Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Keep Talking

• Start Topic

When Amy Taylor is admitted to the hospital accompanied by her sister, Gretchen, with signs of premature heart disease, Sam discovers a deeper medical mystery. Also, Griff anxiously awaits the results of his MRI, hoping to get to the root of his troubling symptoms.

Airing Wednesday, March 23, 2022.

Pretty sure, again, only one who watched. :D

Most of the episode, I was going "OK, I can get behind this episode. Sam and Griff are actually behaving like people to each other. And I'm interested in this." Throughout most of the episode, I was thinking that this was actually a pretty good episode.

Never mind that Malcolm's mother is as shady as all get out. Also, since when has Sam and Griff trusted Vivian's new husband? I remember the one time they were on the same page when they were competing for Department Head was them making fun of the new husband.

Also, I called it from the first flashback to the episode that Griff was drunk. Although, kudos go out to Jason Isaacs in the second therapy scene for breaking my heart when he revealed that Griff was drunk. Doesn't excuse that Griff has only been tolerable because he's being portrayed by an incredibly gifted actor though.

And then things went downhill for me.

Did Sam not ever wonder why her father didn't accompany her inside? Why her mother was at her side, not her father? Wouldn't she have ever idly wondered if he had been drinking? She was old enough to remember and wonder although maybe not understanding fully. If it was truly an accident, why would she feel the need to forgive him "1000 times"? I noticed that she never said "It was an accident. It wasn't your fault." I mean, I figured it out at the very first flashback when the doors closed and Griff was outside, and I'm not involved.

I didn't quite get what Sam was angry about, and, to me, it just seemed like a writer going "Sam and Griff are getting along too well together. I know! Griff caused the accident that made her have heart surgery because he was drunk! Yeah! More melodrama!" Of course Griff can't have PTSD because he had been shot. No, he had to have caused Sam's accident! Because, drama! I actually would have liked it better if Sam had said "Yeah, Dad, I figured out that you had been drinking and caused the accident when I was 15. I've had many years to kind of figure out what happened with the accident, and I still forgive you!"

I mean, I can understand the anger towards Griff for being drunk and causing the accident that made her have heart surgery, but that didn't seem to be why she was angry at him. Instead, she seemed angry because he didn't go inside with her. She also seemed to be less angry at Vivian for covering up the DUI than for preventing Griff from coming inside.

The other plots--

I really could have cared less about the woman making alcohol in her own body. Again, right out of House.

However, I did think the Indian man who helped the one team member (I can never remember their names!!!!!!!) finding his confidence again. That was a nice subplot.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, historylover820 said:

Pretty sure, again, only one who watched. :D

No I was there also.

BUT, IMO this show should be transferred to the daytime soaps schedule.

That's what it is and it doesn't deserve a prime-time time slot.

• Love 3

I watched too, though it took two tries since I fell asleep halfway through.  
The show is at its best when the characters are allowed to be more developed (I.e. not making scrabbling over the same job their entire personality). Jason Isaacs killed it in the scene where Griff admitted his drinking caused the accident, but that being the big secret was kinda lame.  I can’t help but hope it’s a swerve (probably not).  Agree that Sam could have probably pieced the truth out on her own, but she also doesn’t come off as very bright (at least not as written).

• Love 1

I watched too! I felt this episode was way too predictable. I swear I just saw the “body making its own alcohol” story on New Amsterdam a few weeks ago. 
The “big secret” really wasn’t. Again, too predictable and something Sam could have figured out or kept asking about throughout her life. 
Sam’s mom wouldn’t let Griff in the hospital. So what “evidence” is in that brown envelope they both were so terrified of her finding it? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, hookedontv said:

So what “evidence” is in that brown envelope they both were so terrified of her finding it? 

I thought that it was the original report (from the police? The paramedics?) that said that Griff was drunk though why they would keep it is beyond me; one would think that they would have gotten rid of all the evidence that the report was falsified.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I swear I just saw the “body making its own alcohol” story on New Amsterdam a few weeks ago. 

Also on Transplant a few weeks ago. The doctor (forget which one) said the syndrome is rare, and I said to Mr. Beezella, "Except on TV doctor shows."

• LOL 7

I called Auto brewery syndrome the second they said the patient was 3 years sober. I did enjoy the actresses all together at least. 

I don't want either Griffith to have the chief job. 

• Love 3
On 3/26/2022 at 3:33 PM, Beezella said:

Also on Transplant a few weeks ago. The doctor (forget which one) said the syndrome is rare, and I said to Mr. Beezella, "Except on TV doctor shows."

Actually this is where I saw it-Transplant! (and not New Amsterdam). 
You’re right-not rare on TV doctor shows…

22 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

On what planet would it be considered ethical for a psychiatrist to see his wife's ex-husband as a patient?? Even Griff called it, but Pyne was like, no, we aren't family, it's fine. WTF??

That's the least of this show's fast and loose consulting issues.

• Love 3