Type keyword(s) to search

Production News, Spoilers & Speculation: 60th Anniversary / Season 01 & 02 (Disney+/BBC)

DanaK
  • Start Topic

I figured I would create this now since there are a ton of rumors right now on various casting and some valid sources saying shooting for the 60th anniversary in the Spring.

So here we go on stuff that's likely valid all the way to wild rumors

Some likely valid stuff: Some industry sources and Reddit and Gallifrey Base posters have indicated that shooting on the 60th Anniversary special and possibly Series 14 will start this Spring. The Reddit poster TomeDeaf who has gotten various things right about Series 13 has indicated shooting will start in May and a Gallifrey Base poster I generally trust, lets call him RS, says shooting will start on Monday May 2 and that an announcement of the new Doctor should come at some point after the broadcast of the Legend of the Sea Devils special in April and the beginning of May. Reddit's TomeDeaf indicated they initially heard there would be an announcement in January of the new Doctor but believes now that the announcement is further off now but before May

Reddit's TomeDeaf has indicated the 60th anniversary will be composed of 3 specials to play out over a short amount of time, either a 3 nights in a row thing or on the 60th Anniversary, Christmas and New Year's Day, but the timing really isn't clear at this point. The poster also said Series 14 will be composed of 8 episodes

There are various reports that producer Phil Collinson has returned to help produce the show. Reddit's TomeDeaf has indicated that Scott Handcock has left Big Finish and will be Davies' assistant script editor

As for wild rumors, there are all kinds of rumors (and that's even been reported on TV news programs) that David Tennant will be returning for at least the 60th Anniversary special (or specials) with some rumors saying as 10, some as a variation of 10 and some saying as the 14th Doctor for the special(s) who will then regenerate into the 15th Doctor for Series 14 and beyond. At the very least, it's quite possible and believable we'll see David in the 60th as the 10th Doctor, but beyond that, it's a crazy hash of wild rumors that is hard to parse. There are also rumors that Catherine Tate, who played Donna, will return for the 60th, though some rumors say she won't be Donna, but again, wild rumors that are hard to parse

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

I figured I would create this now since there are a ton of rumors right now on various casting and some valid sources saying shooting for the 60th anniversary in the Spring.

So here we go on stuff that's likely valid all the way to wild rumors

Some likely valid stuff: Some industry sources and Reddit and Gallifrey Base posters have indicated that shooting on the 60th Anniversary special and possibly Series 14 will start this Spring. The Reddit poster TomeDeaf who has gotten various things right about Series 13 has indicated shooting will start in May and a Gallifrey Base poster I generally trust, lets call him RS, says shooting will start on Monday May 2 and that an announcement of the new Doctor should come at some point after the broadcast of the Legend of the Sea Devils special in April and the beginning of May. Reddit's TomeDeaf indicated they initially heard there would be an announcement in January of the new Doctor but believes now that the announcement is further off now but before May

Reddit's TomeDeaf has indicated the 60th anniversary will be composed of 3 specials to play out over a short amount of time, either a 3 nights in a row thing or on the 60th Anniversary, Christmas and New Year's Day, but the timing really isn't clear at this point. The poster also said Series 14 will be composed of 8 episodes

There are various reports that producer Phil Collinson has returned to help produce the show. Reddit's TomeDeaf has indicated that Scott Handcock has left Big Finish and will be Davies' assistant script editor

As for wild rumors, there are all kinds of rumors (and that's even been reported on TV news programs) that David Tennant will be returning for at least the 60th Anniversary special (or specials) with some rumors saying as 10, some as a variation of 10 and some saying as the 14th Doctor for the special(s) who will then regenerate into the 15th Doctor for Series 14 and beyond. At the very least, it's quite possible and believable we'll see David in the 60th as the 10th Doctor, but beyond that, it's a crazy hash of wild rumors that is hard to parse. There are also rumors that Catherine Tate, who played Donna, will return for the 60th, though some rumors say she won't be Donna, but again, wild rumors that are hard to parse

Interesting. Thanks!

I am watching David Tennant on Masterpiece Theater remake of Around The World In 80 Days (He is Prof Fogg) Dude is keeping busy!

Thank you, DanaK!!!

Man, I hope we find out soon who the new Doctor is!

Maybe Catherine Tate will be the new Doc LOL.

DanaK, have there been any rumors on who is cast?

Edited by Maren
Ask a question
6 minutes ago, Maren said:

Thank you, DanaK!!!

Man, I hope we find out soon who the new Doctor is!

Maybe Catherine Tate will be the new Doc LOL.

DanaK, have there been any rumors on who is cast?

We’ll hopefully hear something by May. Practically the entire cast of “It’s a Sin” have been rumored, along with numerous others

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

We’ll hopefully hear something by May. Practically the entire cast of “It’s a Sin” have been rumored, along with numerous others

Thank you!! Maybe I need to check out an episode so I can see these "potential Doctors" LOL.

It just occurred to me: If the last episode of Chibnall's run airs in Autumn this years and RTD's run starts with the anniversary, that means there will be no Special in next Christmas season! That would be the first for New Who! I hope that's not the case, I need it for my Christmas 😢.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:53 PM, JustHereForFood said:

It just occurred to me: If the last episode of Chibnall's run airs in Autumn this years and RTD's run starts with the anniversary, that means there will be no Special in next Christmas season! That would be the first for New Who! I hope that's not the case, I need it for my Christmas 😢.

I hope the BBC does something Who-related for Christmas or New Years' Day, even a non-fiction special or reunion of various people would be nice

Radio Times interview with Russell Davies. Davies talks some about Doctor Who and generally about what's coming up https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/russell-t-davies-tv-100-interview/

• Love 2

Unverified info/rumor: Actress Lydia West, who has been rumored as the next Doctor, was at Bad Wolf Studios last week and the visit was related to Doctor Who

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Wasn't 13 revealed in a commercial during 12's last episode?  I wonder if they'll do the same thing.

If I've read correctly, her final episode doesn't air until the fall, which doesn't jive with an announcement in 'the coming weeks'.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Wasn't 13 revealed in a commercial during 12's last episode?  I wonder if they'll do the same thing.

She was revealed in a specially made video after the 2017 Wimbledon Championships men's finals on July 16, 2017

• Love 3
On 4/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, DanaK said:

A journalist is saying on Twitter that an announcement for the 14th Doctor is expected “in the coming weeks”

Just to update, the journalist has indicated he doesn’t really know the timeline. It could be weeks or months from now

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Just to update, the journalist has indicated he doesn’t really know the timeline. It could be weeks or months from now

Good old internet 'journalism'. "We don't know anything, but it won't stop us from speculating in order to drive clicks." From the minds behind the words 'seemingly confirmed'.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

This made me giggle. So the 'journalist' reported that the 14th Doctor would be announced sometime before they appear on screen. Good to know! LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

ETA: Now that I've typed that out, I realize I can't recall if 'we' always knew who the Doctor was going to regenerate into before the episode aired. I only started watching in the New Who era (with 9), and he had already regenerated into 10 by then (it was discovering David Tennant in something else that spurred me to watch Who). So was it ever a surprise? 

I don't think it was ever a surprise. I can't remember exactly for Tennant but Matt, Peter, and Jodie were all announced before they aired.

I am so hoping they cast someone good. I really miss being excited about Who. Haven't felt like that since Jodie and Chris took over. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Maren said:

I don't think it was ever a surprise. I can't remember exactly for Tennant but Matt, Peter, and Jodie were all announced before they aired.

I am so hoping they cast someone good. I really miss being excited about Who. Haven't felt like that since Jodie and Chris took over. 

David Tennant was announced before he took over. I remember that Casanova was on TV, and I wasn't sure if I should watch it. I did watch it. He played both roles pretty similar IIRC.

16 hours ago, Maren said:

I agree with you. I miss the excitement I would feel every week to see what was going to happen. 

• Love 2

Posted by Bad Wolf on their Twitter feed. Screenshot taken from the actor’s Instagram. Russell Davies was the one who commented “The future is here” on the IG post. It’s not clear yet if the actor is playing the next Doctor or a companion, but it does seem to be an announcement about Doctor Who casting

The interview in the linked article has Davies saying he's not going to say more about the new era until Jodie's final special is broadcast this year

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ncuti-gatwa-jodie-whittaker-bbc-russell-t-davies-tv-baftas-b2074163.html

“She [Jodie] is still the Doctor. She has got an enormous finale, an epic finale, a 90-minute finale in October. So we are polite gentlemen. It is only right and fair to shut up.

“2023 you will be fed up of us. We will be ready by then. Until then we bow to Jodie. We love her.”

• Love 3
4 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

They moved it from August to October? Or did Davies misspeak?

I’m not sure what you read to think that. It was always said to be in the Fall

The account is teasing something, with the diamond shape suggesting it is something to do with the 60th anniversary, so expect some announcement soon, even if it's about filming starting

6 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Hmmm, that “coincides with” language. Sounds like may be more like a minisode (think “Night of the Doctor”) than an actual episode?

“Scenes” and “coincide”. A lot of odd and careful language, plus Davies throwing out all kinds of possibilities as to how David and Catherine return. I think they are trying to hide for now exactly what shape the 60th anniversary will take, whether it’s one or three specials (rumors have said the latter) or whether there will be minisodes as well

• Love 1
(edited)

They are currently doing some filming David Tennant has been photographed and taped and Bernard Cribbens as Donna's grandfather Wilfred was also spotted on set. Director Rachel Talalay has also been spotted and photographed but it's not clear if she's directing or just visiting. Jodie's Tardis has been spotted and photographed as well. Matt Lucas has reportedly been seen as well, but I haven't seen pictures

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yasmin Finney from the Netflix "Heartstoppers" series has posted a cryptic post that seems to be Doctor Who related, possibly suggesting she'll be playing a character named Rose for the 60th anniversary filming. Plus, Davies left a comment saying "Doctor Who's own Heartstopper". There was an earlier casting call for someone to play a young transwoman named Rose so this might be about her, as she herself is a transwoman

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdoGPj6IILH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by DanaK

Another Rose? RTD really does love that name!

18 minutes ago, DanaK said:

The link isn't working for me, possibly an overloaded website. If I find a working link to a press release I'll post it

The link worked ok for me, @DanaK

Another Rose. Of course I've read theories that this Rose could be Donna's daughter, since last we saw her she got married. It's a time travel show so time doesn't matter in regards to her age. I like this theory rather then it being an variant Rose (to borrow from the MCU).

Or she could just be another character named Rose. 

• Love 4

More filming going on, the below picture of Yasmin Finney, Jacqueline King and director Rachel Talalay, who may or may not be directing (she denied she was directing yesterday though she was seen on set)

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sakura12 said:

Another Rose. Of course I've read theories that this Rose could be Donna's daughter, since last we saw her she got married. It's a time travel show so time doesn't matter in regards to her age. I like this theory rather then it being an variant Rose (to borrow from the MCU).

Or she could just be another character named Rose. 

OMG -- I could not love this idea more. I hope it turns out to be true! And Donna naming her daughter Rose makes a LOT of sense given the original Rose/Donna interactions. . . . 

• Love 4
(edited)

A white bunny-like alien looking figure was sighted on set during filming. There are fans who think this may be Meep the Beep, a cute looking though vicious alien from a Doctor Who comic, but this hasn’t been verified. If true though, it means Davies would be adapting a comic book story for at least part of the 60th, which would be a first for the show. There’s another bug like alien sighted on set as well that some think may be Wrath Warriors, also from the comics, also unverified

Doctor Who Wiki on Meep https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Beep

Edited by DanaK