Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Christmas Special

I know nothing about this episode, which has already aired in the UK. I mainly created a topic for it in order to have a place where news of its eventual PBS airing can be posted. I know that none of us American fans of the show will want to miss it.

(UK fans of the show: If you want to post about what happened in it before it airs here, please be kind and use spoiler tags. Thanks ever so much.)

I looked on the WETA website but there is no info. On Monday I'm going to ask them when it's going to air. Hopefully they are just waiting til Masterpiece Theatre returns on August 24th.

I know nothing about this episode, which has already aired in the UK. I mainly created a topic for it in order to have a place where news of its eventual PBS airing can be posted. I know that none of us American fans of the show will want to miss it.

(UK fans of the show: If you want to post about what happened in it before it airs here, please be kind and use spoiler tags. Thanks ever so much.)

I'm in the US and I just watched it a little while ago!! How you say? I just happened to stumble upon the dvd in the library! I had no idea ep#7 wasn't going to be airing tonight, so now I'm really glad I picked up the dvd. I mainly wanted to get it because I wanted to watch the scenes in ep# 5 where the so called "bad words"  were muted. Really PBS? Really?    Got to say, it was a lot funnier hearing them. Hearing Penelope say " he only likes dick" was the best.

Anyway, of course I won't spoil anything right here but I will say I enjoyed the Christmas episode, it was pretty much par for the course with the other six and far as being funny,although I might have laughed a little more at other eps. But if anyone wants to know some spoilery stuff I'll start here-->  

Well we got to see another first this ep, last week, we got to see Stuart's mom, and this ep we actually get to see, *drumroll*   Balthazar the dog! It's a quick shot of him running through their living room(he's cute) so I'm glad he isn't permanently paralyzed or anything. The episode mainly revolves around Ash cooking Christmas dinner for the guys(it takes him a long time and he  screws it up a bit) but while the turkey is cooking, the gang decide to play a game of Truth or Dare in the living room. The usual guests are: Violet, Ash,Penelope(unfortunately no Mason because we later find out Penelope forgot to pick him up)  The funniest part was when it's Stuart's turn(he picks Truth) and  Violet asks if ever had sex with a woman.  Of course Freddy takes some jabs then says he could answer for him, "no." Much to his surprise,Stuart says yes he has.  Freddy is all, no way. "You're lying." to which we get from Penelope, "no he isn't."  Big laughs at that point.  Yes, Stuart and Penelope had sexy times when they were young.  Freddy says he should even the score and sleep with Violet.  Stuart is all,blah blah blah, isn't that insanity Violet? The next cut is the the top of the stairs where Violet is waiting. Big laughs again.  And there were other good parts here and there,but I won't recap the whole ep. But I have to say, I think I laughed the most when Stuart was talking to Freddy and referred to Ash as "that little shit!" because his dinner taking so long to be ready. OMG I never expected to hear that. Had we heard him say that before?

So that's just some of the stuff that happen.This was just for you spoiler whore people! 

And I'll just add, their apartment was decorated really beautiful for Christmas. The tree was really pretty too. Stuart had to do it all no doubt. McKellen's hair looked shorter too. Or possibly it was just combed nicer. It was as wild that's for sure.

I'm going to miss seeing more episodes. I've enjoyed it so much. I watch with my 90+ year old dad and he gets a kick out of it too, and he's not always so easy to please when it comes to sitcoms.

Edited by Valny

I'm very disappointed PBS didn't air this episode. I wonder why. They always air the Downton Christmas episodes. It's considered part of the regular series on that show. What's so different for Vicious? 

Does anyone know if they plan to do a second season?

Edited by iMonrey

I got a reply from WETA about when they are going to show it which isn't very helpful at all -  "I'm not sure - because I think rights for that episode might be different than the first season. But I"ll see what I can find out!"

Sigh.  Oh well, my best hope is that the DVDs show up on Netflix soon.  You can't even just buy the episode on ITunes without buying the entire season.

You can't even just buy the episode on ITunes without buying the entire season.

I know. That blows. I was going to buy one episode just to hear the dialogue unbleeped, but no way was I going to buy an entire season just for that privilege.

This must have changed. Perhaps now that the entire season has aired in the U.S., the individual episodes are for sale at the iTunes store. But this was not the case when I looked two or three weeks ago. At that time, you had the buy the entire season to see any of them.

I bought my dad the S1(and only) dvd for Christmas(can't wait to do a rewatch!) , but I will still watch the special. It was one of my faves and pretty damn funny.

I'm very disappointed PBS didn't air this episode. I wonder why. They always air the Downton Christmas episodes. It's considered part of the regular series on that show. What's so different for Vicious?

So they never aired the Christmas ep?  Luckily I had seen it when I took out the dvd from the library...but I'm glad they're finally putting it out there for everyone's enjoyment.

We watched it last night via AppleTV and discovered that it has been available there for the watching ever since December 1! Who knew?

Would not place it among the top 3 episodes of the season, but it did have a couple of moments that were gems.

• Love 1
Would not place it among the top 3 episodes of the season, but it did have a couple of moments that were gems.

I agree. Not the best ep, but still funny. I kept thinking how much fun it would be to be in the audience.

Some of the bits I loved:

- When Violet is at the door, and Stewart tells everyone to make a lot of noise. I couldn't tell if they were actually saying words or just making noise, but it cracked me up.

- Playing Truth or Dare:

Freddie: Truth or dare?

Ash: Truth.

Freddie: Is there something burning in the kitchen?

- After Stewart reveals he slept with a woman:

Freddie: You're lying.
Penelope: No he isn't.

Freddie: Oh Vi… Please don't compare your filthy relationships to us.

Stewart: I had to pretend you were Gregory Peck.
Penelope: How flattering, because I've always liked him.

I also liked finally seeing Balthazar. 

I don't know if my local PBS stations (in DC area so WETA/MPT) aired this on Christmas (which didn't matter since Crapcast decided to go out about 4:00 PM and not return until 9:00 AM the next day), but I just saw it on demand and enjoyed it. I thought that Balthazar would be larger for some reason, and I loved Mason's call at the end.

I don't know if my local PBS stations (in DC area so WETA/MPT) aired this on Christmas (which didn't matter since Crapcast decided to go out about 4:00 PM and not return until 9:00 AM the next day), but I just saw it on demand and enjoyed it. I thought that Balthazar would be larger for some reason, and I loved Mason's call at the end.

I had checked the WETA and MPT schedules the week before Christmas and didn't see the episode listed anywhere.  I didn't even think to check OnDemand, so I must thank you Popples!  I watched it yesterday and quite enjoyed it.