Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E20 Bill’s New Gig

• Start Topic

Bill is excited to have made tenure at the university, only to find that his focus on career and family has cost him his spot in his band. Lillian encourages Bill to write and perform solo, especially as an attractive young jazz singer approaches Bill to collaborate. Meanwhile, Bruce adjusts to living at home.

Original Air Date: April 20, 2022

I understand Bruce is living in his parent's house and should respect their rules, but Bill giving him crap for missing curfew is out of line considering Bruce is a full grown man who's seen actual combat, even if he is under 21.  For his part, Bruce should have phoned to say he would be late so his parents would know he was okay.

• Love 10

The show is at its best when Dean is not the center of the show. This episode was great.

I can't remember the exact line, but Lillian said something about the band being high or stoned, which made me wonder how she was using those terms. At one point, those refered to being drunk, and later were used to describe being on pot or other drugs. It's a generational thing and I'm not sure where she falls on that. 

Wasn't Bruce almost able to afford a multi-bedroom apartment last week? If he wanted his own place, he should be able to afford a one-bedroom/studio. They could still find reasons to have him around the house. 

48 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

For his part, Bruce should have phoned to say he would be late so his parents would know he was okay.

I think he lost track of time and didn't realize how late it was when he left Tammy's place. 

• Love 4

You would think that Bruce would get his own place, considering he was proposing to his girlfriend not long ago you would think he could afford a small place of his own. Bill should let Bill make his own hours, he's a grown man even if he's living with his parents for now.

Nice episode, I enjoyed the focus on Bill and Lillian and Bill's music. 

• Love 4

I loved the line about "You say that as you're eating cereal that turns your milk purple".

I thought this was a good episode and love the relationship of the parents.

Bruce's line about "In Vietnam, they taught us how to kill a man in his sleep" may have been for fun but that felt like a real threat to me.

So, was the song they were working on, the show's theme song?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Bruce's line about "In Vietnam, they taught us how to kill a man in his sleep" may have been for fun but that felt like a real threat to me.

Mr. Lily thought it was completely appropriate. His exact words? "Nope. You don't fuck your brother over like that." (It's worth noting that he has two older brothers. 😂)

• Love 2
On 4/20/2022 at 9:44 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Wasn't Bruce almost able to afford a multi-bedroom apartment last week?

I thought he couldn't afford one; he only had the janitor job for money, and that wasn't enough. He was trying to get a loan from his parents to get a place for him, his girlfriend and her son, but his parents kept telling him to slow down and not rush things. He still rushed into a proposal, but when the girlfriend turned him down, I think he finally decided to stop bulldozing ahead.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, Sarah 103 said:

The show is at its best when Dean is not the center of the show.

It does feel at times like the show improves when Dean is treated more as a supporting character than the star. 

• Love 5

I do think the parents' were too harsh on Bruce about the curfew. I didn't like Kim and Dean's way of getting out of doing things. Do a bad job so their mother ends up having to do it? That's kind of crap.

I laughed at Dean booing his dad. That was pretty funny. 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:54 PM, cdnalor said:

I understand Bruce is living in his parent's house and should respect their rules, but Bill giving him crap for missing curfew is out of line considering Bruce is a full grown man who's seen actual combat, even if he is under 21.  For his part, Bruce should have phoned to say he would be late so his parents would know he was okay.

I don’t disagree with you- but I get the curfew thing. It’s disrespectful to be coming in late (after 1am) when you have adults in the house that have to be up for work. It can be disruptive. My Mom is the same age as Bruce, and when she was that age, she and a lot of her peers had parents that said “be in by x time so we can sleep in peace, OR just stay where you are until the morning.” I think Bruce should’ve just told them he’d be at Kim’s if he can’t come in quietly. I think his moving to the basement was a good solution. 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:52 AM, tennisgurl said:

You would think that Bruce would get his own place, considering he was proposing to his girlfriend not long ago you would think he could afford a small place of his own. Bill should let Bill make his own hours, he's a grown man even if he's living with his parents for now.

Nice episode, I enjoyed the focus on Bill and Lillian and Bill's music. 

I know Bruce moved to the basement, but I thought giving him 60 days to save and get a studio or find some roommates wouldn’t have been unreasonable. 

• Love 2