitter voting, I will be honest and say that I have not followed it personally at all but I did see a post on another site that explained there is no actual way to count how many Bindi/Val versus Bindi/Mark tweets there are because of the way the Twitter analytic tools count mentions. The post actually made quite a bit of sense and provided examples of what she was saying. Basically it was something like if a tweet had multiple pairings in it for a vote, most of the sites people were using to count mentions can't distinguish who the votes were actually for. So if a tweet was posted like this "#DWTS Alexa Val Bindi Mark"..when you search for Val mentioned with Bindi, this one will still be counted even though the vote was for Val/Alexa. The DWTS rules had a lot of flexibility in how you could vote...you just needed the star's name to be adjacent to the pro's name (spaces were okay) and the #DWTS in there. In a case like what I posted, Val's name is adjacent to both Bindi's and Alexa's so he could be counted with either of them according to the rules. Without knowing what tool DWTS is using to track the twitter voting, there is no real way to know how they are making the distinctions. 

I'll see if i can dig up the post which did a much better job of explaining the whole thing. It made sense to me but like I said I have not actually tried to track any of it myself so I have no real idea about the total number of tweets, etc. 

I'd like to read that post if you can find it.

Basically, as I understand it from the DWTS FAQ, the format had to be #DWTS star pro and that's the phrase that gets searched in the analytics.  The flexibility had to do with spacing: #DWTSstarpro (no spaces), #DWTS starpro (only a space after the hashtag), #DWTS star pro (a space after the hashtag and between the 2 names). These examples would all be valid and counted.

Your example above: #DWTS Alexa Val Bindi Mark would only count for Alexa and Val. In this example Bindi and Mark would not be counted because the string-of-characters format was not followed. The tweeter's mistake was not including #DWTS immediately before Bindi's name. #DWTS Alexa Val #DWTS Bindi Mark all in one tweet would have counted both pairings.

You could have other words in the tweet before or after the string of characters such as "I love #DWTS star pro" or "#DWTS star pro is my fave pairing" but not interrupting the searchable string of #DWTS star pro

Edited by Uke

Were you a fan of his before? Because the comment was that he would lose fans because of this type of drama and that I disagree with that. Because as I said, his fans are his fans. YMMV of course. I don't see Derek's fans turning on him because some nutjobs who stan for him say hateful things about some other Pros and same with Val. And I do not doubt that there are people who have started disliking and hating on Derek because of his success on the show. I see it all the the time, every season in a number of comments.

Yes, I was very much a fan at one time. I dont want to talk anymore about this in Val's thread, but yes.

Uke, here is the link to the post. I originally saw it on tumblr and see now that it is from a Val fan site so make of that what you will. LOL 

http://valchmerkovskiyedits.tumblr.com/post/130692804277/my-useless-rant-lol

I totally missed the consecutive part of the rules you pointed out so you are correct about the example I used. I think it is 100% possible that the producers are just doing  what they want and ignoring the votes  ( I trust none of them!) but I also think it is possible that the free twitter analytic tools fans are using to track the tweets are just not totally accurate making it hard to know either way. 

Uke, here is the link to the post. I originally saw it on tumblr and see now that it is from a Val fan site so make of that what you will. LOL 

http://valchmerkovskiyedits.tumblr.com/post/130692804277/my-useless-rant-lol

I totally missed the consecutive part of the rules you pointed out so you are correct about the example I used. I think it is 100% possible that the producers are just doing  what they want and ignoring the votes  ( I trust none of them!) but I also think it is possible that the free twitter analytic tools fans are using to track the tweets are just not totally accurate making it hard to know either way. 

Thanks for the link. It's hard to tell what she's looking up.

The search boxes in her examples appear to be from Topsy's social trends (I think?), though I don't see a sort function on the page.  Then she's showing snippets of graphs from somewhere with an option to view trends on Topsy analytics.  Unless she's on a pro version (which I doubt), I don't know where she is.  If she had shown the full graph, it would have included her search string and results all on 1 image, instead of 3 seemingly unrelated images. 

Anyway I tried to replicate her results by typing her exact search string (including her typos) into Topsy analytics and couldn't replicate her results. Her conclusion is rather defensive. "Accept the fact that Bindi got Val" .Well, yes, we have to. The issue was how Bindi got Val. It wasn't by votes.  I don't really care enough to argue it.  But I will say that there are more valid searchable strings than the three I used in my example.  I just chose the three that IMO are most common if you are following the instructions given by DWTS. Also in the case of Val, I believe both Val and Valentin are valid votes so I would count both. Regardless, it doesn't make up for the overwhelming difference in votes for Bindi/Mark vs Bindi/Val/Valentin.  Also I can't remember if it was the last switch-up or the previous one, but someone from another team had compared results from several different  analytic tools (different companies) and all produced approximately the same results.  The one caveat I'd have about the results is that ABC may be working with Twitter, Inc. to use counters that can eliminate bot votes (voting by a computer-generated program)

The votes for Bindi/Mark and Alexa/Derek were being run up by both Mark's and Derek's teams. I suspect it was only Val's fans who were voting and they appear to have been split between Alexa and Bindi.  Tamar's fans didn't seem to be voting and neither did Louis' which I guess is why they wound up together.

In any case, IMO the issue is, did DWTS tell everyone to tweet their votes and then disregard the results that didn't coincide with TPTB drama-driven agenda? IMO, yes. 

Edited by Uke

I know the focus is on Pure and their vitriol but let's not pretend Val's fans aren't just as hateful and spiteful against Derek.

No. This is completely missing the point.  When Maks was on they were horrible towards him any any of his partners, when Cheryl Burke was on with William Levy they called her a C%%T.  They hate the "Fam" but Cheryl was never part of the Sway Show people and yet she was really villified.  Whenever someone threatens their perception of "excellence" meaning Derek, they go after that pro with daggars. It's really unnecessary shit and it does nothing to advance the show.

• Love 2

And honestly, if Derek ( whom I think I would definitely like better if not for them..P&$R..) is such the great guy that they are saying, then he can't endorse their vitriol and slanderous statements of other pros. He probably really does look at them as cra cra but because they are such rabid fans, he doesn't want to say anything bad about them. He really should get a message to them to tone it the heck down Jun. They could be costing him fans.

This !! Originally I was a fan for whomever could bring out the best in the partnership, originally I voted for Tony  Kym  Anna  Cheryl,  Karina, Julianne, Maks and Derek because each season there was a reason to get behind the partnership. Season 10 I started out rooting for Evan, but when his skating schedule really started to show his lack of preparation I continued rooting for Nicole and was stoked when she won.  Season 11 I was Jennifer all the way. I just loved the way these women danced and the fantastic choreo they were given. For me, those two seasons were Derek's finest work. But when in subsequent years it was all Derek all the time I thought, hell no. We have had great contestants and winners and runners up who  who were somehow getting shafted by the comments on pure.  That's when I started to see this as crazy talk and I was shocked that they thought they alone somehow affected how things went down at the show.  That lack of perspective has turned me off Derek, and I find myself rooting for Val a lot of the time, but I could easily root for Louis or Karina or Artem or Sharna. I just dont understand the lack of respect for all the other pros.

Val probably has known about Pure for awhile and that they've basically trashed him on every one of his seasons, most notably when he had Janel and Rumer. The hate was real and sometimes real crazy, pulling things out of nowhere.

He probably got tired of how it seemed like they attacked his character. Bindi posted a message on Instagram saying how much she likes Val and can't wait for Monday. Could be PR damage control, but Bindi doesn't seem like she plays into that.

• Love 4

The problem with their "source" is there's no independent verification. They can say their source said anything they want and no one can prove right or wrong.  It's very convenient that their "source" is so complimentary of their hero and so contemptuous of their "villain".  Val's tweets were interpreted by PH as Val "went psycho on Courtney for reporting what she heard" and "he was basically threatening Courtney to get her to stop reporting what she hears". This is nonsense - he was mocking her.  I see she's gone private. I guess it's easy to dish it out...until you have to face the object of your wrath.

I think this whole fiasco has actually shown quite well what the problem with their source is, I agree. I believe they know someone who has insider info (they know celebs and pairings often before announcements, sometimes weeks earlier, they used to know about dance styles and music way before announcements. Now the show posts that info beforehand as well, so it's not as big a deal anymore, but it used to matter more. They sometimes get personal details etc. right), but that someone is already super biased and then probably spins it some more to please the desginated audience. Like...their big scoop on Val this week (no matter if it was true or not) was nothing. Absolutely nothing whatsoever scandalous happened in that description of events: Bindi supposedly didn't get a step or something and Val was a bit frustrated. As has happened probably in every single dance partnership ever on this show! But then it turned into "Val is a big meanie" in the interpretation of the "source", and then it turned into "Val is history's greatest monster". And I suspect everything that is a bit opinion-based, speculative, gossip etc. goes through the same process with the source and then on the site.

No. This is completely missing the point.  When Maks was on they were horrible towards him any any of his partners, when Cheryl Burke was on with William Levy they called her a C%%T.  They hate the "Fam" but Cheryl was never part of the Sway Show people and yet she was really villified.  Whenever someone threatens their perception of "excellence" meaning Derek, they go after that pro with daggars. It's really unnecessary shit and it does nothing to advance the show.

I feel this is also important to note: They're not only against Val and Maks, though they get the most vicious attacks. They're only ever for Derek and they tear down everyone they perceive as a threat. They may patronizingly praise some of the other pros to disparage Val and Maks some more or if they are seen as "second best" and harmless. But at various times malicious nonsense has been spewed at and about Peta, Cheryl, Mark, Tony, Louis, Artem, you name it. There's a possibility that the claws will come out for Sharna now that she's direct competition for Derek's sixth mirror ball.

• Love 4

In any case, IMO the issue is, did DWTS tell everyone to tweet their votes and then disregard the results that didn't coincide with TPTB drama-driven agenda? IMO, yes. 

I, too, went to the free Twitter Analytics page and was expecting Val to end up being partnered with Paula because it looked like Mark was the overwhelming favorite partner for Bindi. I was surprised by the announced pairings, so I did a bit of research. Here's what I found. 

From the DWTS voting FAQ page:

10. How does The Switch Up voting work? I really want to see my favorite Star with a new Pro!

The vote will take place via Twitter, so you’ll need a public Twitter account to vote on the new pairs. Any tweets from a private account will not be counted. You can pick your dream combo by voting at the The Switch Up page on ABC.com, or you can follow the guidelines for valid tweets found below. (The voting module on The Switch Up page on ABC.com will generate a valid tweet for you.)

Given the demographics for DWTS, I find it plausible that much/most? of the audience would have voted using the Switch Up Voting page instead of Twitter. It's hard to say whether or not the "valid tweet" that is generated actually gets posted to Twitter. It's possible that these "tweets" are sent exclusively to an internal vote counter and are not available to the Twitter Analytics page.

I find it incredibly implausible that the show would mess with Standards and Practices in order to protect Val from having to partner with Paula for one week. That's just silly (IMO, of course).

The show doesn't have to follow the Standards and Practices rules, as far as I know? They're not a competition, they're a reality show. They just give the appearance of being a competition. And the tweets generated by the ABC site could also be publically seen via twitter. It wasn't about protecting Val from Paula IMO, it was to give Val Derek's partner so this whole nonsensical fan war could happen. It's what the producers wanted. They disregarded the votes in season 19 as well, this is not new behaviour for them. Far as I could see, no one voted for Lindsay and Carlos and Hayes and Allison either, they paired them up anyway. They don't have to follow any guidelines, they're not a proper competition. It's often in their best interests to look at voting results, but I don't think they have to.

I thought the only way to vote for the switch up was with Twitter and having a Twitter account was necessary. Let me get this straight.....I could have voted for a switch up on the ABC website without having a Twitter account? If I would have realized that, I would have voted.

What all you guys are saying about that other site is spot on. Complete bullies...

As far as the vote.. someone posted a link in one comment section to the voting spot on ABC because so many were complaining that they don't have Twitter ( I think Facbook), and I got there easy and was able to vote no problem. Don't know what happened to my vote, however, whether it was counted or whatnot.

The Season 19 problem, IIRC, was that Derek was voted with someone not in LA but he couldn't leave town because he was also doing a big Macy's Stars of Dance choreo. So they had to adjust.

I'm not aware of an analogous situation this season, though.

• Love 2

Yeah the Bindi dance wasn't nearly as good as Zendaya's real attack of the cha cha. But what is really interesting is his outrage at someone calling out his teaching of Bindi, regardless of truth.  And yet he seems just fine with the put downs of his own partner.  Kinda makes me think he's just a company man and isn't really about his students.  I was disappointed.   

• Love 1

It's true that Val isn't posting a lot about Tamar on sm. I'm not sure if that isn't because Tamar's not really promoting the partnership. She doesn't really engage her fanbase to vote. If you look at her sm, many people always ask how to vote. I'm also disappointed that Val hasn't cracked down verbally on his fans that have put down Tamar. Next week package should be very interesting.

So the Val bullying his partners thing is bunk in my opinion.  Val drives me crazy sometimes and I have some issues with him in terms of his real world behavior, but I think with Val if he sees you have potential then he will push you hard.  He's not going to play babysitter.  In that sense I think Val probably gets short (and a tad intense) with all of his partners because that is just how he teaches.  As a result maybe he sometimes takes the fun out of it for certain partners.  Of course he might come off differently if he had a Paula type or somebody that had some real limitations, but he almost always has able bodied partners with basic talent.  Val also really tries to teach his celebs real technique and tries to actually teach them to dance as opposed to just giving them choreography to get through a routine, though he probably couldn't do that if he didn't almost always get people with talent.

I've been watching Val for years and I really can't think of instances where Val was accused of bullying a partner.  However Val has gotten defensive about it a few times.  He got defensive about the Bindi situation when certain non Chmerkovskiy fans were accusing him of mistreating her, which I also don't totally understand since certain fans were acting as if Val has never worked with a teenager on this show, successfully.  

And similarly, the other time I remember Val getting defensive was with Zendaya.  I think there was one week they had a package where it showed Val being short and barking at her, which really wasn't bad especially as she seemed completely okay with everything, and he got online and went off a bit at I'm presuming some fans that were coming at him for being mean to her.  I just remember him saying something about her parents were always at the studio and if they had no problem with his teaching methods then that was all he cared about and stuff along those lines.

Sure Val has fought with partners, as all the pros have, but that isn't bullying.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

"Val yells at me all the time" that according to Tamar. Now interpretation of bullying may differ but if a teacher is constantly yelling, that would convey some sort of frustration, and they are taking it out on the learner. In Derek s case it was the name calling. These are tactics used by some teachers, but not all. Also different people react to what they are receiving. Tamar mentioned it, it must bother at least a little.

This is a stretch... I'm sure she doesn't mean it in the way where he's yelling at her in an aggressive or threatening way. She'd never take that and neither would Vince. Their rehearsal packages would be way more negative, Nene and Tony like than playful fighting. I think we need to calm down with the wild speculation. If you expect, or desire to have people give Tamar the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how she's perceived, then we should do the same for Val. Val's not a "bully" and Tamar is not an "angry black woman", let's just leave it at that. 

• Love 3

Bothering someone and bullying are not the same thing.  Bullying is a serious issue, but the word gets thrown around far too lightly.

I agree.  Seems anyone expressing their opinion with any degree of heightened  emotion is bullying the other.  pfffffffffff   

Edited by wings707

Tamar is no stranger to negative feedback.  She got plenty from Family Values.   She is a strong woman who has attitude and sass and she is clearly fine with her image.  That is who she is and she knows that and likes it that way.   I am sure she comes up against opposition because of that from time to time.  So now she is now bumping heads with Val.  Not a big deal. Two adults with strong personalities often experience this.  

• Love 1

I don't even think they're really "bumping heads". As much fuss as she puts up, she also has admitted to letting him run the show, pick out her clothing, hair etc.  I think Tamar's one of those "Why" people, and if Val can give her a reason why they're doing things(like why he's always shirtless) she goes with it.

I don't even think they're really "bumping heads". As much fuss as she puts up, she also has admitted to letting him run the show, pick out her clothing, hair etc.  I think Tamar's one of those "Why" people, and if Val can give her a reason why they're doing things(like why he's always shirtless) she goes with it.

Why Val is shirtless really needs no explanation. :).

• Love 1

"Running the show" in terms of the entire creative process is what the pro dancers have always done, sometimes with input from the celebrity, but not always. Constantly yelling at the contestant has not been the norm.  Taymars words, not mine.  

Is it just me, or did Val sound like he was giving an Oscar acceptance speech after tonight's performance? He kept thanking people til Tom cut him off.

I'm guessing that was because the judges credited him with the original choreography. He had to fix that before the attacks started.

• Love 4

I'm guessing that was because the judges credited him with the original choreography. He had to fix that before the attacks started.

Agreed.  Unlike some of the others who like to lift choreography and give no credit, Val has some integrity here.  Sure people may think it's iconic, but some of the younger ones wouldn't know if they have never seen it.  Also, credit should be paid, it should never be assumed.  Good on him.  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Exactly..... He was just giving proper credit where it was due. I also hope that that was prophetic for when he wins his own award...even though I would hope they wouldn't cut him off like Tom had to, lol

Constantly yelling at the contestant has not been the norm.  Taymars words, not mine.  

I'm fairly certain that both Tamar and Val are not shy about the use of hyperbole for comic effect.

I went in expecting fireworks and tantrums; I was very pleasantly surprised by both the package and the resultant dance. I agree with someone who wrote elsewhere that Tamar/Val's was the lone dance delivered that deserved across the board 10s on the night.

Sure, it delivered. She looked like Janet, she danced like Janet... what's not to love? But the show is dissing her big time. I'm really disappointed in how she's been portrayed and Val fed into that. That's just nasty for a good dancer to be crapped on because they don't want her in finals. The Wynn Las Vegas odds are pretty telling, these guys have been right the last few years as to who the winner is, and it just stinks how low Tamar is regarded. 

Edited by Andie1