Type keyword(s) to search

Emily and Kobe

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Quof said:

You're already married.

You staged a piece of performance art, not a wedding. 

Eh - I don’t begrudge anyone a traditional ceremony even if they are already legally married. I did the same thing. There were reasons we wanted to get legally married as soon as possible and we also wanted to have a more traditional ceremony to celebrate with family and friends. They were six months apart and we were open about the fact that we were already legally married. So what? People came, had fun, wished us well and everyone went on with their lives.

For some people, a religious or cultural ceremony is more important than the legal marriage. Kobe and Emily might be among them. Or maybe they wanted to have a big party to celebrate their family. Who cares? Why quibble over calling it a “wedding” or a “celebration of family” or whatever?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

You're already married.

You staged a piece of performance art, not a wedding. 

That's a very cynical view, in the eyes of his extended family they were not married until the ceremony had been performed in Cameroon so it was a wedding in their eyes, if not yours or mine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have a party, have all the parties you want, say all the special words you want, engage in all the rituals you want.  But a wedding is a specific thing - the ceremony in which two people are legally joined in marriage.  

To suggest their actual legal wedding didn't really count, or wasn't a real wedding is an insult to all of the people who fought for decades for the right to be legally married. 

• Hugs 2