Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

I had no plans on watching this but a few days ago I was like what the hell I'll check it out. I had no idea what to expect and I was so pleasantly surprised by it. It had a great balance of humor and drama and heart. So many great characters and some really good chemistry among them.

I probably liked Luci/Victoria/etc. the least. She became very annoying. I wasn't that sad they killed her lol.

I was pissed they killed Lammon though. He was so cute!

Elliott and Helen's relationship was really awesome. 

I almost wish there'd be another season just to see those characters again but I don't know what they'd do.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I loved the first 4 episodes of this series, sort of like a Coen brothers movie in the Outback. My opinion started to change in episode 5, where I thought the LSD trip went on a bit too long, and I hated, hated, hated the final episode starting from when the Russian woman entered the picture. It seemed like such a wrong way for the series to end. About the only justification I can think of is setting up a Season 2, where what we saw will be shown to be a misdirect, like so much else in the show.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 3/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I had no plans on watching this but a few days ago I was like what the hell I'll check it out. I had no idea what to expect and I was so pleasantly surprised by it. It had a great balance of humor and drama and heart. So many great characters and some really good chemistry among them.

Most of my streaming subscriptions are through Amazon Prime and for some reason they were all wonky yesterday.  That left me with Netflix, Hulu and HBO Max and I remember hearing good things about The Tourist so I thought "what the hell?"

The first couple of episodes were kind of slow for me but I slowly started getting into it and I think it really hit its stride for me once "The Man" and Helen reconnected. And then it kept up the pace as we learned everything. I didn't even mind the LSD trip and normally I would.

I enjoyed a lot of it but if I enjoyed nothing else about it, those diner scenes would have been worth it with Elliot threatening to shoot everyone as Helen is assuring them that they absolutely would not. Always simultaneously. 

On 3/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, peachmangosteen said:

But it also allows me to just imagine he lives and strikes up a relationship with Helen. If we had confirmation he died I'd probably be really pissed lol.

That's what worries me about a season 2.  At least now it can be believed that seeing the burrito, which is his happy place, got him to fight. I do have to think that the whole Russian stuff had to be a set up for Season 2.  Or at least I hope so. I'd hate for them to do a second season with no plan in place.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, Rickster said:

I loved the first 4 episodes of this series, sort of like a Coen brothers movie in the Outback. My opinion started to change in episode 5, where I thought the LSD trip went on a bit too long, and I hated, hated, hated the final episode starting from when the Russian woman entered the picture. It seemed like such a wrong way for the series to end. About the only justification I can think of is setting up a Season 2, where what we saw will be shown to be a misdirect, like so much else in the show.

Yep, I thought the LSD trip was too long and too weird.  And I didn't care for the Russian woman showing up either.  There was no resolution as to how or why what she told him came to be.  I thought we had learned he was Kosta's accountant.  Kosta himself was an international crime lord.  We learned that Elliott stole a million dollars from Kosta, which is why Kosta sent the cowboy after him.

Now somehow, Elliott wasn't just the accountant, but he was directly involved in Kosta's drug trade.  And are we supposed to believe he's Russian now?  Even though he sounds Irish?  I don't get the point of this whole last episode.

Overall, I really enjoyed this series.  It was a bit quirky, but fun and intriguing.  Great performances by Jamie Dornan and Danielle McDonald.  I hope this show gets some recognition at the Golden Globes or Emmys next year for Best Limited Series.

I read that they always intended this to be a one-and-done.  If so, I guess we are supposed to draw our own conclusions as to whether Elliott died from an overdose of whatever pills he took, or whether he survived.  Given the oddness of the show, my interpretation would have been that Elliott saw the message, but it was too late.  He dies with his last thought being that at least he had one person in the world who cared about him.

With the announcement of Season 2, however, it seems that he is saved.  I wonder what the premise of Season 2 is going to be.  They can't really do the "he goes into a coma from the pills and when he wakes up he doesn't remember who he is" angle, that wouldn't work twice.  Who besides Elliott and Helen would even come back?  Most are dead (Luci/Victoria, Kosta, Cowboy, Lammon) or locked up (Rogers).  I would think the Russian woman would be involved, maybe Elliott will try and make things right.  Somebody probably took over the crime syndicate, maybe he will try and take them down. 

I agree with the above comment that I hope they have some kind of plan for Season 2 in place.  I wonder if it will even stay in Australia, or if they are going to go someplace else.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I didn’t know what to expect from this show, but I read something that described it as Memento + Jamie Dornan, and that was enough for me. I don’t know if it was perfectly executed; the genre seemed to shift episode to episode, as did the pace. But overall, I did enjoy it. The relationship between Helen and Elliot alone was worth the price of admission, and I will be back for season 2 to see what’s next for Bonnie & Clyde.

I was already a Jamie Dornan fan before this, but now I’m obsessed with Danielle McDonald. Such a stellar performance.

• Like 3

I quickly caught up because Max is removing it in about a week.

BBC approved season 2 and production may actually be done.

Heard that it will take place in Ireland.  Besides Elliot, Helen will be a returning character.

But we don’t know which outlet will have it in the US.

Maybe it it’s in the UK soon and presumably some network or streamer will buy the rights for the US.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 2

Very Memento meets Pulp Fiction. Helen the character and actress was wonderful. The Russian woman had to be lying. I don't know why you would change your personality just because you lost your memory. And Elliott made friends and had people who liked him as well. By the time we got to this ep and all the mysteries were being explained, I didn't really care anymore - we were long past most of them. I wanted to reach the conclusion as it stood.  It was fun, tho not eapecially clever. 

On 4/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, blackwing said:

I thought we had learned he was Kosta's accountant.  Kosta himself was an international crime lord.  We learned that Elliott stole a million dollars from Kosta, which is why Kosta sent the cowboy after him.

Now somehow, Elliott wasn't just the accountant, but he was directly involved in Kosta's drug trade.  And are we supposed to believe he's Russian now?  Even though he sounds Irish?  I don't get the point of this whole last episode.

I don't know how much we can trust to be true of the LSD memories, including whether he was Kosta's accountant or directly involved in the drug trade by making women swallow heroin for transport. But if he did make women do this (and I hope it's not true because it would be so OOC from his seemingly good guy nature in his behavior toward Helen and Luci) or had to interact with the Russian women in some other way, he probably would have picked up enough Russian to communicate. It didn't seem like he was a native or even fluent Russian speaker. 

I hope @Ottis is right that the Russian woman was lying, and I agree that your personality should not change just because you lose your memory (aside from being confused, scared, and at least temporarily paranoid).

Technically it was Luci (or Victoria as she was called then) who stole the money from Kosta. I think she left the money bag in the motel room with Elliott when she broke up with him in a flashback. Elliott hid the money probably because he didn't know what to do with it. 

If they hadn't announced a second season, it would have been frustrating not to know if Elliott survives. But I hope that he and Helen eventually figure out what is true about the memories and what the Russian woman said.

• Like 1

(very) late to the party but just finished S1 on Netflix. I knew of Jamie Dornan but definitely a fan after watching, Danielle McDonald as well. They were both amazing and made me forget how haphazard the writing was at times.

Excited to hear S2 is already airing in the UK. I'd watch Elliot and Helen anywhere.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Excited to hear S2 is already airing in the UK. I'd watch Elliot and Helen anywhere.

It already aired in the UK.  It's coming to Netflix on the 29th. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1