Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Empire State of Mind

jewel21
  • Start Topic

It’s graduation, and the Johnson family wasn’t going to miss Zoey’s big day! The crew comes together to celebrate their four years together and toast their post-graduation plans.

Airdate: 03/24/2022

It was a sweet episode. I didn’t think it had nearly enough closure for the mass exodus of the cast after this episode. I’m not sure if they even mentioned what Jazz would be doing post-college (other than trying to give it a go with Des) and poor Sky just never returned from the Olympics 🤷🏻‍♀️

https://tvline.com/lists/grownish-season-5-cast-spoilers-finale-yara-shahidi-zoey/yara-shahidi-returning-zoey/

Edited by Aileen
  • Love 2

Zoey went full Carrie Bradshaw in NYC. 

So were Nomi and Phil together together, or was he just moving to be near them? 

I'd like to see the show in NYC. But Junior's in Cali. Will zoey &Aaron move back, or will the show be bi-coastal? Where does Doug fit in? I wonder if we'll see familiar faces guest starring occasionally? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Zoey went full Carrie Bradshaw in NYC. 

So were Nomi and Phil together together, or was he just moving to be near them? 

I'd like to see the show in NYC. But Junior's in Cali. Will zoey &Aaron move back, or will the show be bi-coastal? Where does Doug fit in? I wonder if we'll see familiar faces guest starring occasionally? 

I would trade any of the other cast for Doug. 

• Love 3

They pretty much cleared the stage. While I'm overjoyed Luca is gone, I wish Aaron had fulfilled his teaching fellowship abroad. It was an opportunity of a lifetime and if he throws it for Zooey, he's a fool. 

Not sure how they will do the bicoastal thing, and Jr. isn't as compelling a character as Zooey was. 

And Andre saying he has nothing holding him back from moving with Zooey? Not...a Wife, 4 other kids and a job. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, dungeonwriter said:

They pretty much cleared the stage. While I'm overjoyed Luca is gone, I wish Aaron had fulfilled his teaching fellowship abroad. It was an opportunity of a lifetime and if he throws it for Zooey, he's a fool. 

Not sure how they will do the bicoastal thing, and Jr. isn't as compelling a character as Zooey was. 

And Andre saying he has nothing holding him back from moving with Zooey? Not...a Wife, 4 other kids and a job. 

While I noticed that, I think it was supposed to be a joke. Not so funny it didn’t have me pause for a moment, but I do think it was supposed to be funny/ironic. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

I rolled my eyes when Aaron came out of the taxi.   I'm guessing Aaron and Zoey must've had some offscreen discussion.   How would he even know what apartment she was in?   Not surprised Ana's not coming back with her new gig.   Disappointed Vivek isn't coming back as I liked his character.    Co-sign on being glad Luca is gone.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Meedis said:

I rolled my eyes when Aaron came out of the taxi.   I'm guessing Aaron and Zoey must've had some offscreen discussion.   How would he even know what apartment she was in?   Not surprised Ana's not coming back with her new gig.   Disappointed Vivek isn't coming back as I liked his character.    Co-sign on being glad Luca is gone.

After thinking about it, I do think she knew he was coming and that’s why she was so sure it was him at the hotdog stand. I think it was just a fake-out for the audience.

Were we ever given an actual timeline for Aaron going abroad? Maybe that portion of his work was only a few months.

• Love 4
On 3/26/2022 at 8:14 PM, Meedis said:

I wish I liked them as a couple, but I can't warm to it. I did like Aaron's smile back toward the camera at the end, that was cute. 

The scene with Ana and Vivek was sweet too, sorry to see them go. I will miss Jazz, mostly for being the only one to truly give Zoey shit. Her line encouraging Zoey to use that exact dumb accent she was doing on the subway in NYC was funny and I think only partly in jest. Jazz's reactions to Zoey's nonsense are the closest to realistic, IMO, I will never understand how the others put up her her constant self-centered drama.

Kinda random that only Doug is staying around for the Zoey/Aaron show, I wonder what his role is going to be? 

Overall it was a nice episode, but I would've liked a bit more flashing back or reminiscence given that it's the last show for 6 of the main characters. 

• Love 3

I kinda assumed that since they were keeping Doug and he's originally from New York, that they were moving the show to New York. So I'm very confused how Junior fits in and if they will be back at CalU next year, why there was such a big deal about Zoe moving to NYC to expand the clothing line. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2022 at 10:44 PM, Aileen said:

It was a sweet episode. I didn’t think it had nearly enough closure for the mass exodus of the cast after this episode. I’m not sure if they even mentioned what Jazz would be doing post-college (other than trying to give it a go with Des) and poor Sky just never returned from the Olympics 🤷🏻‍♀️

https://tvline.com/lists/grownish-season-5-cast-spoilers-finale-yara-shahidi-zoey/yara-shahidi-returning-zoey/

Wait! So we've lost everyone but Zoe, Aaron and Doug! I really like Yara but don't think her character has always been served well in the series and I hope they starting presenting a mature or maturing version of her. I really was starting to like Jazz without Sky so I'm bummed the actress is not returning. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So I'm not the only one who noticed that BIG homage to Carrie Bradshaw & SATC... The stylist for Grown-ish was kinda obvious, but in a cute way. Zoey's style (and narration) has had similar vibes thru the whole series.