Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Faith is All

• Start Topic

Yorkshire, 1834. A month on from their private marriage ceremony, Ann Walker remains in York under the care of her doctor while Anne Lister, with fresh financial confidence and entrepreneurial vigour, renovates Shibden Hall in preparation for her wife to move in. Learning of their plan to co-habit, Ann's protective tribe of relations are increasingly suspicious of Anne's motives, but they can't find the right words to express their fears about the nature of her relationship.

Airdate: 04.11.2022

US Airdate: 04.25.2022

Season 2 episodes are airing in the UK a few weeks earlier than in the US.  Anyone waiting for the US airing - don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

Busy, busy episode. Anne is so energetic, does everything at 100 miles per hour, everyone around her must be exhausted!

An entertaining first episode back, plunging us back into the world of Anne and Ann, bringing us back up to speed on where we left everyone, and moving the story forward a few more paces. Anne is beginning to overstretch herself, but so far it's all working out for her - how long can that last? Ann is struggling to keep up, but by the end of the episode she was relaxing into Shibden and beginning to make firm decisions, so that was a step forward.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

Anne vaciliating between loving Ann or not was a bit of a shift from the hill proposal and marriage of the final season.

I was a bit surprised by that, but then I decided that I liked it. It allows the love story to still grow and evolve, and it opens the door for some good emotional moments when Anne finally accepts that she is in fact in love with Anne and not simply settling for her. I hope we see an "i love you" from her at some point.

On the first viewing I was a bit exhausted because the episode felt so... FULL. So many things happening! bam! bam! bam! I understand that the episode probably wanted to put across the point that Anne's life is really full in this period, now that she has money and a wife and is excited about it all. But it was still a bit overwhelming, specially on the first viewing.

The chemistry of the Ann(e)s remains and I thoroughly enjoyed all their scenes. I'm particularly excited about the potential in the story about Anne accepting that she is in fact in love with Ann. All of her actions and her reactions contradict what her words are saying. She claims to be "fond enough" and "satisfied with her" while she is basically turning Shibden upside down to make it comfortable with her. Then there's the way she looks at Ann when she's painting, the way that she goes pale when Eliza mentions that the reverend visited Ann in Scottland and how affected she is by the letter she gets from Ann, where Ann tells her that she's "entirely" hers. She also seems so relieved when Ann finally says she will write to her sister. And when she tells Ann that she's pretty, after they kiss, it's like it came from her soul... none of her usual flirty attitude, when she's almost playing the role of the seducer on purpose.

Ann, on the other hand, is so in love with Anne and she's conscious of if, but one minute with her family is enough to set her all wrong. She might do much better if they lived away from Shibden, but of course, that won't happen.

I enjoyed Charlotte and I wonder if we'll see her again.

I really liked the comedic stuff of the episode, more than I expected. The bit about the gun and the search for the groom were really funny.

I'm really looking forward to see what the honeymoon will bring... and not very excited about what Mariana will bring.

PS: Anne's wedding ring has magic powers, it apparently can only be seen when she shows it to people, otherwise no one will notice it lol.

• Love 5

I liked it (and I continue to love the theme music). I too was surprised by Anne not appearing to really love Ann, but she could be doubting herself about wanting to settle down 

• Love 4

On 4/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, natyxg said:

I was a bit surprised by that, but then I decided that I liked it. It allows the love story to still grow and evolve, and it opens the door for some good emotional moments when Anne finally accepts that she is in fact in love with Anne and not simply settling for her. I hope we see an "i love you" from her at some point.

Yeah, and is it really a change when she never did say ILY last season, even during the finale. It's not likely she'd admit it for the first time to a friend who's only just met Ann and wasn't that impressed with her. I think Charlotte misread her hesitation in describing her feelings when really she didn't know how to say it when she'd never really declared her love in any other context. She did try to deny not being in love by saying Marianna ruined her for the concept, she was older now, etc. But as you say, gazing adoringly at her wife while she was painting and kissing her letter are actions that really speak louder than her words.

I'm expecting the final closure of business with Marianna to lead to a realization of where her heart lies now and that Ann Walker truly is the better companion.

Fun fact from my s1 rewatch: this Norcliffe family was whom Anne was visiting when her groom was shot out of a tree, as told in the pilot.

• Love 5

Very nice seeing this show back, I was at first a bit surprised that Anne seemed to be going back and forth about whether or not she's in love with Ann, but I have decided that I like it. Its probably less about not being committed to Ann and about being nervous about commitment in general, especially with so much focus on her past failed relationship with Marianna. She is trying to add some emotional distance between the two of them out of fear that this might be the person she ends up with for life, even adding her to the will, making the arrangement sound more like its practical than romantic, because the idea of really being serious with someone is scary. Even as she hasn't said the words I Love You, her expression watching Ann paint certainly said a lot.

Marian is the best, as always. "Why ever would they be afraid of me?" 

Marian: *Glances at the gun in her hand."

• Love 4

I believe Anne is hesitant to dive 100% into love with Ann due to what happened with Marianna, she said as much to Charlotte. As others have pointed out though, I think she already is in it 100% and just can't admit it out loud or to herself yet. I feel they are setting it up for Marianna to do something awful to punish Anne for moving on, I will hate if that is a story line. I'm also nervous about Anne over extending her credit. She already has Ann changing her will and if she needs money for a bail out from her it will justify the thoughts of Ann's tribe in their minds. And by appearances I think they are right to be nervous, Anne has swooped in and in short time not allowed them contact with Ann for a bit, moved her from her home into Shibden and asked her to change her will. They can't see it as Ann, Anne and Anne's family do because they don't understand the true nature of the relationship. Lastly I am nervous about Marion's cough, I hope it's not actually some hideous illness.

I'm so glad this show is back! I can't believe how invested I have become in this TV family, I'm worried about them all. LOL That's great writing and acting.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, CapeCodLuv said:

And by appearances I think they are right to be nervous, Anne has swooped in and in short time not allowed them contact with Ann for a bit, moved her from her home into Shibden and asked her to change her will.

I agree that from the outside it looks bad. But Ann's family never cared about her person, only about her money, which is why I find them so off putting. They ignore her well being, but suddenly CARE SO MUCH when she starts trying to have a life.

• Love 4

Not surprised at all about Anne not really loving Ann.  I think she loves what Ann's money does for her power, not Ann herself.  Anne doesn't really love as much as conquer.  tbh i think she's on the autism spectrum.  it's all about what she gets out of it.  Her detailed, detailed journals of every single sexual encounter and orgasm she ever had in life.  i mean...fixated much?

• Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 3:31 PM, Llywela said:

Busy, busy episode. Anne is so energetic, does everything at 100 miles per hour, everyone around her must be exhausted!

I get exhausted just watching her walk!

On 4/27/2022 at 11:01 AM, CapeCodLuv said:

Lastly I am nervous about Marion's cough, I hope it's not actually some hideous illness.

You and me both!

I did enjoy the gasps of the Shibden staff when the new footman called Miss Lister a cheapskate.

And I loved the conversation between Anne and her Aunt Anne, they really do adore each other.

After all those mentions of the infamous Tib, we better meet her!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I get exhausted just watching her walk!

You and me both!

I did enjoy the gasps of the Shibden staff when the new footman called Miss Lister a cheapskate.

And I loved the conversation between Anne and her Aunt Anne, they really do adore each other.

After all those mentions of the infamous Tib, we better meet her!

I am so hoping we meet Tib as well. I see no reason they would mention this apparent big personality by name unless they planned to have her show up.

I also love Anne and Aunt Anne, so sweet together. I do wish everyone wasn't named some form of Ann or Mary though, it can get confusing. And even though I know they are true to the to the times I loathe the hair styles most of the women wear. Marion's bun is attractive but I dislike Ann and Anne's hair.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1